Congratulations to our graduates! Here is where they are today.
Tanisha Aflague, PhD, MS, RD
Addressing childhood obesity through surveillance, novel assessments, and enhancement of summer enrichment programs in Guam.
- Esquivel MK, Fialkowski MK, Aflague T, Novotny R. Engaging Head Start Teachers on Wellness Policy Implementation to Improve the Nutrition and Physical Activity Environment in Head Start Classrooms: A Qualitative Study of the Children’s Healthy Living Program (CHL) in Hawai’i. J Fam Med Community Health 2016; 3(5): 1094.
- Aflague TF, Boushey CJ, Leon Guerrero RT, Ahmad Z, Kerr DA, Delp EJ. Feasibility and Use of the Mobile Food Record for Capturing Eating Occasions among Children Ages 3–10 Years in Guam. Nutritents 2015; 7:4403-4415. doi:10.3390/nu7064403
- Boushey CJ, Hanbury AJ, Kerr DA, Schapp TE, Paterson S, Aflague TF, Bosch M, Ahmad Z, Delp EJ. The mobile food record: how willing are adolescents to record? JMIR mHealth uHealth 2015; 3(2):e47. doi:10.2196/mhealth.4087
Title & Employer
Assistant Professor (Director of Dietetics Program) at the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa
Childcare Center Wellness Policy Implementation for Childhood Obesity Prevention
Esquivel MK, Nigg C, Fialkowski MK, Braun K, Li F, Novotny R. Head Start Wellness Policy Intervention in Hawaii: A project of the Children’s Healthy Living Program (CHL). Childhood Obesity. 2016; 12 (1).
- Esquivel, MK, Nigg C, Fialkowski JK, Braun K, Li F, Novotny R. Influence of teachers’ personal health behaviors on operationalizing obesity prevention policy in Head Start preschools: A project of the Children’s Healthy Living Program (CHL). In press: Journal for Nutrition Education and Behavior.
Cheryl Gibby, PhD, MS
Maternal and infant factors involved in overweight/obesity and the acceptability of a text message-based intervention aimed at reducing excessive infant weight gain
Gibby CLK, Palacios C, Campos M, Graulau RE, Banna J. Acceptability of a text message-based intervention for obesity prevention in infants from Hawai’i and Puerto Rico WIC. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2019;19(1):291. doi:10.1186/s12884-019-2446-9
- Gibby CLK, Palacios C, Campos M, Lim E, Banna J. Associations between gestational weight gain and rate of infancy weight gain in Hawai’i and Puerto Rico WIC participants. BMC Obes. 2018;5:41. doi:10.1186/s40608-018-0219-z
- Gibby CLK, Palacios C, Campos M, Lim E, Banna J. Breastfeeding discontinuation not associated with maternal pregravid BMI but associated with Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander race in Hawaii and Puerto Rico WIC participants. Matern Child Health J. July 2018. doi:10.1007/s10995-018-2587-x
- Palacios C, Campos M, Gibby C, Meléndez M, Lee JE, Banna J. Effect of a Multi-Site Trial using Short Message Service (SMS) on Infant Feeding Practices and Weight Gain in Low-Income Minorities. J Am Coll Nutr. 2018;0(0):1-9. doi:10.1080/07315724.2018.1454353
- Banna J, Campos M, Gibby C, et al. Multi-site trial using short mobile messages (SMS) to improve infant weight in low-income minorities: Development, implementation, lessons learned and future applications. Contemp Clin Trials. 2017;62(Supplement C):56-60. doi:10.1016/j.cct.2017.08.011.
Michelle Mosley, PhD, MS, CBA
Title & Employer
ASenior Service Fellow at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Cultural Attitudes and Beliefs on Diet and Physical Activity in Early Adolescents and Influence on Weight and Dietary Intake
- Mosley, M.A., Andrade, F.C.D., Aradillas-Garcia, C., Teran-Garcia, M. Consumption of Dairy and Metabolic Syndrome Risk in a Convenient Sample of Mexican College Applicants. Food and Nutrition Sciences, 2013, 4, 56-65.
