1098-T Education Credits

The U.S. Congress established federal tax credits for qualified college tuition and related expenses under the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997 and the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) of 2009. Please visit Tax Credit Information (UH System) for more information about these tax credits as well as other education-related tax credits. For additional help, review IRS Publication 970 (PDF).

All students (except nonresident alien students) who paid qualified tuition and related expenses for credit classes, or received a scholarship or grant between January 1 and December 31, 2023 will receive a Form 1098-T Tuition Statement. This form will reflect amounts paid on your student account during the calendar year (regardless of the year in which the semester started), as well as scholarships and grants paid during the same period. Reportable amounts for Spring 2024 posted to your student account prior to December 31, 2023 will be reflected in the 1098-T form for calendar year 2023.

Your 1098-T Tuition Statement will be available for viewing electronically on your MyUH Portal from January 31.  An email with the subject line “Important Tax Return Document Available” will be sent to your hawaii.edu email address at that time.  For additional information about the delivery and retrieval of your 1098-T form, visit the Bursar’s Office website.

To access and print your Form 1098-T Tuition Statement:
  1. Login to MyUH Services.
  2. Search for 1098T.
  3. Select View/Print 1098-T Tax Form and Information.
  4. Enter the appropriate tax year (2022) and click Submit.
  5. Print the pages for your information and files (use the ‘Print Screen’ feature on your keyboard to capture a screen shot of the contents on your computer screen). This information will be accessible for only 2 years on MyUH Services.

Information for Nonresident Alien Students

If you are a nonresident alien for any part of the year, you generally cannot claim the education credits. However, if you are considered a resident alien of the United States for tax purposes, as defined by the IRS, you may be eligible for the American Opportunity Tax Credit or Lifetime Learning Credit. Form 1098-T Tuition Statement will be provided to nonresident alien students who have provided their Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) to the Office of the Registrar.

For additional information, see IRS Publication 970, Tax Benefits for Higher Education. Further information on claiming education tax credits for nonresident alien students can be found in IRS Publication 4152. If you require additional information on whether you qualify for the education tax credits and how to claim the benefits, please consult with your tax advisor.

Important Note about Social Security Numbers

Under federal law, you are required to provide your Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) to the University for reporting tax information on the 1098-T Tuition Statement. If you fail to furnish your correct SSN or ITIN to the University of Hawaiʻi, the IRS may impose a penalty of $50.00 unless your failure is due to reasonable cause and not willful neglect.