***Updated SURE 2020 information now available. See below.***
The Summer Undergraduate Research Experience (SURE) is a free 9-week program that provides supplementary infrastructure to undergraduate students conducting research and creative work at the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa (UHM) during the summer. SURE provides:
- Professional development modules once every two weeks (dates TBD)
- Cohort of undergraduate peers
- End-of-summer SURE Symposium on July 31, 2020
- Request for proposals: Faculty Mentoring Grants of up to $5000 per student, for up to 3 students, in support of student’s project
Note that SURE does not provide undergraduate students with research and creative work positions.
- All UHM undergraduate students doing faculty-mentored research or creative work with a UHM faculty mentor* or non-UHM faculty mentor
- Any non-UHM undergraduate student doing research or creative work with a UHM faculty mentor*
Participation is not mandatory. Students may choose which modules to attend. Students are encouraged to attend the end-of-summer symposium, at a minimum.
Program Schedule (tentative)
- Week 1 (date TBD): Community engagement field trip to Lyon Arboretum (location tentative)
- Week 3 (date TBD): How to identify and apply to graduate schools
- Week 5 (TBD): Writing resumes and cover letters
- Week 7 (TBD): Prepare for oral and poster presentations
- Week 9 (July 31, 2020): SURE Symposium at Imin International Conference Center, East-West Center