Lyon Arboretum is part of the University of Hawaiʻi and a public botanical garden. We are nestled in the back of Mānoa Valley, just five miles from the bustle of Waikiki. Lyon Arboretum has over seven miles of hiking trails and boasts more than 6,000 taxa of tropical and sub-tropical plants on our nearly 200 acres.
12/17/21 – The phones lines to all departments are now operational again. Thank you for your patience!
Lyon Arboretum will be closed to the public on:
- Monday, February 21, 2022 – Holiday observance
- Friday, March 25, 2022 – Holiday observance
Information on Admission to Lyon Arboretum
Lyon Arboretum is open to visitors! Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, we have modified our admissions policies. Access to the grounds and facilities has been limited, as have our hours.
Reservations are required. Your Eventbrite reservation functions as a virtual “ticket.”
Admission is still free, but donations are greatly appreciated. The suggested donation amount is $10 per person.
Due to the ongoing COVID19 pandemic, Lyon is adhering to University of Hawaii, State, and City and County guidelines which include:
- Masks are required in public areas (e.g the parking lot, Visitor Center/Gift Shop and restrooms).
- Gatherings of more than 10 (ten) people are NOT allowed.
- Social distancing (6 feet or more between members of different households) must be practiced.
- As of September 13, 2021, Proof of vaccination or negative Covid-19 test (FDA EUA approved test) within 48 hours of visit is required. As part of the University of Hawaii system, we prefer to use LumiSightUH. Proof of vaccination can include a hard copy or photo of vaccination card WITH photo ID, or the Safe Travels Hawaii application showing proof of vaccination. Children under 12 are exempt from this requirement. You can read more about UH’s guidelines here
Visits are self-guided only. Guided tours are not offered at this time. Families can purchase the Arboretum Keiki Kits that will provide an in-depth experience while visiting the Arboretum. Good for both children and young-at-heart adults! Information about the kits can be found below.
Due to the frequently changing conditions of the ongoing pandemic, we usually only open reservations a week in advance, often on the Friday before.
Questions regarding reservations can be directed to our Main Office at (808) 988-0456. Mahalo!
- Spring 2022 Community Class ScheduleWelcome Aloha! We are excited to bring you a new batch of community classes for Spring 2022! Class descriptions Click on a class title below (in bold text) to show or hide more information about that class. How to Start Beekeeping with Max Towey – Saturday, February 5, 2022, 9 am – 12 pm (Click …
- Town in Country: Reimagining Honolulu as a city among the treesLyon Arboretum and the Hawaiʻi Tree Jamboree (held on our grounds in 2021) were mentioned in this Hana Hou! Magazine article. You can even see our very own Tylor Schwarze in one of the photos! View the article on Hana Hou’s website.
- UH experts help to save rare endangered plant from brink of extinctionKa palupalu o Kanaloa (Kanaloa kahoolawensis) is one of 10 most critically endangered plants and animals in the world to be impacted by climate change, according to a December 2021 report by the Endangered Species Coalition. The species was declared extinct in the wild in 2015. Over the past several years, experts at the University of Hawaiʻi at …
Shop page now available
Information about our keiki kits, teacher resources, and even free downloadables is now available on our shop page. Check it out!
Keiki T-shirts and Greeting Cards from Eileen Towata & the Lyon Education Department
The Education Department is happy to be able to offer T-shirts and cards for sale. They were designed by local print artist Eileen Towata and donated to our department to help us raise funds to support our education and outreach programs. Only a limited number are available, so be sure to check them out before they’re gone! Learn more about ordering a keiki T-shirt or greeting card here.
Explore the Arboretum with our keiki kits and Garden Guide!
If you are bringing keiki to the Arboretum, or are just young at heart, consider purchasing a Lyon Arboretum Exploration Kit. Each kit includes a magnifying glass, crayons, and an activity booklet by our own Education Department to guide you and your family through a more in-depth exploration of the Arboretum. Enhance your exploration of the Arboretum on your next visit!
Kits are $7 each and can be purchased at our Visitors Center on the day of your visit.
You can also pre-order a keiki kit through our online form. We recommend this option if you plan to come with your family during high-traffic times, such as school breaks. (Click here to learn more about the “order ahead” option.)
We are also offering our Garden Guide for adults. Deepen your appreciation for the Arboretum and its history with this new offering. The Garden Guide is $5 and is available at our Visitors Center. Check it out!
All proceeds will go to support the Education Department in bringing environmental education and outreach to Hawaiʻi’s keiki.