Monica Esquivel  , PhD RDN CSSD
Assistant Professor & Dietetics Program DirectorDepartment of Human Nutrition, Food and Animal Sciences, College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources – University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa
Work Phone: 808-956-8691work Personal Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgINTERNET
child health, food security, food access
- Esquivel MK. Nutrition for Pregnant and Lactating Women: The Latest Recommendations from the Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2020-2025 and Practice Implications. Am J Lifestyle Medicine. March 2021.
- Greenberg JA, Luick B, Alfred JM, Barber LR, Bersamin A, Coleman P, Esquivel M, Fleming T, Leon Guerrero RT, Hollyer J, Lorring Johnson E, Novotny R, Remengesau S, Yamanaka A. The affordability of a thrifty food plan-based market basket in the United States-affiliated Pacific Region. Hawaii Journal of Health and Social Welfare. 2020 79(7).
- Esquivel MK, Higa A, Hitchens M, Shelton C, Okihiro M. Keiki produce prescription (KPRx) program feasibility study to reduce food insecurity and obesity risk. Hawaii Journal of Health and Social Welfare. 2020; 79(5).
- Esquivel M, Sinclair KA, Townsend Ing C, Hawley N, Haggard-Duff LK, Kaholokula JK. Diabetes disparities and promising interventions to address diabetes in Native Hawaiian and Pacific Islander populations. Current Diabetes Reports. 2019:19(5).
- National Institute of General Medical Sciences- Centers of Biomedical Research Excellence (COBRE) P20, Integrative Center for Precision Nutrition and Human Health. Role: Research project leader/Junior investigator for community clinical trial- Keiki Produce Prescriptions
- Partners in Excellence for Leadership in MCH Nutrition. Health Resources & Services Administration- Maternal & Child Health, MCH Workforce Development (grant no T79MC00013)
- Traditional and New Lifestyle Interventions for Breast Cancer Prevention (TANICA). Pacific Island Partnership for Cancer Health Equity (National Cancer Institute, Center to Reduce Cancer Health Disparities, grant numbers U54CA143727 and U54CA143728 PIs Neal Palafox, Randall Holcombe, Rachael Leon Guerrero, Margaret Hattori-Uchima) Pre Pilot award
- Career Development Support for R21- like project, “Farmacy Pediatric Produce Prescription for Food Insecurity and Health Disparities.” Supported by Ola HAWAII infrastructure (NIH NIMHD U54MD007601 PIs Jerris Hedges and Norren Mokuau)
Current Graduate Students
- Cherese Shelton (PhD), Food and Nutrition Education Activity Kits
- Samantha Garrido (MS), Eating Disorders and Social Media
- Bernice Delos Reyes (MS), Nutrition Intervention for Reducing Breast Cancer Recurrence
- Hannah Shai (PhD), Food Systems
- Andrea Cesarek (MS- ISPP), TBD
- Michael Yanos (MS-ISPP), Campus Food Insecurity
- Brittney Gallardo (MS-ISPP), TBD