GROUP: Each member must submit their own Project Completion Report
The Project Completion Report is a fillable online form. This is an opportunity for you to reflect on your UROP Project experience. In the report you are required to provide the following four items:
- Technical Abstract (250-300 words): Provide a professional abstract/summary of your UROP project. This should include the objectives of your project from your funded application, the methods you took to meet your objectives, and a succinct summary of the most important results of your project.
GROUP: All individuals should submit the same technical abstract written collectively by the group.
- Project Reflection (250-300 words): Summarize what you learned while doing your UROP project and, where applicable, identify potential next steps. This section is not intended to be a full report on your research or creative work results (that goes in the Technical Abstract, see the prior point), but rather a reflection on your learning experience from participating in faculty-mentored research or creative work
- Project Survey: This survey is meant to evaluate your experience interacting with UROP staff and the overall program throughout the duration of your UROP-funded project. Please note that although this section is not anonymous, please provide honest feedback as it would help the UROP office to serve you and other undergraduate students better. Additionally, any information you provide in the Project Survey will have no impact on your status with the UROP office, including any funding status, outside of it satisfying a required component of the Project Completion Requirements.
- Project Photo/Video (~50-100 words): Submit a photo or a video of your project or yourself working on your project with an informative and succinct description. Please name your file “lastname_firstname_PHO_YYYYMMDD”
GROUP: All members must attend and present at the event. Groups should submit a single registration form
Each year, UROP offers on-campus conference venues for students to share their research or creative work project with UHM students, faculty, and community members. The venues are:
The venues are open to all UHM undergraduate students presenting faculty-mentored research or creative work. UROP-funded students are more than welcome to present as many times as they would like to gain academic presentation experience.
For the purpose of completing the presentation requirement, all Project funding recipients must:
- Present at a Spring Undergraduate Showcase following their completion semester unless:
- The project completion semester is a fall semester and you or a group member is graduating in a fall semester. You/your group must present at a Fall Undergraduate Showcase
- The project completion semester is summer and you or a group member is graduating in summer. You/your group must present at the SURE Symposium
- Register to present:
- Spring Undergraduate Showcase: register by ~February
- Fall Undergraduate Showcase: register by ~September
- SURE Symposium: register by ~June
- Do an oral presentation (poster presentation is optional in addition to the oral presentation if offered by the venue)
- Acknowledge UROP support for your project by including the UROP logo in your presentation and/or poster and including the following verbal/written comment:
- “This work was supported by funding from the Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program in the Office of the Vice Provost for Research and Scholarship at the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa.”
- Complete the Post-Presentation Survey after doing an oral presentation
GROUP: Each member completes the Post-Presentation Survey
For questions related to the Spring & Fall Undergraduate Showcase, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For questions related to the SURE Symposium, email email@example.com.
(to be completed by your mentor)
The Mentor Evaluation Survey is a fillable online form. Please ask your mentor at least 2 weeks prior to the deadline to complete the Mentor Evaluation Survey on your/your group’s behalf. Be sure to send your mentor the link and the Project ID # as your mentor will need it to complete the survey. Your mentor should complete one survey per project for both individual and group projects.
GROUP: Submit one Receipt Report per group
In the Receipt Report, you must account for how you managed your budget and how you spent your UROP funding based on your most recent budget approved by UROP. The Receipt Report is reviewed by the Financial Aid Office. Please be sure to carefully follow the guidelines below to prepare and submit your receipt report.
Sample receipt report for your reference
- Gather all receipts, electronic and paper copies
- Scan all paper receipts
- Redact personal information (e.g. account number, credit or debit card number, access code, credit card statement, unrelated charges, or password that would permit access to an individual’s financial account etc.)