- Teran-Garcia, M., Andrade, F.C.D., Vazquez-Vidal, I., Mosley, M., Medina-Cerda, E., Aradillas-Garcia, C. FTO genotype is associated with body mass index and waist circumference in Mexican young adults. Open Journal of Genetics, 2013, 3, 44-48.
Title & Employer
Assistant Professor in Nutrition at the University of Nevada, Reno
Association of Fish and Long-Chain Omega-3 Fatty Acids in Pediatric Liver Diseases
St-Jules DE, Marinaro M, Goldfarb DS, Byham-Gray LD, Wilund KR. Managing Hyperkalemia: Another Benefit of Exercise in People With Chronic Kidney Disease? [published online ahead of print, 2019 Nov 22]. J Ren Nutr. 2019;S1051-2276(19)30355-3. doi:10.1053/j.jrn.2019.10.001
St-Jules DE, Goldfarb DS, Popp CJ, Pompeii ML, Liebman SE. Managing protein-energy wasting in hemodialysis patients: A comparison of animal- and plant-based protein foods. Semin Dial. 2019;32(1):41-46. doi:10.1111/sdi.12737
- St-Jules, David E; Goldfarb, David S; Pompeii, Mary Lou; Liebman, Scott E; Sherman, Richard A. Assessment and misassessment of potassium, phosphorus, and protein in the hemodialysis diet. Seminars in dialysis. 2018:31(5):479-486.
- St-Jules, David E; Goldfarb, David S; Pompeii, Mary Lou; Sevick, Mary Ann. Phosphate Additive Avoidance in Chronic Kidney Disease. Diabetes spectrum. 2017:30(2):101-106.
- St-Jules, David E; Jagannathan, Ram; Gutekunst, Lisa; Kalantar-Zadeh, Kamyar; Sevick, Mary Ann. Examining the Proportion of Dietary Phosphorus From Plants, Animals, and Food Additives Excreted in Urine. Journal of renal nutrition. 2016:27(2):78-83.
- St-Jules DE, Goldfarb DS, Sevick MA. Nutrient Non-equivalence: Does Restricting High-Potassium Plant Foods Help to Prevent Hyperkalemia in Hemodialysis Patients? [published correction appears in J Ren Nutr. 2016 Nov;26(6):416]. J Ren Nutr. 2016;26(5):282-287. doi:10.1053/j.jrn.2016.02.005
Improving Physical Activity and Fruit and Vegetable Social Cognitive and Behavior Variables in Filipino Adolescents in Hawai’i: The Waipahu Action Research and Training (HART) Project
- Fleary S, Nigg C, Kim S, Tagorda M, Rathke M. Validating stages of change for obesogenic behaviors across Filipino and Other Asian American and Pacific Islander adolescents. Journal of Racial and Ethnic Health Disparities.2017. doi:10.1007/s40615-017-0392-7.
- Rathke M, Tagorda M,Nigg C R. Predicting fruit and vegetable intake in Asian American & Pacific Islander adolescents via knowledge, self-efficacy and stage of change. Annals of Behavioral Medicine. 2016; 50: S308.
- Wing D, McClintock R, Plumlee D, Rathke M, Burnett T, Lyons B, Buono M. Does anticipatory sweating occur prior to fluid consumption? International Journal of Physiology, Pathophysiology, and Pharmacology. 2012;4:45-50.
Amit Kumar Singh, Phd, BVSc & A.H
Title & Employer: Postdoctoral Researcher, University of Georgia
Effect of exogenous enzymes and probiotics on digestibility and fiber utilization in chickens
- D. Bhuminand, B. Tapendra Prasad, S. Amit Kumar, M. Motozumi, M. Yoh-Ichi. 2009. Ovarian status, uterine pathology and physical condition of anoestrus and culled buffaloes in Chitwan, Nepal. Proceedings of the British Society of Animal Science Annual Conference in Southport, UK, 30 March- 1 April 2009.
Utsav Prakash Tiwari, PhD, B.V.Sc. & A.H.
