- MUS 231_ Applied Music, Western (1 cr)
Individual instruction in solo vocal or instrumental performance at elementary level.
Pre: audition or consent.
Students wishing to enroll in applied music courses must get department approval. Approval is also contingent upon evidence that the student is making satisfactory progress toward completion of the minor and is meeting the distribution requirement. Music minors are accommodated whenever possible, but music majors have priority. (Registration is monitored and verified by the Department Chair.) Instruction is given in 14 individual half-hour lessons per semester. Lessons are not made up unless the instructor is notified in advance that a student will miss a lesson.
Registration for lessons and choice of teachers must be approved by the music minor advisor, department chair and applied area. Assignment and admission to MUS 231 are based on auditions given by the department during the advising and registration period. Applied music courses cannot be audited or taken on a CR/NC grade basis.
MUS 311_ Non-Western Music Ensembles I (1 cr)
- Performance of literature for groups of various sizes and kinds at introductory level.
- Pre: upper division standing or consent. Repeatable.(B) Hawai‘i
- (C) China
- (D) Japan
- (E) Korea
- (F) Indonesia
- (G) Philippines
- (H) India
- (I) Polynesia
- (P) Africa
- (Q) Other
MUS 312 Hula/Chant Ensemble (2 cr)
- Ancient style.
- Pre: upper division standing or consent. Not repeatable.
MUS 410_ Ensembles (1cr)
- Performancae of literature for ensembles and performing groups of various sizes and kinds.
- Pre: audition or consent. Repeatable.(B) Hawaiian chorus
- (C) University Chamber Singers
- (D) Piano-Vocal Collaboration
- (F) Chamber music
- (G) Guitar
- (K) Jazz
- (M) Contemporary music
- (N) Theatre music
- (O) Percussion
- (P) Flute
MUS 411_ Ethnic Music Ensembles II (1 cr)
- Performance of literature for ensembles and performing groups of various sizes and kinds.
- Pre: 311 in same section. Repeatable.
MUS 412 Hula/Chant Ensemble II (2 cr)
- Ancient style.
- Pre: MUS 312 or consent. Not repeatable.
MUS 413 Hula/Chant Ensemble III (2 cr)
- Ancient style; halau protocol.
- Pre:412. Repeatable.
MUS 414 University Concert Choir (1 cr)
- Performance of a range of choral literature.
- Pre: choral experience and consent. Repeatable.
MUS 415 Opera Workshop (var cr)
- Opera in performance. Styles and characterizations. Performance of scenes and one complete work.
- Pre: Upper division standing or consent. Repeatable.
MUS 416_ University Symphony Orchestra (1 cr)
- Performance of orchestra literature, including major works for chorus and orchestra, opera and dance.
- Pre: audition or consent. Repeatable.
- (B) Symphony
- (C) Chamber orchestra
MUS 417 University Javanese Gamelan (1 cr)
- Performance of Jogja and Solo Gamelan traditions; Uyon-uyon,Wayang Kulit, Wayang Wong.
- Pre: 311H or consent. Repeatable.
MUS 419_ University Band (1 cr)
- Performance of literature, including works by contemporary composers.
- Pre: audition or consent. Repeatable.(B) Symphonic wind ensemble
- (D) Concert band
- (C) Symphonic band
- (E) Marching band
MUS 421 Acting V: Musical Comedy (3 cr)
- Essential training in skills required to perform in musicals. Students present scenes from musical comedies for criticism and review.
- Pre: 231B, (THEA 321 and THEA 322), audition, or consent (cross-listed as THEA 421).