- Home Page
- About Us
- Student Life
- Contact Us
The University of Hawaii English Language Program (HELP) is now offering the University of Cambridge Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults (CELTA) course.
What is CELTA?
CELTA is one of the world’s foremost initial qualifications for people who wish to become professional teachers of the English language. It is accepted throughout the world by organizations that employ English language teachers.
Who is CELTA for?
This course is for individuals who would like to transition into the field of ESL/EFL. It is also suitable for ESL/EFL teachers who have classroom experience but no formal training in English language teaching. Additionally, this course is practical for teachers who teach other languages.
Design of the Program
The program is designed to enable the teacher trainees on the course to develop:
- awareness of language and a knowledge of the description of English and apply these in their professional practice
- an initial understanding of the contexts within which adults learn English, their motivations and the roles of the teacher and the learner
- familiarity with appropriate resources and materials for use with adult learners of English for teaching, testing and for reference
To meet the course requirements, teacher trainees on the course are required to attend 100% of the course and to:
- practice teach in a class at two different levels for a total of six hours
- observe experienced teachers teaching classes for a total of six hours
- maintain and submit a portfolio of all course work including all written assignments and materials related to teaching practice
Benefits of taking the CELTA
A CELTA graduate leaves the course knowing more about the English language, having the ability to create effective lesson plans and feeling confident in teaching a variety of lessons, particularly, to Beginner and Intermediate level students.
2019 CELTA Schedule
- Course One: May 13 – June 7, 2019 (4-weeks, Monday – Friday) (Application deadline: April 15, 2019)
- Course Two: June 17 – July 18, 2019 (5-weeks, Monday – Thursday) (Application deadline: May 17, 2019)
Study Days and Hours
Monday – Friday (Course 1) or Monday – Thursday (Course 2), 8:30 – 5:00
1. Fill out and submit CELTA Application Form (PDF)
Email to email@example.com or mail to:
Hawaii English Language Program (HELP)
1395 Lower Campus Road, MC 13-1
Honolulu, HI 96822
2. Pay application fee
The application fee should be submitted with your application form and can be paid by credit card (Visa/Mastercard), check, or wire transfer. For credit card payment, please stop by our office during office hours or fill out the credit card authorization form and send to us by mail or fax (808-956-5100). For other methods of payment, please contact us.
3. Complete Pre-Interview Task
You will be emailed a written task after your application is received. Complete the task and send it back.
4. Interview with CELTA trainer
After submitting the completed written task, you will be scheduled for an interview with a CELTA trainer. They will discuss your written task, expectations for the course, and will determine your suitability for the CELTA course.
5. Prepare for the course
If accepted, pay remaining tuition, purchase and read required books, and complete an additional pre-course task. If you are an international applicant, contact us about procedures for receiving a Form I-20 and applying for the student visa.
Hawai’i English Language Program
Department of Second Language Studies
1395 Lower Campus Road MC 13-1
Honolulu, Hawaii 96822