Title & Employer
Postdoctoral Research Associate, Department of Animal Sciences, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Use of porcine in vivo, in vitro model and microscopy to see the effect of exogenous enzymes on degradation of fiber-starch-protein matrix
- Utsav P. Tiwari, H. Chen, S. W. Kim and R. Jha. Supplemental effect of xylanase and mannanase on non-starch polysaccharide digestibility and gut health of nursery pigs studied using both in vitro and in vitro model. Animal Feed Science and Technology. (Accepted manuscript)
- P. Tiwari, and R. Jha (2017). Nutrients, amino acid, fatty acid and non-starch polysaccharide profile and in vitro digestibility of macadamia nut cake in swine. Animal Science Journal, 88:1093-1099.
- P. Tiwari, and R. Jha (2016). Nutrient profile and digestibility of tubers and agro-industrial coproducts determined using an in vitro model of swine. Animal Nutrition, 2:357-360.
- Turano, U. P. Tiwari, and R. Jha (2016). Growth and nutritional evaluation of napier grass hybrids as forage for ruminants. Tropical Grasslands, 4(3):168-178.
- U.P. Tiwari, B. Turano, andR. Jha (2014). Nutritional characteristics and in vitro digestibility by near-infrared spectroscopy of local and hybrid napiergrass varieties grown in rain-fed and irrigated conditions. Animal Production Science, 54:1775-1778.
Chloe Panizza, PhD, MHlthProm, PostgradDip Dietetics, BSc Nutrition
Dissertation Topic Exploring the influence of diet quality on visceral adiposity and risk of mortality from non-communicable diseases among adults in the US.
- Panizza, C.E.; Wong, M.C.; Kelly, N.; Liu, Y.E.; Shvetsov, Y.B.; Lowe, D.A.; Weiss, E.J.; Heymsfield, S.B.; Kennedy, S.; Boushey, C.J.; Maskarinec, G.; Shepherd, J.A. Diet Quality and Visceral Adiposity among a Multiethnic Population of Young, Middle, and Older Aged Adults. CDN (in press).
- Panizza, C.E.; Lim, U.; Yonemori, K.M.; Cassel, K.D.; Wilkens, L.R.; Harvie, M.N.; Maskarinec, G.; Delp, E.J.; Lampe, J.W.; Shepherd, J.A.; Le Marchand, L.; Boushey, C.J. Effects of Intermittent Energy Restriction Combined with a Mediterranean Diet on Reducing Visceral Adiposity: A Randomized Active Comparator Pilot Study. Nutrients 2019, 11, 1386.
- Zhao, C.; Panizza, C. Fox, K.; Boushey, C.J.; Byker Shanks, C.; Ahmed, S.; Chen, S.; Serrano, E.L.; Zee, J.; Fialkowski, M.K.; Banna, J. Plate Waste in School Lunch: Barriers, Motivators, and Perspectives of SNAP-Eligibile Early Adolescents in the US. J Nutr Educ Behav 2019, 51, 967-975.
- Panizza, C.E.; Shvetsov, Y.B.; Harmon, B.E.;Wilkens, L.R.; Le Marchand, L.; Haiman, C.; Reedy, J.; Boushey, C.J. Testing the Predictive Validity of the Healthy Eating Index-2015 in the Multiethnic Cohort: Is the Score Associated with a Reduced Risk of All-Cause and Cause-Specific Mortality? Nutrients 2018, 10, 452.
- Banna, J.C.; Panizza, C.E.; Boushey, C.J.; Delp, E.J.; Lim, E. Association between Cognitive Restraint, Uncontrolled Eating, Emotional Eating and BMI and the Amount of Food Wasted in Early Adolescent Girls. Nutrients 2018, 10, 1279.
- Panizza, C.E.; Boushey, C.J.; Delp, E.J.; Kerr, D.A.; Lim, E.; Gandhi, K.; Banna, J.C. Characterizing Early Adolescent Plate Waste Using the Mobile Food Record. Nutrients 2017, 9, 93.
- Harray, A. J.; Boushey, C. J.; Pollard, C. M.; Panizza, C. E.; Delp, E. J.; Dhaliwal, S. S.; Kerr, D. A. Perception v. Actual Intakes of Junk Food and Sugar-Sweetened Beverages in Australian Young Adults: Assessed Using the Mobile Food Record. Public Health Nutrition 2017, 20(13), 2300–2307.