Registration Changes

Enrollment Status

Enrollment status for each semester is determined by the number of credits for which you enroll. Credits taken for audit are not counted in determining full or part-time enrollment status.  Changes to your enrollment status may impact financial aid and veterans benefits eligibility.  You are encouraged to consider the implications of changing your credit load carefully before adding or dropping classes.


Enrollment Status Credits
Full-Time 12 or more
Three Quarter-Time 9 to 11
Half-Time 6 to 8
Less than Half-Time 1 to 5

The Graduate Division determines classified graduate student enrollment status.

Add or Drop Course

Add a Course
You may register for courses online in STAR GPS during the open registration period until the deadline to add courses. Once the deadline has passed, you will need to complete an Add a Course Form (PDF) and get approval from your instructor, your Graduate Chair (for graduate students), and Student Academic Services office. It is not guaranteed that you will be able to add a course once the deadline has passed.

This process includes other registration changes such as changing your grading option to/from CR/NC or a letter grade A-F and changing your credits for a variable credit course.

Drop a Course

Dropping a course may have academic and financial implications. Please review the table below for information:

Time in the Semester With or Without “W” Grade Tuition Refund Fees Refund How to Drop
Before the semester begins No “W” grade 100% 100% STAR GPS
August 26 – September 3 by 11:59 p.m. (HST) No “W” grade 100% 100% – will be reflected
on September 4, 2024
September 4 -17 by 11:59 p.m. (HST) No “W” grade 50% 0% STAR GPS
September 18 – November 4 by 11:59 p.m. (HST) With “W” grade 0% 0% STAR GPS

After November 4, please see your College’s or School’s advising office or Graduate Division to drop a course. If you plan to withdraw from all of your courses at UH Mānoa, visit Withdrawing from UH Mānoa

Audit Course

Grading options include normal grading (A-F), credit/no credit (CR/NC) or audit (L). The grading option that you select must be an acceptable grading mode offered for the course. Not all courses are available to be taken for audit.

To audit a course, you must complete the Audit a Course Form (PDF) with your instructor and submit the form to the Office of the Registrar by the deadline to add courses. Once registered in the audit grading option, you may not change to the A-F or CR/NC grading option unless you have written permission from your instructor.

You must pay full tuition & fees for audited courses. Credits taken for audit do not count toward your enrollment status (full-time or part-time) and are not included in your financial aid eligibility. Auditors do not take course examinations and receive no academic credit. You will receive an “L” grade on your transcript for audited courses.