You’ve got questions, we’ve got answers! The FAQs below are organized by themes and represent the most common questions we receive. If you can’t find the answer you’re looking for, please feel free to contact us at and we’ll work on connecting you with the right team.


A:  See our list of items to bring on our Move-in page.

A: You can obtain your UH Mānoa ID Card, now known as the Mānoa One Card, at the Campus Center Ticket, Information and ID Office after you have registered for classes. See Mānoa One Card – Student Life & Development for more information.

A: Yes, however any packages sent directly to the halls should be sent to arrive AFTER you move in. Building staff will not accept packages before hall opening as they are not equipped to safeguard such deliveries.

A: Yes, however, it is recommended that items of value are taken with you if you will be leaving during the break periods.

A: Students who arrive or depart outside of the scheduled hall opening dates must find alternative off-campus housing.  Our Conference Housing program may also be an option, however spaces are very limited at this time.

A: Yes. Conference housing provides on-campus accommodations for those needing temporary accommodations. Please visit our Conference Housing pages for additional information.

A:  The SHS transfer process occurs a few weeks into each semester. Residents will receive an email informing them of the transfer period, along with instructions on how to request the transfer.

A: If a student has authorized the housing department to release their name and contact information, this information is available at

A: Contact your RA or any other hall staff member. They will be able to talk to you about the situation, offer you different options about what to do or assist in helping you communicate with your roommate(s). For more roommate information, please see our Roommate Resources Page.


A: Your housing balance may be paid either by visiting the Student Housing Services cashier office or online on MyUH. Refer to Payment Options | MyUHINFO for online payment methods accepted by the University.

Please note that online payments require payment of your entire balance including, but not limited to, tuition and fee charges.

Credit/Debit Card payments:  To ensure proper credit to your housing account, please make your payment online through your MyUH account by following the steps below. This process allows you to pay ONLY your housing and meal charges.

  1. Access your account at
  2. Click “Pay Tuition and Fees”
  3. Log in with your UH username and password
  4. Select “Make Payment”
  5. Select “Pay by Line Item” (if you do not pay by line item and select housing and meal charges to be paid,your payment may be applied against other outstanding charges such as tuition.
  6. Select Student Housing charge(s) with description “Man Housing…” and “Man Hsg Meals…”
  7. Follow payment instructions

In-person payments:  Payments to the Student Housing Cashier Office may also be made via check (payable to the University of Hawaii) or money order. Payments may also be made in person at the cashier window in Frear Hall. To ensure that your account is properly credited, your name and student ID number should be included with your payment.

A:  The University has an installment payment plan. More information can be found here:

A: The Student Housing Services office follows the university practice of billing by semester. The spring portion of your housing cost will be posted to your account in mid November.

A: Hopefully, you have already made your initial payment by the deadline indicated on your housing invoice. If you paid your entire housing balance, any remaining balance will be disbursed into your MyUH student account when your financial aid is received. If you paid only the $400 reservation fee, you will be responsible to meet all housing payment deadlines. Please contact the Student Housing Services cashier office if you have payment questions before a payment is due.

A: When your initial payment is made, $100 is put into a security deposit account. Unfortunately, this account cannot be seen on-line through the MyUH site. After you checkout and once all post-checkout damage charges have been posted, the deposit will be released into your University Student Account. Once released to your account, the payment will have the description “Man Housing Deposit,” and will be applied to the balance of your University Student Account. Any remaining credit balance will be refunded to you.

A: If you have other UH charges (i.e. tuition, student activity fees, etc.) that are unpaid, the system will redirect your housing and/or meal plan payment and apply it to those other outstanding charges first. Therefore, though you intended to pay off your housing charges, your account may still show a balance due for housing charges if you had other UH charges that needed to be paid off first. Your initial $400 reservation fee, however, will be immediately applied to housing charges only ($100 as a security deposit and $300 as rent).


A: If you are assigned to a residence hall, your participation in the meal program is required. If you are assigned to an apartment community, your participation in the meal program is not required. However, apartment residents may elect to have a regular meal plan or participate in a plan designed for apartment residents. Meal plan information may be found on our Residential Dining page.

A: Residents will have two opportunities (pre-hall opening and post-hall opening) to make changes to their meal plans. Once the semester has begun, residents will have the first two weeks of the semester to change meal plans. (Points from your initial plan will not be changed.) Meal plan changes may be made by emailing the Student Housing Services office at: Please include your name, UH ID number and indicate which meal plan you want.

A: Unused retail points (those included with the meal plans) will be forfeited at the end of the academic year. Points added during the academic year will not expire except after two years of inactivity.