- Highlight all costs and purchase dates
- Mark each item on the receipt with the corresponding Item # on the Budget
- Number each receipt. This Receipt # should match the Item # in the receipt or as close as possible
- Paste all receipts on MS Word or an equivalent word processor. The order of the receipts should follow the numeric order of Receipt #. Place up to 4 receipts on a page without compromising visibility. Ensure all receipts are legible. Clarify any illegible text
- Budget Table
GROUP: Please apply this “Budget Table” guidelines on the Group Budget Table and Individual Budget Tables
- Go to the beginning of the document in which you pasted all of your receipts and add your most recent budget table approved by UROP
- In the budget table, please add one column on the left and label it “Rec #.” On the right, add two columns and label them “Actual Cost” and “Differences w/ Explanation.” The header row of your budget table should look like the following:
|Rec #||Item #||Item Name||QTY||CPU||Cost||Justification ||Actual Cost||Differences w/ Explanation
- Check your receipts and indicate corresponding receipt numbers in the “Rec #” column
- Do not include any items purchased prior to the date UROP sent the “UROP Project Funding Disbursal Notification” email
- Do not include any new items not approved by UROP (unless it was a new item under $100 approved by your mentor)
- Check your receipts and in the “Actual Cost” column, indicate the actual expenses made. If you did not purchase a particular item, the actual cost would be $0
- In the “Differences w/ Explanation” column, indicate the difference between the “Actual Cost” and the “Cost” (Actual Cost – Cost). If the Actual Cost was more than the Original Cost, add the prefix “+” to the amount. If the Actual Cost was less than the Original Cost, add the prefix “-” to the amount
- Calculate and indicate the Cost and Actual Cost in the “Materials/Supplies Subtotal”, “Outsource Subtotal”, “Travel Subtotal”, “Non-Stipend Subtotal”, “Stipend Subtotal”, and “Total” rows
- Stipend table (if applicable)
- Following the Budget Table, include your original Stipend Table with “Date Range”, “Hours”, and “Tasks” columns below your Budget Table
- If hours or tasks changed, indicate the change by replacing the original hours and tasks
- Summary Table
- Go to the beginning of the document before the Budget Table and create a new table and title it Summary Table. A Summary Table sums up the budget. The columns should show the following and add two more rows below the columns to indicate the numbers and indicate travel dates, if any:
|Last Name_ First Name||Mat / Supp||Outsource||Travel||Non-Stipend Total||Mat / Supp Final||Outsource Final||Travel Final||Non-Stipend Final Total||Stipend Total||Total||Total Final||Difference
| || || ||
|If travel is included, please provide dates of travel:
GROUP: Each group member should have their own rows in the Summary Table
- Mat/Supp: the UROP-approved subtotal of materials and supplies costs
- Outsource: the UROP-approved subtotal of outsourcing costs
- Travel: the UROP-approved subtotal of travel costs
- Non-Stipend Total: the UROP-approved subtotal of Mat/Supp, Outsource, and Travel costs
- Mat/Supp Actual: how much you actually spent on materials and supplies
- Outsource Actual: how much you actually spent on outsourcing
- Travel Actual: how much you actually spent on travel
- Non-Stipend Actual Total: the sum of Mat/Supp Final, Outsource Final, and Travel Final
- Stipend Total: the UROP-approved stipend amount. This should not change from what was originally approved by UROP
- Total: the sum of Non-Stipend Total and Stipend Total (approved total)
- Total Final: the sum of Non-Stipend Final Total and the Stipend Total (actual total)
- Difference: Final Total – Total = Difference. If you spent more than your UROP budget, the value of Difference will be positive (+). If you spent less than your UROP budget, the value of Difference will be negative (-)
Save this document as a PDF file and name it: [LastName]_[FirstName]_RECEIPT_REPORT_[YYYYMMDD] and submit as an attachment via email.
Once submitted, UROP and the Financial Aid Office will review your Receipt Report. UROP will contact you if more information is needed and will confirm once your Receipt Report has been accepted by the Financial Aid Office. Please note that if you have leftover funding, you may have to return it to the university. Each Receipt Report is reviewed individually on a case by case basis.