The Hawaii ASM (HI-ASM) and the Northern California ASM (NoCal-ASM) jointly hosted the Virtual Spring 2022 Regional ASM symposium on Saturday 16 April from 8:30 AM – 3:00 PM.
Keynote speakers were Dr. George F. Araj, PhD, Director of Clinical Microbiology, University of Beirut Medical Center who spoke on “Brucellosis and Challenges in Diagnosis”, and Dr. Barbara L. Holler, MD, PhD, Professor of Laboratory Medicine & Medical Director, Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital who presented “Clinical Microbiology Topics”. Dr. Dennis Mangan, PhD, Chalk Talk Science Project Director gave a talk to the students on “Science Communication”. The keynote speeches were followed by oral and poster presentations by graduate and undergraduate students from UH Manoa, UH Maui College, and Kapiolani Community College.
Congratulations to all the HI-ASM student presentation award winners:
- Aquena Ball
- Stefanos Giannakopoulos
- Endrei Marcantonio
- Olivia Smith
- Mallory Wilson
- 1st place: Aquena Ball, JABSOM, UH Manoa
- 2nd place (tie): Aneesan Golshan, David Maison, Olivia Smith; JABSOM, UH Manoa
- 1st place: Michael Faundo, JABSOM, UH Manoa
- 2nd place: Mallory Wilson, JABSOM, UH Manoa
- 1st place: Michaela Kop/Mona Hirose, UH Manoa
- 1st place: Brien Haun, JABSOM, UH Manoa
- 1st place: Rodson Zorilla, JABSOM, UH Manoa
- 1st place: Austin Peppers, Kapiolani Community College
Thank you to the Northern California and Hawaii Branch ASM members and officers, and the Hawaii Student ASM officers for making this event possible.