Monica K. Esquivel  PhD, RDN, CSSD
Assistant ProfessorDepartment of Human Nutrition, Food and Animal Sciences, College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources – University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa
Personal Email: email@example.comINTERNET
- Greenberg JA, Luick B, Alfred JM, Barber LR, Bersamin A, Coleman P, Esquivel M, Fleming T, Leon Guerrero RT, Hollyer J, Lorring Johnson E, Novotny R, Remengesau S, Yamanaka A. The affordability of a thrifty food plan-based market basket in the United States-affiliated Pacific Region. Hawaii Journal of Health and Social Welfare. 2020 79(7). In press
- Esquivel MK, Higa A, Hitchens M, Shelton C, Okihiro M. Keiki produce prescription (KPRx) program feasibility study to reduce food insecurity and obesity risk. Hawaii Journal of Health and Social Welfare. 2020; 79(5).
- McElfish PA, Purvis R, Esquivel M, Sinclair KA, Townsend Ing C, Hawley N, Haggard-Duff LK, Kaholokula JK. Diabetes disparities and promising interventions to address diabetes in Native Hawaiian and Pacific Islander populations. Current Diabetes Reports. 2019:19(5).
- Investigators: Esquivel M, Silva J, Eng S, Hanakawa C, Teves G, Lincoln N, Yuan S. Title: Grow Eat Think Local: Farm to School (POW 14-243). Funding Body: College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resource Cooperative Extension and Hawai‘i Department of Health Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program. October 1, 2019-September 30, 2021. Total Amount Funded: $137,500
- Investigator: Esquivel M and Aflague T. Title: Interinstitutional Innovative Teaching Award: Innovating clinical nutrition instruction for the Pacific. Funding Body: Association of Public and Land-Grant Universities 2019 Academic Programs Section Innovation in Teaching Award. October 1, 2019 to August 31, 2020. Total Amount Funded: $5,000 (with additional $2,000 institution match)
- Investigator: Esquivel. Title: Farmacy Produce Prescription Evaluation. Funding Body: Contract with Waianae Coast Comprehensive Health Center. September 2018-September 2019 and October 2019-February 2020. Total Amount Funded: $21,500
- Project Director- OLA Hawaii Farmacy Pediatric Produce Prescription for Food Insecurity and Health Disparities. 2020-2022. Infrastructure support $250,000 from NIMHD U54MD007601
- Chair- USDA Multi-State Research Collaboration Project W1194 Children’s Healthy Living Network (CHLN) in the U.S. Affiliated Pacific Region. 2019-2021
- Emerging Dietetic Leader Award. 2019. Hawai‘i Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Current Graduate Students
- Cherise Shelton (PhD in Nutrition)