- For Students
- For Faculty
- News & Events
- News & Events
- Current Courses
- LAIS Certificate
- AGC in SLS/Spanish Applied Linguistics
- Language Immersion Programs
- Contact Us
Professor, Chair of Classics
1890 East-West Rd.
Moore Hall 491
Honolulu, HI 96822
- BA, PhD, Columbia University
- M.Litt., University of Oxford
- THE GREEK EXPERIMENT: IMPERIALISM AND SOCIAL CONFLICT: 800-400 B.C. (Thames and Hudson, London l974 and Harcourt Brace, New York l974 (hard and paper). [Amazon.com]
- KINSHIP AND POLITICS IN ATHENS 600-400 B.C. (Peter Lang, New York) 1990. [Amazon.com]
- JEWISH HISTORY IN 100 NUTSHELLS (with Naomi Pasachoff) (Aronson, New York 1994) paperback 1996 [Amazon.com]
- CONCISE HISTORY OF THE JEWISH PEOPLE (with Naomi Pasachoff) Roman and Littlefield 2005 [Amazon.com]
- THE BOOK OF TOBIT (introduction, translation and commentary) Brill, Leiden, Holland publication date expected 2004 (in Septuagint Commentary Series) [Amazon.com]
- THE THEBAN PLAYS (with Ruth Fainlight) Johns Hopkins University Press 2009 [Amazon]
- THE WISDOM OF BEN SIRACH (introduction, translation and commentary) Brill, Leiden, Holland publication date expected 2014 (in Septuagint Commentary Series) [Amazon.com]
- “Epidemiology of the Plague of Athens,” (with D. Morens) TAPA 122 (1992) 271-304.
- “The Menetekel Inscription in Rembrandt’s Belshezzar’s Feast,” Oud Holland 107 (1993) 296-297.
- “The `Thucydides Syndrome’ Reconsidered: New Thoughts on the `Plague of Athens,’ (with D. Morens) Am.J.Epidemiology 140 (1994) 621-628.
- “Medicine in Alexandria,” in Aufsteig und Niedergang der römischen Welt II, 37.3 (1996) 2678-2708.
- “Athens, Persia and the Book of Ezra, TAPA 125 (1995) 251-259.
- “Aids and AAA in Egypt? Emerging Infectious Diseases 2 no. 4 (1996) 363.
- “Hellenic Holocaust: A Historical Clinico-Pathologic Conference,” (with D. Durack, M. Benitez, P. Mackowiak) American Journal of Medicine 109 (2000) 391-397.
- “Dor and the Athenian Empire,” American Journal of Ancient History. Forthcoming
- Chancellor’s Citation for Meritorious Teaching
- Herodotus Fellowship, Institute for Advanced Study
- Elected, Member, School of Historical Studies, Institute for Advanced Study, Princeton, N.J
Director, Tell Timai Excavation, Timai el-Amdid Egypt 2007-present
Current Research and Professional Projects
- Codex Sinaiticus Curatorial Committee | http://codexsinaiticus.org/en/
- Septuagint studies, Greek history, history of Greek medicine, Egyptian medicine, Greco-Roman Egypt biblical history,
- Trustee, Archaeological Institute of America 2010-present | http://www.archaeological.org/
- President, Archaeological Institute of America Hawaii Society 1996-present
- Greek and Roman Mythology
- Upper level Greek and Latin languages
- Egyptian language
- Greek and Latin Roots of Medical Terminology