skip to Main Content

PhD Application Procedures

To apply to the PhD in Social Welfare program, follow these steps:

  1. Complete and submit the UH Manoa Graduate Division application.
  2. Pay the UH Manoa Graduate Division application fee and submit your transcripts for any colleges/universities you attended outside of the UH system. Transcripts may be unofficial, but please keep in mind that official transcripts will be required if you are accepted into the program.
  3. Complete and submit an application to the PhD in Social Welfare program via SocialWorkCAS. Beginning Fall 2022, applications for admissions at the Department of Social Work must be submitted via SocialWorkCAS.  SocialWorkCAS charges an application fee of $45, which is separate from the UH Mānoa Graduate Division application fee.  The SocialWorkCAS application fee will not be charged until you submit your application. Your application should include:
    • “Personal Information” Section
    • Three (3) Reference Requests (letters of recommendation) via “Supporting Information”
      • Recommendation letters from faculty or supervisors with a PhD, which evaluate the applicant’s ability to do scholarly work on a doctoral level, are strongly recommended.
    • In “Program Materials”:
        • Respond to all required questions via the “Questions” tab
        • Submit all required documents via the “Documents” tab
          • Statement of Purpose
          • One example of your academic or scholarly writing: Examples of academic or scholarly writing can include: a journal article, book chapter, class paper, a degree thesis, capstone project report, research proposal, or professional report.  Do not send PowerPoint presentations or case notes.

Your writing sample should be single-authored or first-authored by you. If it is a co-authored writing, please attach a note to indicate the part(s) of the sample that reflect your original contribution and writing.

Your writing sample should best represent your interest and capacity:

            • Demonstrate conceptual and analytic thinking skills
            • Use appropriate and consistent citation and referencing format
            • Demonstrate writing ability
        • TOEFL scores: Students who speak English as a second language are required to submit evidence of fluency in English as measured by the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) examination.  Official scores should be sent directly to the Graduate Division office.  The Educational Testing Services (ETS) code for UHM is 4867.  Test scores cannot be more than two (2) years old.

Beginning with Fall 2022 Admissions, all applications for admissions at the Department of Social Work will be using SocialWorkCAS.  SocialWorkCASAn application fee of $45 will be charged by SocialWorkCAS in addition to application fees charged by the University of Hawaii at Manoa Undergraduate or Graduate Admissions offices.

The SocialWorkCAS application fee will not be charged until you submit your application.  Start your application now and pay when you are ready to apply!

Click on SocialWorkCAS to create your account.

SocialWorkCAS Applicant Help Center

SocialWorkCAS Quick Start Guide and FAQs.

Deadline for receipt of all materials is January 15.

Back To Top