To be eligible for an assistantship, a student must:
- be a classified degree-seeking* student in a Masters or PhD program under UHM Graduate Division,
- be in good academic standing and maintain a GPA of 3.0 or above,
- maintain 6 credits per semester with the exception of those who have reached 800 (dissertation) or 700F (thesis) (See Current Students > Graduate Students > Course Loads),
- possess the necessary qualifications and experience for the position, and
- demonstrate proficiency in English** if applying for a teaching assistantship,
- must be employed for at least 12 weeks during the semester (as defined by Graduate Division).
* Students enrolled in only a graduate certificate program are not eligible. Visiting students are generally not eligible.
** TOEFL scores of 600/100 (paper/Internet) or above, with subtest scores of 25 for listening and 25 for speaking, or IELTS score of 7.0 or above for the overall band test results.
Eligible students apply for assistantships through their departments or units. Top applicants are nominated by the department or unit and approved by the dean or director as appropriate. Selections are made on a competitive basis and appointments are contingent on the availability of funds. Selection criteria include GPAs, standardized test scores, experience, past performance as a GA (if applicable), recommendations, and suitability for the position. Reappointment is contingent on continued eligibility and satisfactory performance of the GA. In addition, all reappointees must meet any criteria established for new appointees.