Conferral of Degrees

The UHM confers degrees three times annually — in December, May, and August. Students who have completed all of their degree requirements may at any time during the semester may, upon written request, receive certification from the Graduate Division that the degree will be conferred at the end of the appropriate term, provided their records are clear of all discrepancies.

Graduation Checklist

Graduation Checklist for PhD Doctoral candidates (PDF)

Graduation Checklist for Masters Plan A Thesis (PDF)

Graduation Checklist for Master Plan B (PDF)

Filing for Graduation

Students who plan to graduate must to file an Application for Graduation with the Graduate Division Student Services, by the deadline specified in the Calendar. Note fees listed below:

Other Deadlines

In addition to filing the application for degree by the appropriate deadline, students also must observe deadlines for the final examination and for the submission of thesis or dissertation. The various deadlines, the date of commencement and other related information are published on the bulletin board outside the Graduate Division Student Services, in the Calendar, and on MyUH.

Degree Check

Upon receiving a student’s Graduate Application for Degree, the graduate program shall conduct a degree check using STAR and the program’s own records for the student. Instructions for using STAR are available in the STAR Departmental User Manual. The graduate chair shall certify that the student has met all degree requirements on a Certification for Degree Award form.

The Graduate Division automatically deletes from the graduation list the name of any student whose final grade for any required course contains either a grade of I (incomplete) or a missing grade (unless certification is received beforehand from the graduate chair that the course in question is not required for the degree), or whose records show any other discrepancies. Students who are unable to complete all degree requirements by the specified deadlines should notify the Graduate Division Student Services as soon as possible.

Issuance of Diploma

Diplomas are issued by the Registrar’s Office two months after graduation. Students can also obtain a Hawaiian language version of their degree. All inquiries regarding diplomas should be addressed to the Registrar’s Office. Please do not send any inquiries to the Graduate Student Services Office.

Postponing Graduation

Students who wish to postpone graduation until the next semester may do so only with sound academic reasons, which must be verified by the graduate chair. During the additional semester (Fall, Spring, Summer) prior to graduation, all students must be enrolled in at least one credit (i.e., 699 or designated Plan B course, Thesis 700, or Dissertation 800).

Back To Top