A: Meal plans may be used at any Student Affairs Dining location on campus. This includes Campus Center Dining, Jamba Juice, Starbucks, Ba-le, Simply To-Go, The Market at Noelani, and at the Hale Aloha and Gateway House cafeterias. Visit Homepage ( to check out what’s open and hours of operation.


A: A valid Health Clearance is required to live in student housing. You will not be allowed to move in without a valid health clearance. All students must comply with the following requirements:

  1. Tuberculosis (TB) Clearance
  2. Measles Mumps, Rubella (MMR)
  3. Tetanus-diphtheria-pertussis (Tdap)
  4. Varicella
  5. Meningococcal Conjugate (MCV), for first-year students living in on-campus housing only

A: The Community Standards have been updated with additional policies that are based on Department of Health guidance as well as city and state requirements. Please view the Fall 2022 Policies in full here.

Residents should pay careful attention to these requirements and speak to their RA if they have any questions.

A: Yes, call Campus Security Dispatch at 66911 and they will try to provide you with an escort when you are walking on campus at night. Learn more about the Safety Escort Service…

A:  For urgent issues hall staff are on-duty each evening and 24/7 on weekends. Duty phone numbers can be found at: and are posted throughout the building.

In the event of an immediate health and safety emergency, you can also call 911 or the Department of Public Safety (DPS) at 808-956-6911.

Student Housing Services has 4 main community desks to serve you:

  • Hale Aloha Lokelani Community Desk – (808) 956-6283: Serves all Hale Aloha residents. Open 8am – 8pm.
  • Gateway House Community Desk – (808) 956-6181: Serves Gateway House, Frear Hall, and Johnson Hall students. Open 8am – 8pm.
  • Hale Kahawai Community Desk – (808) 956-6060: Serves Hale Laulima and Hale Kahawai students. Open 11am – 8pm. (Students can visit the Gateway Community Desk for help when the Kahawai desk is closed.)
  • Hale Wainani Community Desk – (808) 956-6019: Serves Hale Wainani residents. Open 8am – 8pm.

Addresses to these desks can be found at

The community desks serve as a resource for you for questions and assistance. They can also issue you a replacement key should you lose yours or lock yourself out of your room.

Please note: all mail will be delivered to the Frear Hall Mail Center (entrance is off of Mānoa Walk to the the right of the residential entrance to Frear). 

Mailroom Hours of Operation:

  • Monday & UHM Observed Holidays: CLOSED
  • Tuesday – 10AM – 6PM
  • Wednesday – Friday – 10AM – 4PM
  • Saturday & Sunday 10AM-1PM


A:  Each resident is assigned a Resident Assistant (RA). Your RA is a student staff member who is here to support your success in SHS and the university. RAs have a wealth of information and are a great resource for any questions you have. Your assigned RA will reach out to introduce themselves and provide you with a way to contact them. If you haven’t connected with them yet you can contact your Residence Director (contact information in following section) via email who can put you in touch with them. Additionally, please expect your RA to schedule a meeting with you to check in periodically over the semester.

A:  Each community has a Residence Director (RD) and some also have Assistant Residence Directors (ARD). These are the professional staff that oversee the residential program in each community and supervise the Resident Assistants. Contact information for your RD/ARD can be found at:

A: Between the hours of 8am and 8pm, you can go to your community desk to get a replacement key. Additionally, between 8pm and 8am daily (and 24/7 on weekends), you can contact the RA on-duty for your community. During business hours, you can also contact the Residential Life office at (808) 956-8300.

A:  The Counseling and Student Development Center is staffed by licensed mental health professionals. Please contact them during normal business hours at 808-956-7927 or refer to their website for information:

We also have a Counselor-In-Residence (CIR) program for after hours support for mental health emergencies. CIRs can be accessed through the hall staff on-duty.

A:  The university maintains several websites that provide information about various campus activities. Some of the websites are as follows:

Campus Center Board Activities Council:

Art events:

Theater and Dance events:

Academic and Community Events:

A:  Student Housing’s Community Standards can be found at Every resident should make sure they are familiar with the Community Standards so they know what is expected of every individual. If you have any questions, please contact your RA.

A: Depending on the severity of the alleged violation, you will receive a request to meet with a Residential Life staff member or a member of the UHM Office of Student Conduct  to discuss the violation and incident. Depending on the type of violation, you may face disciplinary action. Failure to attend the meeting could result in disciplinary sanctions being imposed without your input.

A:  Residence Hall Association (RHA)
The Residence Hall Association is to serve as the voice and advocate for, and with, students living in the University of Hawai`i at Mānoa Residence Hall Community. RHA represents these students of the residence halls and apartments, connecting them to the larger campus and local community. We foster a sense of belonging amongst residents by creating an inclusive atmosphere with social, educational, and cultural countenance towards care, and formulate an environment of safety and ‘ohana. By providing opportunities for leadership, we strive to help residents enjoy their experience as part of the University of Hawai`i at Mānoa ‘ohana.

