For your safety and the enjoyment of your visit, please observe the following policies and safety guidelines.
What to wear or bring:
- Wear appropriate close-toed footwear with good traction.
- Check weather conditions prior to your visit and be prepared for potential sun or rain by bringing a hat, sunscreen, and rain poncho or jacket.
- Bring a water bottle and stay hydrated. We have two public water fountains, one near the main trailhead and another near the entrance to the main greenhouse. We also sell bottled water in our Gift Shop.
- Be prepared for mosquitoes and other insects – insect repellent is recommended.
- Walk carefully – trails may be narrow, slippery, and uneven.
- Avoid entering streams or ponds, especially if you have open cuts or wounds. Leptospirosis and other harmful bacteria may be present in the water or soil.
- Do not drink stream water, or eat plants or plant parts.
- Beware of falling branches, especially in windy weather.
- Know your physical limitations and be aware of your surroundings.
- Stay on the designated pathways and trails, and proceed onto unmaintained or rigorous trails only if you are an advanced hiker.
- Pay attention to and follow all posted signs and warnings.
- ALL visitors to the Arboretum must sign in at the Visitors Center.
- All organized group tours, gatherings and private events must be booked with Lyon Arboretum prior to visiting. Unauthorized group events or tours are prohibited. Visit our tours page to learn more.
- Parking is reserved for Arboretum visitors only. All others (including those going to the Mānoa Falls trail) will be towed.
- Official Arboretum-led tours, events and field trips have priority of the grounds. Do not obstruct or interfere with official programming or related tools and equipment.
- Visitors are allowed during posted public hours only. Please adhere to all posted closure notices on our website or Arboretum grounds.
- Pets – with the exception of service animals – are not allowed. Service animals must have service permits and be on a leash and in control at all times.
- Smoking is prohibited on Arboretum grounds. Please refrain from smoking until well away from the property. Vaping and use of e-cigarettes is also prohibited. See the University information page for more information: Healthy UHM: Smoke-Free Campus.
- The taking of soil, rocks, water, animals, plants, or plant parts from the Arboretum grounds is prohibited. Collecting for research purposes must receive prior approval by Arboretum administration. Visit our research requests page here.
- Amateur photographers are welcome, however all commercial photography or videography must be arranged and approved ahead of time. (Visit our Private events page to learn more.)
- Do not obstruct, disturb or deface the trails, plants, signage, water features, equipment, structures or facilities.
- The introduction of outside plants, terrestrial or aquatic animals, insects, or birds is prohibited.
- Large picnics and sports or other activities on our lawn areas are prohibited. Visit our Private Events page and Tour page to learn more.
- Drone flying is prohibited on the property.