Overview of Services
The Pre-Health/Pre-Law Advising Center (PAC) is a walk-in resource center for students interested in law, medicine, or the health sciences (dentistry, optometry, pharmacy, physician assistant, occupational therapy, physical therapy, veterinary medicine, etc.).
Our mission is to guide students in discovering their paths in life and in transforming their professional dreams into reality.
PAC operates within the following values:
- Health and law professions are open to everyone with the desire, aptitude, and motivation to pursue them.
- Career choice is one of the most important decisions one can make in life and often defines one’s niche in society; it is critical that students choose carefully and wisely.
- Students choose their own paths and make their own decisions.
- To make good decisions, students need accurate, up-to-date, and unbiased information.
- When making decisions, students benefit from sympathetic but honest guidance and from being able to discuss their options with nonjudgmental peers.
PAC students are able to . . .
- Describe the “Eight Steps to Professional School” and what they need to do for each.
- List engagement opportunities available at UHM.
- Create an accurate academic plan that includes the
- application timeline,
- prerequisite courses,
- career-related activities,
- general education requirements,
- major requirements, and
- minimum credit requirements.
- Create a curriculum vitae/résumé.
- Use appropriate resources to research and accomplish the Eight Steps.
- Engage in self-evaluation in light of career goals.