Presidential Award for Outstanding Service
To recognize and award four (4) employees for outstanding work performance, service, leadership and contributions made to their office, department and UHM in serving the University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa and promoting excellence in higher education.
- Civil Service employee
- Buildings and Grounds Maintenance employee (Civil Service or APT within field)
- Administrative, Professional and Technical (APT) employee
- Faculty Specialist employee
Each recipient shall receive a $1,000 monetary award and a recognition certificate, and honored at a special awards reception and ceremony at the end of the academic year.
All full-time Civil Service, Buildings and Grounds Maintenance, APT employees and Faculty Specialists who have been employed continuously for no less than twelve (12) consecutive months for a or in support of a UHM college, school, department, or program may be nominated.
An employee previously nominated may be nominated again provided that the employee has not been a recipient of the Presidential Award (or former Chancellor’s Award) within the last five (5) years.
Criteria for Selection
Employees shall be nominated based on their outstanding work performance, service, leadership and contributions to their office, department and UHM to promote excellence in higher education.
Examples of outstanding accomplishments by an employee include the following:
- Exceptional contributions to the achievement of the department’s program objectives
- Significant improvements in the delivery of service and/or cost savings to better serve the campus and/or department and its program objectives
- Significant contributions to social, scientific, technological or operational progress/development
- Contribution to creative solutions to difficult problems that benefit the campus and/or department
- Active participation in and contributions to professional, campus and/or community affairs, and promotion of a positive image for UHM
- Sustained merit and competence in the department, and contribution to the progress and success of the program
For supervisors and managers of programs, successful planning, management and execution of program functions including development and motivation of team of staff members to improve unit performance and services.
Nomination and Selection Procedure
- Nominations for the 2024 awards are currently being accepted — please refer to the Presidential memo for additional details.
- The deadline for submitting nominations is Friday, February 16, 2024. Nominations may be submitted via https://go.hawaii.edu/kRT. Justification and pertinent supporting information are limited to two (2) pages which will need to be uploaded.
- Each nominee is allowed a maximum of three (3) nominations, which may be from employees, students, and/or community members. Nominations are received in sequential order, and only the first three (3) nominations per candidate will be submitted to the awards review committee.
- Submitted letters of support or recommendation will be counted toward the two (2) pages maximum per nomination and the three (3) nominations maximum per candidate.
- A review committee is convened to evaluate the nominees based on the nominations and supporting justification submitted.
- The review committee will advise President of all nominations and recommend the top two (2) nominations in each category.
- Nominees will be notified of their nomination and the identity of the nominator(s) after the committee reviews all nominations, unless otherwise specified.
Presidential Citation for Meritorious Teaching
The Office of Faculty Development & Academic Support coordinates nominations for this award.
Nominate an Employee
Nominations for Chancellor’s Citation for Meritorious Teaching are coordinated by the Office of Faculty Development & Academic Support. Please visit ofdas.hawaii.edu for nomination information including criteria, eligibility requirements and submission procedures.