General FAQs

How do I apply for financial aid?

You will need to complete a FAFSA online. FAFSA applications are available every October 1st.

What is FAFSA?

FAFSA is an acronym that stands for Free Application for Federal Student Aid. Most forms of student aid require the FAFSA. The FAFSA helps determine your eligibility for federal aid, as well as some state and institutional aid.

Do I need to complete a FAFSA application every semester?

No. When you apply for the FAFSA, the application is valid for one academic year (fall, spring, and summer semesters).

How do I make corrections to my FAFSA?

If you need to make a correction to your FAFSA, you may visit and follow the instructions below.

  1. Select the “Log In” button and enter your FSA ID.
  2. On the “My FAFSA” page, select “Make Corrections.”
  3. Create a save key.
  4. Change your information.
  5. Submit your new information.

We recommend emailing our office at if you make corrections to your FAFSA.

How do I change my housing status on my FAFSA?

You may change your housing status by making a correction to your FAFSA application at Upon submitting your FAFSA correction, please email our office at to confirm that you have changed your housing status. Please be aware, if you have already been offered a financial aid package prior to changing your housing status, your aid may be revised as a result of the update.

What is federal student aid?

Federal student aid comes from the federal government – specifically, the U.S. Department of Education. It’s money that helps a student pay for education expenses at a postsecondary school (e.g., college, vocational school, graduate school).

Federal student aid covers such expenses as tuition and fees, room and board, books and supplies, and transportation. Aid also can help pay for a computer and for dependent care.

Who gets federal student aid?

The most basic eligibility requirements are that you must:

  • be a U.S. citizen or an eligible noncitizen
  • have a valid Social Security number
  • be making satisfactory academic progress
  • be enrolled or accepted for enrollment as a regular student working toward a degree or certificate in an eligible program
  • show you are qualified to obtain a postsecondary education by:
    • having a high school diploma or General Educational Development (GED) certificate
    • passing an approved ability-to-benefit test (if you don’t have a diploma or GED certificate, a school can administer a test to determine whether you can benefit from the education offered at that school)
    • meeting other federally approved standards your state establishes
    • completing a high school education in a homeschool setting approved under state law

Why get a federal student loan?

Federal student loans offer:

  • low fixed interest rates
  • income-based repayment plans
  • loan forgiveness
  • deferment options, including deferment of loan payments when a student returns to school

Generally, repayment of a federal loan does not begin until after the student leaves school. A student receiving a federal loan does not need a credit history or a cosigner. Private loans from banks often do not offer such benefits.

What makes a student independent?

Please refer to the Dependency section of the website.

Can I receive aid from multiple colleges at the same time?

No. Students may only receive aid from one institution during a given enrollment period.

What if I plan on transferring to another school?

Send our office an email or use the Change Request Form to cancel the semester’s aid that you will not be enrolled at University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa. Add the school code you are transferring to on your FAFSA and work with that school’s financial aid office.

How do I check on the status of my financial aid?

For steps on using MyUH Services to check on your financial aid information and status, follow this link: Check Your Status

What do I do after I accept my loans?

You and/or your parent must complete the necessary loan requirements Please see Completing the Loan Process for more information and instructions.

How do I get the money?

Your financial aid will be disbursed electronically and applied to any charges you have on your UH student account such as tuition, fees, IDAP book rental, and housing. Any amount in excess of your charges will be refunded back to you by the Cashier’s Office to the address on file via paper check or to your bank account if you signed up for eRefunds. If you would like your money a little quicker, or if you want to avoid physical address delays (for mainland addresses especially), we recommend that you sign up for eRefunds through MyUH Services.

Why hasn’t my aid been applied to my account?

  • You are not enrolled in 12 credits at the University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa that are applicable to your degree as an Undergraduate, Law, or Med student. Please refer to the Course Program of Study and the Registration pages for more information. Since aid is based on full-time status, you will either need to increase your credits to full-time or complete the online Enrollment Form to have your funds disbursed.

  • You are not enrolled in 8 credits as a graduate student at the University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa. Since we award based on full-time status, you will either need to increase your credits to full-time or complete the online Enrollment Form to have your funds disbursed.

  • You did not complete the loan process as mentioned in the what do I do after I accept my loans question.

Where is my refund?

  • Refunds are generally processed by the Cashier’s Office within a week after your student account is in a credit balance status (you see a negative number). Check your student account via your MyUH Services.
  • If you recently received outside scholarships or third party payments, your aid may need to be revised due to an overaward and your refund may be held. See Overaward section in Receiving Additional Assistance.
  • You have recently dropped credits below full-time. Your refund may be held until you complete an Enrollment Form or bring your enrollment up to full-time.
  • If your refund originates from a Parent PLUS Loan, the refund may be sent to your parent unless your parent has designated that the refund be sent to the student directly.

What happens if I drop a course?

Please refer to the Withdrawals section of the website.

What if the tax information on my FAFSA does not reflect my family’s current financial situation?

If you or anyone in your household (spouse, parent, or both parents) has been affected financially by extenuating circumstances (loss of a job, death of a spouse/parent, divorce/legal separation, etc.), please visit the Forms page and complete the necessary Professional Judgment form.

If your cost of attendance does not truly reflect your expenses, there are some options available to increase your cost of attendance and aid. You may include additional educational costs such as a computer expense, airfare, childcare or medical expenses, please reach out to to request the Cost of Attendance Increase form.

Why do I have to complete Exit Counseling?

Students are required to complete the Loan Exit Counseling when they leave school or drop below half-time enrollment. The purpose of exit counseling is to ensure you understand your student loan obligations and are prepared for repayment.

Where is my 1098-T form for my taxes?

You may view or print your 1098-T form by logging into MyUH Services.