SAAS Peer Mentor Program
Developing Student Autonomy & Self-efficacy
The mission of the Student-Athlete Academic Services (SAAS) Peer Mentor Program is to develop student autonomy and self-efficacy. Mentors help students transition into the collegiate environment and support students within it by emphasizing the development of academic skills, such as time-management and organization, to assist the student in achieving their academic and professional potential. Mentors create a supportive atmosphere for one-on-one or group sessions where we assist students in monitoring their academic progress, identifying academic strengths and areas for improvement, and crafting a personalized holistic plan for success through evaluating current and alternative approaches. We work collaboratively with advisors, tutors, and other academic staff members to best meet the needs of each student-athlete. The goal of the Peer Mentor Program is to produce student-athletes who have the knowledge and confidence to effectively navigate the collegiate environment.
Student Learning Outcome
- Develop skills or strategies for academic, personal, and professional success.
- Develop time-management and organization.
- Develop critical and creative thinking skills.
- An awareness of resources/services on campus.
- An understanding of academic strengths and areas for improvement.
- An ability to create, implement, and evaluate personalized goals.
- An increased academic and personal confidence.
Peer-Mentor Program Certification
The Peer-Mentor Program is certified by the College Reading and Learning Association’s (CRLA) International Mentor Training Program Certification. This certification ensures that student-athletes receive exemplary service and support, and provides peer-mentors with valuable, marketable skills for their professional careers.
Based on 409 student responses spanning from Spring 2017 through Spring 2021:
- 92.67% agreed or strongly agreed with “Meeting with my mentor was helpful.”
- 91.44% agreed or strongly agreed with “I enjoyed meeting with my mentor.”
- 99.27% agreed or strongly agreed with “My mentor was easy to communicate with” and “supportive.”
- 89.98% agreed or strongly agreed with “As a result of meeting with a mentor, my time-management improved.”
- 90.46% agreed or strongly agreed with “As a result of meeting with a mentor, I set and evaluate personal goals.”
- 88.51% agreed or strongly agreed with “As a result of meeting with a mentor, I feel more capable of managing my academic responsibilities with less support.”
- 93.89% agreed or strongly agreed with “Mentors help student-athletes be more successful.”
- 97.31% agreed or strongly agreed with “I would recommend my mentor to other student-athletes.”
- 96.58% agreed or strongly agreed with “My mentor made me feel more comfortable at UH Mānoa.”
If you have any questions about SAAS’ Peer Mentor Program, including if you would like to participate or work within the program, please contact Justin Clapp.
Peer-Mentor Program Coordinator
Student-Athlete Academic Services
University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa