COVID-19 Safety Guidelines, Operations & Resources
Updated: June 22, 2021
HELP is following all guidelines set by the CDC; Federal, State, and Local Government; and University of Hawai’i officials. Official University of Hawai’i at Mānoa preparations and guidance for the Fall 2020 semester can be found on the University of Hawai’i at Mānoa: Moving Forward website and UH COVID-19 Guidelines (interim) websites.
University of Hawaii Fall 2021 COVID-19 Requirements
On July 15, 2021, the University of Hawaii announced that the COVID-19 vaccine requirement will NOT be enforced for students to attend classes in-person for the Fall 2021 semester. Enforcement of the vaccination requirement to attend in-person classes will take place only after a vaccine is fully approved by the FDA, so will begin no sooner than the spring 2022 semester.
Students are still strongly encouraged to get vaccinated for COVID-19. International students are encouraged to get vaccinated in their home countries if the vaccine is available. If the vaccine is not available prior to arrival in Hawaii, we recommend that students plan receiving their vaccine as soon as they arrive in Hawaii. COVID-19 vaccines are free and readily available in Hawaii.
UH Announcement 07/15/2021: High UH vaccination rates, vaccine mandate will not be enforced to attend class.
Masking and social distance requirements will still be in place in Fall 2021.
HELP Fall 2021 COVID-19 Requirements
HELP’s safety guidelines for in-person operations will be in continuous development as we carefully monitor Hawaii’s COVID-19 recovery and follow recommendations from health experts.
General safety guidelines
- Stay at home when sick. Students must complete the University of Hawaii health check via LumiSight UH before they arrive on campus.
- Students are required to complete a temperature check at the HELP Front Office each morning before reporting to class.
- All students and staff must stay home if they present any symptoms related to COVID-19, or have had close contact with a COVID-19+ person.
- Students who are absent due to COVID-19 related issues will be excused. Students can complete alternative distance learning assignments until they are cleared to return to campus.
- Wear a face mask. All students and staff are required to wear face masks. Students & staff should provide their own face coverings. Face masks are required at all times on campus, indoors AND outdoors.
- Stay 6ft/2m away from others (*3ft/1m to be implemented in Fall 2021).
- All HELP classrooms are configured so that students are seated 6ft/2m away from each other.
- All students and staff are required to maintain 6ft/2m physical distancing in all activities on campus.
- Students will be encouraged to return home immediately after classes and avoid gathering in shared areas such as the HELP lanai.
- Wash your hands.
- All students and staff are reminded to wash their hands properly for at least 20 seconds with soap and water frequently.
- Hand sanitizer is available in all HELP classrooms and shared facilities.
All current HELP students and staff will receive specific information and training on the health & safety requirements before beginning any in-person classes.
Classrooms & Facilities
HELP is following guidelines set by the University of Hawaii at Manoa Space Planning, Preparation, and Utilization committee. The Moving Forward website lists space guidelines for all campus facilities.
In particular for HELP facilities, we are enforcing the following safety measures:
- 6-feet physical distancing locations for desks/chairs are indicated on the floor (*3-feet in Fall 2021).
- Classroom capacities have been reduced by approximately 50%.
- Classrooms have a designated entry door and a designated exit door.
- Cleaning/sanitizing wipes and hand-sanitizer are provided in all classrooms.
- Signs are posted in every classroom & shared areas reminding users of how to prevent sharing of germs (eg. proper hand-washing, proper wearing of face masks).
- Seating in the HELP student lounge has been reduced to half capacity.
- The HELP computer lab is open for students who need to access computers and printers for school work. Seating has been reduced to half capacity. Students are required to sanitize their work station before and after use.
Signs on classroom doors indicating that the room is configured for social distancing.
Desks and table space marked off for social distancing.
Classroom desks arranged for social distancing.
Front Office Services
- The Front Office is available for in-person services Monday – Friday, 8am-5pm.
- Visitors are required to wear a mask and follow social distancing markers in the office.
- The HELP Front Office will continue to handle most service requests virtually, and encourages all students to utilize virtual services:
- For payments, students can use HELP’s online payment options.
- Students can submit all document request forms by email. All document request forms are available online can be submitted digitally via email or secure Filedrop (eg. requests for Verification of Enrollment letters, transcripts, change of address, etc.)
- Students can request a phone or videoconference session with a HELP Front Office staff member by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
COVID-19 Response Protocol
HELP will follow the COVID-19 Response protocol outlined by the University of Hawaii at Manoa COVID Guidelines.
If there is a positive COVID-19 case at HELP, we will follow the University’s protocols for responding to the case. Classes will only resume in-person after we receive approval from the State Department of Health and the UH COVID-19 resource team.
UH COVID-19 Campus Updates
State of Hawaii Resources
- Hawaii COVID-19 Website
- State of Hawaii Department of Transportation – Honolulu International Airport COVID-19 Information
City and County of Honolulu Resources