Due to regulations governing the processing of employment documents, newly appointed graduate assistants (GAs) will experience delays in receiving the first installment of their compensation. New GAs are advised to bring enough funds to cover for the pay lag, which may be seven weeks or longer for domestic students and nine weeks or longer for international students.

Required Documents for Employment

New GAs are required to provide the documents below for employment at UHM. Having these documents in proper order will expedite the processing of employment papers.

Documents to establish identity and employment eligibility

For domestic students, see instructions on the I-9 Form. For international students, refer to International Students On-Campus Employment.

Social security card

Students may apply for a card at the Social Security Administration located in the Prince Kuhio Federal Building. A valid photo ID issued by the government is required for entering the building. Prior to applying for a card, international students need to report first to the International Student Services, see  Obtaining a Social Security Number.

Social Security Administration
 Prince Kuhio Federal Building, RM 1-114
 300 Ala Moana Blvd
 Honolulu , HI 96850
 Tel. (800) 772-1213
 TTY: (800) 325-0778
 Hours: M-F 8:30am-3:30pm
 Map & Directions

Certificate of tuberculosis (TB) examination

The certificate must have been issued within the past 12 months and state that the practitioner, who is licensed to practice medicine in the United States or its territories, has examined the individual on a particular date and found the person to be free of communicable tuberculosis. Also required on the certificate are:

  1.  dates of administration and reading of the Mantoux tuberculin test,
  2.  the transverse diameter of induration in millimeters,
  3. the date, location, and name of reader of the chest x-ray, and
  4. the signature or unique stamp of the practitioner.
Back To Top