A Post-Baccalaureate Unclassified student (PBU) is one who holds a bachelor’s degree and who enrolls at UH Mānoa without seeking a specific degree. Applicants must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents. Since Fall 2008, PBU students have been governed by Graduate Division academic policies, although they are exempt from policies involving academic progress and degree requirements.

PBU status is useful for students who are changing fields and need to acquire coursework equivalent to an undergraduate music major before applying for one of the Music Department’s graduate programs. It is also useful for a student who is not yet ready to commit to the seven-year timetable of a graduate degree.

A PBU student who is subsequently admitted to a master’s degree program may apply PBU credits toward graduate degree requirements, subject to certain limitations. Be sure to consult with the Music Department Graduate Chair and the graduate area for specific information about transferring PBU credits. See also the Graduate Division’s page on transferring and applying credits.

For students whose GPA falls below the minimum allowed, PBU status also provides the opportunity to work toward admission by taking courses in the major field. After completing 12 credits in the major field with a 3.0 average, the student may reapply. If the coursework consists of upper-division courses (300 or above) and one or more graduate-level courses (600 or above), s/he may be able to transfer some or all of this coursework into the master’s program.

Any PBU student with an interest in entering one of the graduate programs should consult with area faculty members and the Music Graduate Chair for further information. In any case, admission as a PBU student does not guarantee subsequent admission as a degree-seeking student.

To apply for PBU status, the student must submit an application form and official transcripts that verify a bachelor’s degree or graduate degree from an accredited college or university. PBU application deadlines are July 15 for entrance in the Fall semester and December 15 for the Spring semester. Intended PBU students should download the relevant application form and visit the UH Graduate Division’s website for prospective students.

Please mail the completed form to:

University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa
Graduate Admissions Office
2540 Maile Way, Spalding 354
Honolulu, HI 96822