Lyon Arboretum is part of the University of Hawaiʻi and a public botanical garden. We are nestled in the back of Mānoa Valley, just five miles from the bustle of Waikiki. Lyon Arboretum has over seven miles of hiking trails and boasts more than 6,000 taxa of tropical and sub-tropical plants on our nearly 200 acres.
Update 8/19/21: New eventbrite link added and guidelines on homepage updated. Please continue to refer to this page and our eventbrite page for information about our admissions policies. If you have further questions, please contact our main office at 808-988-0456. Mahalo nui loa!
Lyon Arboretum will be closed to the public on:
- Friday, September 24, 2021 – Internal operations
- Thursday, November 11, 2021 – Holiday observance
- Thursday, November 25, 2021 – Holiday observance
- Friday, December 24, 2021 – Holiday observance
- Friday, December 31, 2021 – Holiday observance
Information on Admission to Lyon Arboretum
Lyon Arboretum is open to visitors! Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, we have modified our admissions policies. Access to the grounds and facilities has been limited, as have our hours.
Reservations are required. Your Eventbrite reservation functions as a virtual “ticket.”
Admission is still free, but donations are greatly appreciated. The suggested donation amount is $10 per person.
Due to the ongoing COVID19 pandemic, Lyon is adhering to University of Hawaii, State, and City and County guidelines which include:
- Masks are required in public areas (e.g the parking lot, Visitor Center/Gift Shop and restrooms).
- Gatherings of more than 10 (ten) people are NOT allowed.
- Social distancing (6 feet or more between members of different households) must be practiced.
- As of September 13, 2021, Proof of vaccination or negative Covid-19 test (FDA EUA approved test) within 48 hours of visit is required. Proof of vaccination can include a hard copy or photo of vaccination card, or the Safe Travels Hawaii application showing proof of vaccination. Children under 12 are exempt from this requirement.
Visits are self-guided only. Guided tours are not offered at this time. Families can purchase the Arboretum Keiki Kits that will provide an in-depth experience while visiting the Arboretum. Good for both children and young-at-heart adults! Information about the kits can be found below.
Due to the frequently changing conditions of the ongoing pandemic, we usually only open reservations a week in advance, often on the Friday before.
Questions regarding reservations can be directed to our Main Office at (808) 988-0456. Mahalo!
Explore the Arboretum with our keiki kits and Garden Guide!
If you are bringing keiki to the Arboretum, or are just young at heart, consider purchasing a Lyon Arboretum Exploration Kit. Each kit includes a magnifying glass, crayons, and an activity booklet by our own Education Department to guide you and your family through a more in-depth exploration of the Arboretum. Enhance your exploration of the Arboretum on your next visit!
Kits are $7 each and can be purchased at our Visitors Center. No preorder is required!
New! We are also offering our Garden Guide for adults. Deepen your appreciation for the Arboretum and its history with this new offering. The Garden Guide is $5 and available at our Visitors Center. Check it out!
All proceeds will go to support the Education Department in bringing environmental education and outreach to Hawaiʻi’s keiki.
Questions can be emailed to email@example.com
Update: as of 6/15/21 we are offering both Keiki Kits and our Garden Guides in the Visitors Center.
Printable postcard & other downloadables
Check out our new printables & downloadables page for our ʻohai postcard!
Teacher and Student Resources available online
Aloha teachers! We are pleased to share our new Teacher and Student Resources page. We have collected a variety of resources from around the web–as well as some from our own office–to share with you.
3rd Grade Digital Resources Bundle now available
February 8, 2021
The Lyon Arboretum Education Department is excited to announce our Amazing Adaptations Digital Resources Bundle is now available. This bundle features materials to help students and teachers explore adaptations that let plants survive in different habitats in our islands.
Our resources are place-based and all proceeds support Lyon Arboretum’s education and outreach programs.
For more information, check out the Amazing Adaptations Digital Resources page. Mahalo nui loa for your support!
Middle- and High School Native Plants Bundle now available (web exclusive)
January 14, 2021
The Lyon Arboretum Education Department is excited to announce that our brand-new Endemic Endeavors (Native Plants) Digital Resources Bundle is now available. This all-new offering is designed for middle- and high school students to explore the native plants of Hawaiʻi and grapple with a real-world conservation issue with our historical debate activity.
This digital bundle is a place-based way to delve into the unique flora of our islands and the challenges our native species face. Our resources are place-based, and all proceeds go to support Lyon Arboretum’s education and outreach programs.
For more information, check out the Endemic Endeavors (Native Plants) Digital Resources Bundle page. Mahalo nui loa for your support!
2nd Grade Digital Resources Bundle now available
January 8, 2021
The Lyon Arboretum Education Department is pleased to announce that our new Plants and Friends Digital Resources Bundle is available. “Plants and Friends” is our Grade 2 field trip which explores plant-animal interactions in pollination and seed dispersal.
The digital bundle is a way to bring our seed dispersal lab activity into your classroom, whether it’s in person or online. Our resources are place-based and all proceeds support Lyon Arboretum’s education and outreach programs.
For more information, check out the Plants and Friends Digital Resources page. Mahalo nui loa for your support!
1st Grade Digital Resources Bundle now available
October 14, 2020
The Lyon Arboretum Education Department is pleased to announce that our new Sort It Out Digital Resources Bundle is available. “Sort It Out” is our Grade 1 field trip, which explores the concept of trait variation in plants. The digital bundle is a way to bring our ti leaf traits activity into your classroom, whether it’s in person or online. Students will practice recognizing similarities and differences using a familiar, local plant: ti!
For more information, check out the Sort It Out Digital Resources Bundle page. Mahalo nui loa to all our teachers for their work with our keiki!
- Fall 2021 Virtual Community ClassesLyon Arboretum’s community classes are back in a new, digital format! We are excited to bring you this latest selection of class offerings, hosted online through Zoom. Click a class name below to display more information! The Friends of Lyon Arboretum present Hawaiʻi Natural Dyeing with Sasha Duerr – Saturday, September 25, 2021, 10 am …
- FULL – Fall Nature Camp 2021COVID19 NOTICE Aloha! This page contains information about Lyon’s Nature Camp for Fall Break 2021. At the time of writing, Lyon Arboretum is planning to host a Fall Break Camp for 2021, but of course the pandemic introduces a significant amount of uncertainty in any scheduling attempt. Hosting of Lyon’s Nature Camp in the fall …
- Nature Camp Email ListAloha Parents and Guardians! If you would like to be notified of news related to our kids’ camp program, including future camp dates and registration periods, you can sign up for our email list (link goes to a Google form). Camp information sign-up form If you have any additional questions about our camp programs, please …