Above: Over 80 undergraduate students from all disciplines participated at the 2022 SURE Symposium. The symposium was a success following a hybrid format, which made the presentations accessible via Zoom or in person.
Welcome to the SURE Symposium
The 2023 SURE Symposium will be on August 4, 2023 and will follow a limited hybrid format. Oral sessions will be held both in person and via Zoom at the Kuykendall Hall and the poster session will be held in person at the Campus Center Ballroom.
The symposium is an end-of-summer event where undergraduate students conducting faculty-mentored research and creative work in all disciplines get to showcase their projects. The SURE Symposium provides students an excellent opportunity to solicit feedback from their peers, experts, and community members without formal presentation judging. The event is free to attend and provides a professional, yet relaxed atmosphere!
Click here for the most up-to-date program!
All eligible undergraduate students in all disciplines conducting faculty-mentored research or creative work are invited to present at the Symposium. Eligible students include:
- All UHM undergraduate students
- Non-UHM undergraduate students mentored by a UHM faculty member*
Students can be:
- Funded or not funded by UROP
- Presenting in-progress or completed projects
- Participating or not participating in the all-summer SURE program (though it is encouraged)
*There are no eligibility requirements to be a UHM faculty mentor for SURE. Mentor eligibility is required only when students apply for UROP Project Funding or faculty apply for a Faculty Mentoring Grant.
If you have received special permission to submit your abstract by email, before submitting, make sure:
- Your mentor has agreed to be listed as your project mentor and co-author
- Your mentor has reviewed and approved your project title and abstract
- Your abstract is no more than 1500 characters (~250 words)
Poster Presentation Resources
UROP offers free poster printing to poster presenters, but make sure to submit your work order on time! Click here for more information.