Summer 2023 Financial Aid Information & Application
Please read the following information completely before proceeding.
If you are not registered at the time of review, your application will not be processed. If/when you do register, your application will be re-evaluated on or after May 12, 2023. Financial Aid Services will begin reviewing summer applications who do not request for loans on April 17, 2023. Financial Aid Services will begin reviewing summer applications who requested for loans on May 1, 2023.
|Application Available||Summer Application||Need-Based Scholarship|
|March 7, 2023 – April 14, 2023||Priority Summer Application||Eligible|
|April 15, 2023 – May 12, 2023||Late Summer Application||Not Eligible|
Late summer application will be reviewed after Summer term begins; you are responsible for any payments that are due prior to review and/or are not covered by Financial Aid. If we are not able to review your late summer application before your semester ends you will not be eligible for financial aid and you will be responsible for your summer costs.
- You must be registered for Summer 2023 at UH Mānoa for Financial Aid Services to review your online application. If you are not registered, your application will not be reviewed.
- You are responsible for any payments that are due prior to review and/or are not covered by Financial Aid.
- Any changes to your summer enrollment after you have been notified of your summer aid may result in cancellation, reduction, or delay in you financial aid (likely on or after July 10, 2023.) You may be responsible for any resulting balances due to revisions to your aid, therefore, it is recommended that you finalize your summer enrollment before the start of the first summer term.
- Any increase adjustments will be made on or after July 10, 2023.
- For Summer 2023, if you have aid, our office will evaluate your enrollment status for financial aid purposes on July 10, 2023.
- Before this date, your aid may fluctuate depending on the number of credit hours you are registered. Dropping credits after your aid has been disbursed may result in a balance owing to the University of Hawaii at Mānoa.
- On this date, your aid will be based on your enrollment as of that date and will no longer fluctuate when enrollment changes occur.
- After this date, if your enrollment decreases (i.e., withdrawal from a course), you may jeopardize your continuing financial aid eligibility due to not meeting satisfactory academic progress. If your enrollment increases after this date, no adjustments will be made to your aid. This does not pertain to students who completely or unofficially withdraw from school or if you are not charged for your courses that you drop.
- All credits enrolled must be towards your degree.
- To receive loans, you must be at least half-time enrolled at UH Mānoa, 6 credits for undergraduate students and 4 credits for graduate students.
- If you enrolled full-time (12 credits or more) and received the full-time Pell Grant amount for fall and spring, you must enroll at least half-time (6 or more credits) in summer classes to receive a summer Pell Grant.
- For undergraduate students, you may only repeat a passed course one time.
- The deadline to submit a late summer application is May 12, 2023.
- Your aid is based on 6 credits Undergraduate or 5 credits Graduate tuition costs. If your actual tuition is higher, you may submit an email request to email@example.com to have your loan increased. Please include the following:
- Subject Line: ATTN: Summer Request
- State the name of loan
- Specify the dollar amount requested (or write “maximum” for the maximum allowed amount)
- For example: Please increase my Summer Unsubsidized loan to the maximum for my X credits.
Your aid may or may not be increased depending on your available eligibility.
- Summer Study Abroad/Mānoa International Exchange Students:
Your financial aid disbursement may be different if your abroad program class start date differs from the UH Mānoa Summer Session dates. Your UH Mānoa credit enrollment must match the credit enrollment as stated in your abroad program budget sheet.
- Be degree-seeking at University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa Day school and be enrolled in UHM courses only.
- Community College courses WILL NOT be funded.
- Maintain satisfactory academic progress based on UHM Financial Aid Services academic policies.
- You will need to be enrolled and attending your course(s) at UH Mānoa before financial aid can be disbursed. To receive loans, you must be attending at least half time during summer (6 credits for undergraduate students; 4 credits for graduate students). Undergraduate students must maintain halftime enrollment (6 credits) to receive the need-based scholarship.
- Graduate students enrolled in undergraduate course(s) are not able to receive financial aid for the undergraduate course(s) (less than 300 level, except for language courses).
- Completed the 2022-2023 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and met all eligibility requirements.
- Complete the UH Mānoa Online Summer Financial Aid application.
Note: If you are registering for summer extension courses, please check to see which session these courses fall under in order to assure your half-time enrollment.
LIMITED TYPES OF AID THAT MAY BE AWARDED:
- FEDERAL PELL GRANTS are available to qualified undergraduate students.
- NEED-BASED SCHOLARSHIPS are available to first-time undergraduate students (no second bachelor’s degree) who apply for summer aid by the Priority application deadline of April 14, 2023. Funding is limited. Enrollment status is at least half time.
- The FEDERAL DIRECT LOAN PROGRAM (FEDERAL SUBSIDIZED/UNSUBSIDIZED STAFFORD, PARENT LOAN (PLUS), and GRADUATE PLUS LOAN) is available for borrowers enrolled at least half time. If you drop below half time, your financial aid may be cancelled and you will be required to repay all your aid. Eligibility for the Summer term(s) will be determined by subtracting any amount received during the standard academic year (Fall/Spring 2022-2023) from the annual loan limits. The Stafford loan will arrive in one disbursement.
- The following are estimated dates that your financial aid will be disbursed through the Cashier’s Office. Please remember that it can take up to 14 business days for you to receive your refund check. For loans, your financial aid will be disbursed upon confirmation of your attendance in 6 credit hours for undergraduate students; 4 credit hours for graduate students. Please be prepared to pay for expenses prior to disbursement. For option of eRefund (direct deposit), please check MyUH Services.
|Summer Session I
|Summer Session II
|Summer Session I and II
|May 15, 2023 (estimated)||July 10, 2023 (estimated)||July 10, 2023 (estimated)|
NOTE: Summer aid will be based on average costs for the period of enrollment. Any changes to your registration may result in cancellations or revisions to your aid and/or may delay your financial aid. IF YOU DO NOT COMPLETE THE COURSES UPON WHICH YOUR SUMMER AID IS BASED, YOU MAY BE REQUIRED TO REPAY ANY AID YOU RECEIVE.