Visit Honors Mākālei to start your Honors Student journey!
Applicants must have a cumulative high school G.P.A of 3.5 or higher. Our ideal students have been involved in a range of extra and co-curricular activities throughout their education, including leadership roles, volunteering, employment, international exchanges, and more. Many of our students take AP or other college level courses during high school. If you feel you meet these requirements you are encouraged to apply to our Honors Program. If you have any questions about this please schedule a “Prospective Student” appointment with one of our advisors.
You should apply as a First Year Honors Student for our full 4-year program if you have earned fewer than 43 college credits.
When to apply
If you are entering UHM in the SPRING SEMESTER you should apply by
- November 1st
If you are entering UHM in the FALL SEMESTER you should apply by
- MAY 1st – PRIORITY DEADLINE to be eligible for the Honors Residential Learning Program and Honors Priority Registration.
Note: Priority registration for Fall semester course registration and Honors housing priority will be given to students who complete their Honors applications including Honors interview by May 1.
Honors will continue to process applicants over the summer, but students are encouraged to complete their application process (including admission interview) by June 15th.
- JUNE 15th – Final deadline for the FALL SEMESTER entry
When you complete your Honors application via Honors Mākālei you will be asked to:
- A completed Online Application Form
- A Recommendation Form completed by a relevant teacher or other appropriate figure
- It is your responsibility to ensure your recommender completes this–please discuss your application to Honors with them!
- Once the above are received you will be instructed to schedule your Admissions Interview
- You should follow the directions in the email from Mākālei to schedule your interview, using our online appointment booking webpage
- Interviews are available in person at UHM or via distance by telephone or Skype
- Please keep in mind that ALL interviews will be scheduled according to Hawai‘i Standard Time