RHA General Body Meetings
Every Wednesday
Zoom Meeting ID: 944 039 4123 (Passcode: RhaGA23)

Instagram: rhamanoa

National Residence Hall Honorary (NRHH)
The National Residence Hall Honorary (NRHH) is a leadership-based honorary organization comprised of exemplary residential students who value recognition and service. NRHH strives to provide recognition for individuals who have contributed to the advancement of college and university housing. NRHH members have a passion for serving others, and seek to give back to the community through regular service events. If you’re looking for a chance to develop your leadership skills alongside other passionate, positive students, join us at our weekly meetings. We can’t wait to welcome you to the ‘ohana!

NRHH General Body Meetings
Thursdays at 7:00 PM HST
Frear Hall 12 Floor Conference Room

Instagram: @nrhh.manoa

Community Councils
Community Councils (CC) are structured to be a student government council for each of the residence hall communities. Community Councils typically meet once a week for a general meeting, and put on one program each month. The CC is overseen by one professional staff and student staff (RA) who act as an advisor to the group. CC is a great stepping stone to further a resident’s leadership and professional development. Many CC members go on to being an RA, RHA or NRHH Executive Member, or other leadership role on and off campus. If you are interested in learning more about your hall’s community council, please contact your RA, ARD, or RD.

A: A variety of student assistant jobs are available within Student Housing Services (such as Community Desk Coordinator, Utility, and Grounds) throughout the year. Please see our Work with Us page. 

For other on-campus student positions, see the Student Employment site or visit the  Mānoa Career Center in the Queen Liliuokalani Center for Student Services.

A: Each residence hall has card operated washers and dryers for your use. Locations vary depending upon the building.

A: All student rooms have access to the campus-wide UHM wireless network. Information about connecting can be found at  In addition, all rooms are provided with a datajack for residents who prefer to use a wired connection.  Please be aware that users of the network are expected to abide by the ResNet policy provided in section 17 of the Community Standards. Technical support can be obtained by submitting a Service Request or calling (808) 956-6800.

A: Yes, however automobile parking is limited to those with parking permits issued by Commuter Services. Mopeds and motorcycles may park in designated lots on-campus only if they are registered with Commuter Services and have a parking sticker for that designated lot. Learn more about Commuter Services…


A:  Shortly after move-in, all residents will receive an email with instructions to complete their Room Condition Form (RCF). This form allows you to report the condition of your room upon move-in so that you are not charged for any pre-existing conditions. It is required you complete the RCF within 72-hours or receive the email notification and instructions.

Throughout the year, if there are any maintenance concerns in your room, you can file a Service Request at SHS Operations staff will review your request and communicate or schedule the work as needed. If you have any questions about the status of your request, you can contact SHS Operations directly through the service request system, or ask your RA for assistance.

A:  Your request will be addressed as soon as possible. Staff will work on the request depending on priority and the order that it was received. The amount of time required to make the repair will vary depending on the nature and severity of the issue.Please make sure the information you provide in your service request form is detailed and accurate to ensure a timely response. Additionally, please watch your UH Gmail account for notifications from the system as staff may contact you if they need you to provide access to your room or if they need more information in order to complete your request.

A:  Email notifications will be sent to your UH Gmail account. If you haven’t received an email after submitting your service request, please check your Spam folder. If you find these emails in your spam, be sure to mark them as “not spam” so any future emails will be delivered to your inbox. The Pilikia System will send you notifications upon the submission of your request and each time your request is updated. You will also receive “new message” notifications if SHS staff requires additional information about your issue.

A:  You can log into the Pilikia System at any time to view your service requests and follow up on the status. Status updates will be emailed to your UH email address.

A:  You will receive a confirmation email to your UH email address when the repair is completed.

A:  Log into the Pilikia System and view your request. Add your message to the “Communication Log” section of your request page. SHS staff will respond as soon as possible.

A:  Please submit your issue on this form: SHS staff will contact you as soon as possible to resolve the issue.


A: RISE is managed by B.HOM Student Living as UH’s first externally managed student housing complex. It is being developed as a public-private partnership between UH, UH Foundation and Hunt Companies. It is not managed by UH Mānoa Student Housing Services.

A: RISE, or Residences for Innovative Student Entrepreneurs, is a brand-new facility at the University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa. RISE is a unique innovation center with dormitories for 373 students. Residents at RISE must be enrolled at one of the 10 UH campuses and be interested in creativity, collaboration, innovation or entrepreneurship.  To learn more, visit or RISE FAQ.