The Summer Undergraduate Research Experience (SURE) is a free 9-week program that provides supplementary infrastructure to undergraduate students conducting research and creative work at the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa (UHM) during the summer. SURE provides the following:
Above: 2019 SURE participants remove invasive plants in the native Hawaiian plant section at Lyon Arboretum.
- All UHM undergraduate students doing faculty-mentored research or creative work with a UHM faculty mentor* or non-UHM faculty mentor
- Any non-UHM undergraduate student doing research or creative work with a UHM faculty mentor*
Participation is not mandatory. Students may choose which modules to attend. Students are encouraged to attend the end-of-summer symposium, at a minimum.
Program Schedule (all modules to be held virtually)
- Week 1 (Thursday, June 4; 9:00 am – 10:00 am): Best Practices to Jump-Start Your Summer of Research or Creative Work
- Week 3 (Thursday, June 18; 9:00 am – 11:00 am): Panel on Identifying and Exploring Graduate Schools
- Week 5 (Thursday, July 2; 9:00 am -10:30 am): Resume and Cover Letter Writing
- Week 7 (Thursday, July 16; 9:00 am – 10:30 am): How to Prepare for Oral and Poster Presentations
- Week 9 (July 31, 2020; Time TBD): SURE Symposium