Registration Status: Registration is closed! Mahalo!
To receive email updates about future camps (including announcements of registration dates), please fill out our camp information sign-up form. Other inquiries can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Summer 2022 – Lyon Nature Camp
The Lyon Arboretum Education Department would like to invite your children to join us to learn, explore, and create in the Mānoa rainforest!
This time our theme is “Rainforest Adventures!”
Camp will feature outdoor explorations, science investigations, and behind-the-scenes tours at Lyon. Camp participants will do activities including, but not limited to, informal science, hiking the grounds, nature-based arts & craft projects, and kōkua within our Children’s Garden. The experience takes full advantage of Lyon’s vast plant collection, conservation efforts, and other features that are unique only to Lyon Arboretum.
We hope that the experiences your child has at Nature Camp help to foster a positive relationship with the environment and foster the idea of themselves as land stewards. It promises to be a time of fun-filled learning that your child will always remember!
You can read some of the kind things our camp families have said about this program at this UH News article from July 2020: “Lyon Arboretum Hosts Modified Kids Camp.”
Time: Camp each day goes from 8:30 am – 2:30 pm. Children may be dropped off no earlier than 8:00 am each morning.
This summer, we are offering two 2-week sessions and a special 1-week session.
Week 1a: Tuesday, May 31 – Friday, June 3, 2022
Week 1b: Monday, June 6 – Thursday, June 9, 2022
Note: This is a shortened session because of the two holidays (May 30 and June 10). As such, the cost for session 1 will be reduced. See below under “cost” for more information.
Week 2a: Monday, June 20 – Friday, June 24, 2022
Week 2b: Monday, June 27 – Friday, July 1, 2022
Session 3* – special session – only 1 week
Week 3: Monday, July 25 – Friday, July 29, 2022
We are excited to be piloting a new camp for older keiki entering grades 6 through 8 (middle school). We will be conducting new activities more suited to middle school kids as well as more deeply exploring the Arboretum together. This session will be for one week only.
Anticipated questions & answers
“Can I sign up for only one week?”
Yes! You can sign up for only week A or only week B, but we hope it’s not tooting our horn too much to say that families that sign up for a single week often wish they had more time at the Arboretum.
“Can I sign up for more than one session?”
Not initially. We want to maximize the number of families we are able to serve. However, if we still have unclaimed slots after the initial registration period, we will offer those slots to interested families. If you are interested in enrolling your campers in multiple sessions, send us an email at email@example.com.
Who can participate?
All campers should be physically able to participate in outdoor activities for up to an hour at a time and revel in participating in activities regardless of the elements (Sun? Rain? Mosquitoes? Mud? No problem!). Camp participants are expected to be able to take direction and follow guidance from the Lyon Education Staff and constructively and safely work together in large or small groups, with up to 14 other children of varying ages and backgrounds.
For this season, the maximum number of campers each week is 15.
Sessions 1 and 2: These camps are open to children entering grades K-6. All campers must be 5 or older on the first day of camp.
Session 3: This camp is open to children entering grades 6 through 8. Campers should be excited to spend time in nature and learn more about the natural world around them!
Session 1: The camp cost is $240 for a single week or $480 for both weeks. No partial payments or discounts.
Session 2: The camp cost is $300 for Week A or $600 for weeks A and B. No partial payments or discounts.
Session 3: The camp cost is $300. No partial payments or discounts.
If Lyon Arboretum needs to cancel the camp (e.g., for changes in COVID19-related regulations) all families will be refunded in full.
If a family that has already paid needs to cancel their registration & withdraw their campers, the refund policy will be as follows
- More than 2 weeks prior to the first day of the camp session in question: A full refund will be issued
- Less than 2 weeks prior to the first day: A refund of 50% of the cost of camp will be issued.
- First day of camp or later: no refund will be issued. We apologize for the inconvenience.
If you need to withdraw your camper(s), please notify the Business Office immediately at 808-988-0456 and email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please leave a message with the Business Office if they are unable to answer the phone.
How to Register & Registration Dates
There is one registration period for all sessions.
Registration opens: Tuesday, April 19, 2022— On this date, we will begin accepting the Registration Forms.
- When the registration period opens, complete and email the Children’s Registration Form (v7) (PDF, click to open) to email@example.com. (It is helpful if the file name is something like “[camper’s name] form.”)
- Do not call the Business Office to arrange payment until asked to do so!
- We will process all registration forms in the order in which they arrive and email everyone to let them know the status of their camper’s application.
- Families whose application is accepted will be notified and sent payment instructions.
- Families whose application is not accepted will be notified and added to the waiting list in the order in which their applications have been received.
- If your camper’s application is accepted, you will have 1 week to contact the Business Office to arrange payment.
- We expect to begin accepting payments on Wednesday, April 20, 2022 (but it may open later depending on internal circumstances).
- Your registration is not complete until payment is confirmed.
- Payment can be made over the phone by calling the Business Office at (808) 988-0456. They can be reached Monday through Friday from 8 am until 4 pm. Leave a message with your phone number if there is no answer.
- If payment is not arranged by the end of this period, your spot will be considered forfeited and we will offer it to the next person on the waiting list. We will send a reminder before this happens. We apologize for the inconvenience.
- We will be sending out an informational packet a few days prior to the start of camp, which will include drop-off/pickup information, a camp packing list, tax information, and other details. If you don’t receive it one week before camp, please contact us.
Registration period closes: Wednesday, May 18, 2022
Questions or comments? Contact us!
Call or email the Education Department at 808-988-0461 or firstname.lastname@example.org.