Sexual Assault Information and Reporting

Learn more about reporting options here

It is hard to know what to do, how to feel, or what your options are after a sexual assault. Please know that you are not alone.

Click here for to view the University of Hawaii policies pertaining to sex and gender based misconduct.

If you or someone you know has been sexually assaulted, here are some options*:

  1. Go to a safe place.
  2. Call the Sex Abuse Treatment Center’s 24-hour hotline at (808) 524-7273. They will send a counselor to meet you at the Kapiʻolani Medical Center for Women and Children’s Emergency Room at 1319 Punahou Street. All of their services are free and confidential. A medical examination is important because it can protect you from possible injuries, STDs, and pregnancy resulting from the assault.The Sex Abuse Treatment Center does not require you to report the assault to the police, but may be able to hold evidence should you decide to report at a later time. Advocates at the Sex Abuse Treatment Center can assist if you decide to report to the police at that time.
  3. Talk with an advocate or counselor who is trained to assist survivors about the emotional and physical impacts of sex assault. On campus, you can reach the Mānoa Advocate  at (808) 956-9499, the UH System Confidential Advocate at (808) 341-4952, of the or Counseling and Student Development Center at (808) 956-7927 to talk to an advocate or trained counselor. Trained confidential advocates are also available through the Sex Abuse Treatment Center.
  4. You may report the assault to police (911) or UHM Department of Public Safety (UHM DPS)  at (808) 956-6911. UHM DPS is available 24 hours a day; accessible to you whether you live on or off campus. Read UHM DPS’s Commitment to Survivors of Sexual Assault.
  5. Call a family member, friend, or campus counselor. UHM provides counseling services to students, Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.. The Counseling & Student Development Center is located on-campus in Queen Liliʻuokalani Center for Student Services Room 312. Residents in Student Housing may access these services through Counselors-in-Residence (CIRs) who also live in Student Housing. CIRs are also available for walk-in appointments from 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. on weekdays, and after-hours emergency counseling on evenings, weekends, and holidays. CIRs may be reached by contacting your Resident Assistant (RA), the RA on-call, or a Resident Director (RD). For more information, visit the Counseling & Student Development Center.
  6. Preserve all physical evidence of the assault. If possible, avoid showering or brushing your teeth, and save all of the clothing you were wearing at the time or linens that were used. Place all garments in a paper (not plastic) bag.
  7. Write down as much as you can remember about the circumstances of the assault, including a description of the assailant.
  8. Get information about legal issues. You may contact the Sex Abuse Treatment Center at (808) 524-7273 or the Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network (RAINN) Sexual Assault Hotline at 1 (800) 656-HOPE.

*Information courtesy of the UHM PAU Violence Program and from the Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network (RAINN)

UHM Department of Public Safety’s Commitment to Survivors of Sexual Assault

Sexual assault, including date/acquaintance rape, is a very serious crime. UHM Department of Public Safety is here to help you. If you are a survivor of sexual assault on campus, the department will guarantee the following:

  1. We will meet with you privately to take your report, either at our offices or at an on-campus place of your choosing.
  2. Our officers will not prejudge you, and you will not be blamed for what occurred.
  3. We will treat you and your case with courtesy, sensitivity, dignity, understanding, and professionalism.
  4. We can assist in arranging for any necessary hospital treatment or other medical needs. If emergency housing is needed, we can give resources that may be able to assist.
  5. If you would feel more comfortable talking with a friend or advocate of your choice present, we will do our best to accommodate your request.
  6. We will assist you in privately contacting the Mānoa Advocate, the UH System Confidential Advocate, Counseling & Student Development Center, and other available services.
  7. We recommend that you allow us to contact the Honolulu Police Department. However, this is optional and we will respect your decision if you choose not to. Whether or not you choose to involve local police will not change the level of service you receive, or the resources available to you.
  8. Throughout the process, UHM DPS is available 24/7 to answer questions, explain the system and process involved, and be a listening ear if you wish.
  9. We will consider your case seriously, regardless of your gender or the gender or status of the suspect.

Please do not hesitate to call UHM DPS at (808) 956-6911 if you are a survivor of sexual assault. We are here to help you any time of day or night.

Confidential (Does not report to UHM)
Download Sexual Assault Reporting Information