Frequently Asked Questions

(click on tip or questions to view more)


The safety of the campus community is our priority. We at the UH Mānoa Department of Public Safety believe our campus is generally safe; however, we are part of a large urban community and a public institution, so we urge individuals to take precautions for their own safety and security. UHM DPS has many resources to help you determine if UHM meets your expectations of safety. Please visit the UH Alert Emergency Notification page for the UHM Annual Security & Fire Safety Report for crime information and statistics occurring on and around the UHM campus. Please visit the Workshops and Training Sessions page for information on crime prevention programs.
Many of the thefts that occur on campus may be prevented by securing your property and never leaving your property unattended. Please visit the Safety Tips page for literature regarding safety and prevention.


Lost and Found

If you think you have lost something on campus, please use the following procedures:

  1. If your item was lost near a building, please check with that department or offices located in that building.
  2. If the item was not kept there, please check at the Campus Center Information & ID Office.
  3. If the lost item is not at the Campus Center Information & ID Office, you may file a lost report and you will be notified if your item is turned in. A limited amount of lost and found information can be given over the telephone.

All items turned into the Campus Center Information & ID Office are held for at least a semester. Please file lost reports with this office in person or via telephone at (808) 956-7236. Items must be claimed in person, and a specific description will be required upon return of the item.

A small amount of items are turned into the UHM DPS Lost & Found directly. Report lost items by calling (808) 956-6911 or filing the report in person at the UHM DPS office, located in the Campus Services Building at 1951 East-West Road.

Turn found property into UHM DPS at any time by calling (808) 956-6911. We are located in the Campus Services Building at 1951 East-West Road.

Cardholders are responsible for immediately deactivating and/or reporting a lost or stolen UH Manoa ID Card to the Campus Center Information & ID Office

Use eAccounts to immediately deactivate a lost card.

  • Login using your normal UH username and password
  • Select “Card Services” from the top menu
  • Click on “Deactivate Card”

Note: If the card is found you may follow the same process to “Reactivate Card.”


Contact the Campus Center Information & ID Office at (808) 956-7236 or email to request to have your card frozen. Please include “Lost or Stolen Card” in the subject line. You may be contacted back to verify your information, so please provide your contact information in the body of the email.

Stop by the Campus Center Information & ID Office (Campus Center, second Floor) during regular business hours to get a new Mānoa One Card. As specified in the ID application, there is a $25 replacement fee for replacement cards; as well as additional charges if participating in the U-PASS program and in need of a replacement sticker.

Your Mānoa One Card is used to verify your identity and to complete financial transactions, so cardholders must be careful with the whereabouts of their cards in order to keep it safe. Use of the card by anyone other than the individual issued the card is strictly prohibited. The card holder can and will be held liable for illegal use, and is responsible for reporting a lost or stolen card.

Contact to help us freeze the card account. Please include “Found Card” in the subject line and the information that is printed on the card. Stop by the Campus Center Information & ID Office (Campus Center 212) during business hours to return the recovered card. Collect your good karma points.

Residents are responsible for carrying their key(s) at all times and locking their door when they go out. There are two instances where a resident may require a staff member’s assistance to access their room and is defined as either a key replacement or a lockout.

During desk hours, a resident should go to the front desk of their residence hall if they are locked out or have lost their room key. If the resident has lost their room key or is locked out, the resident will be issued a key replacement. After desk hours of operation, a resident should contact the Resident Assistant On-Call of their community (for on-call numbers see respective hall/apartment complex fliers or contact your community front desk).

If the resident is locked out, the RA will admit entry to room and upon entry, the resident will present their current room key or replacement key will be issued. If the resident has lost their room key, the resident will be issued a key replacement at the student’s expense. For more information, visit the Student Housing FAQ page.

UHM DPS will not unlock a student’s room under any circumstances.


Personal Safety and Security

You can report a crime in-progress by calling UHM DPS at (808) 956-6911 or Honolulu Police at 911. For non-emergency situations or to report a crime that is not currently in progress, visit our Report a Crime page.
Report harassment by calling UHM DPS at (808) 956-6911 or Honolulu Police at 911. A UHM DPS officer can help you assess the situation and offer suggestions to help resolve the problem. It is better to notify our office and ask for help than try to handle things alone.

It is recommended that you walk with a friend or in groups, and stay in well-lit pathways closer to streets and main walkways. Become familiar with emergency call box locations. If you are alone at night and need to get to another location on campus, call our Security Escort Services at (808) 956-SAFE (7233).

Let your friend(s) know your whereabouts with the Mānoa Guardian App. Download it for free on Google Play or on the App Store.



You are not required to register your bike with UHM, but we strongly recommend that you register your bike with the City of Honolulu. In the event of a theft, unregistered bikes are difficult to return to owners because they are so difficult to track. If you bought your bike used, don’t forget to transfer ownership into your name so you can prove ownership and claim it if found. To register your bike, visit the Honolulu Bicycle Registration page. Please also familiarize yourself with UHM Bicycle Parking Regulations per UH Commuter Services.
Bicycle theft can be a problem anywhere. Always be vigilant with your property – secure your bike to protect your investment. See our Preventing Bike Theft page for more information on securing your bike.



We recommend contacting your insurance company to see if your policy includes roadside assistance. UHM DPS may be able to assist in “jump starting” vehicles parked on campus, provided that an officer is available and the vehicle owner is requesting assistance. If the vehicle breaks down in an unsafe location (i.e., the middle of the street) and/or a jump start will not solve the problem, an officer may assist in getting the vehicle moved to a safe location.
UHM DPS does not unlock cars or provide tools for unlocking. Please request roadside assistance through your car insurance provider or call a locksmith or tow company.


Building Access

We will only unlock offices for people who have locked their own keys in their own office. You must have a picture ID and we must be able to verify that you should have access to the office. If we cannot verify your access, you must contact your supervisor for access to your office. We apologize for the inconvenience, but security is our first priority.
For access to a university building after hours, please contact your department’s office for their procedure for establishing authorization. We recommend that you come back to the building during normal business hours.


Community Involvement

UHM DPS provides presentations to the campus community on many safety-related topics. Presentations can also be individually designed for specific audiences that combine topics or address specific concerns and issues. Visit our Workshops and Training Sessions page for a list of current offerings. For more information or to schedule a presentation, contact our Crime Prevention Unit at