The Division of Student Success website has changed. Please use the navigation to find updated pages and save your updated links.

Mānoa Alcohol Use Policy


State law and the University’s Executive Policy (E11.202) regulate the purchase, possession or consumption of alcoholic beverages. Under state law, no one under the age of twenty-one may purchase, possess or consume alcoholic beverages. It is the responsibility of both the server and consumer to be aware of and abide by all existing laws and regulations.

Alcohol consumption is permitted in residence hall rooms and student apartments occupied by individuals who are twenty-one years of age or older. Consumption of alcoholic beverages is forbidden in all public and common areas.

All service or consumption of alcoholic beverages involving students on campus requires an endorsement from the Office of the Vice Provost for Student Success and approval from the Chief Business Officer. A minimum of two signatures is required on the request forms from the sponsoring organization or group.

Students and employees found to be in violation might be subject to the provisions of State law, University policy and the Student Conduct Code.

Request for Service or Sale of Alcoholic Beverages

To request permission to serve alcoholic beverages at an event, please fill out and submit the request form for approval at least two (2) weeks prior to the scheduled event. Instructions are provided on the second page of the form.

Download the Request for Service or Sale of Alcoholic Beverages Form (PDF)*

NOTE: Forms should be submitted electronically via email to the Mānoa Office of Business and Finance ( for processing.


  • Individuals representing organizations, units, or groups sponsoring activities at which alcoholic beverages are to be sold or served should be aware of their potential liability and other consequences incurred by them and their organization in the event a lawsuit is filed. It is recommended that liability insurance be purchased before the service or sale of alcoholic beverages is approved.
  • It is contrary to university policy to serve any alcoholic beverages at events or activities to which the public (or "any or all interested persons") are invited.
  • Advertisements or general description flyers announcing an event at which alcoholic beverages are to be served must state that only members and invited guests may attend.
  • In order to serve alcoholic beverages at functions which include non-university guests, such guests must be personally and individually invited.
  • Non-alcoholic beverages must be made available at all functions where alcohol is being served or sold.
  • It is strongly recommended that food be provided at all functions where alcohol is available.
  • The safety and security of all attendees must be assured.
  • Sale of alcoholic beverages must occur only under an appropriate license from the Honolulu Liquor Commission.
  • Student violators may be disciplined under the student conduct code.