News, Blogs & Events
(5 most recent)
- Library Transitions to a New Library Services Platform (11/4/2019) - On December 18, 2019, UHM Library Services and all other libraries in the UH system will go live with a new library services platform called Alma and its discovery layer called PrimoVE. The new system will replace our out-dated Voyager system and the front-end public access catalog Hawaiʻi Voyager. Alma will provide our libraries with ...
- Portions of Sinclair Library not accessible Saturday, October 13, 2018 (10/8/2018) - Only Sinclair Library’s Grand Lobby, Heritage Reading Room, and ITS Wong Computer Lab will be accessible on Saturday, October 13, 2018. The rest of the building will be closed due to a planned power outage. Regular access to all study spaces are scheduled to resume on Sunday, October 14, 2018.
- 2nd Treasures at UH Hamilton Library Colloquia (12/27/2017) - A diverse group of over 40 participants attended the 2nd Treasures at UH Hamilton Library Colloquia on November 1, 2017. The event was named “War, Languages, and Un/intended Consequences: from Diderot to after World War Two” and it introduced resources ranging from the 18th century encyclopedia (Diderot), to dictionaries and language learning textbooks across China, ...
- Explore the Reef New Science & Technology Reference Exhibit (11/17/2017) - A selected collection of books, articles, maps, and Web sites from the vast and rich body of information available on coral reef ecosystems. In this exhibit learn the Hawaiian names for coral, identify the world’s oldest living marine species at Papahānaumokuākea, discover a new hermit crab species, and find out how YOU can participate in ...
- Pacific Collection awarded $1896 by SEED (11/17/2017) - The Pacific Collection has been awarded $1896 by the UH-M Office of Student Equity, Excellence and Diversity (SEED). The award will be used to help fund Ke Au Hou: Generations of Pacific Librarianship, an international conference that the Hawaiian & Pacific Collections are hosting in May 2018, in conjunction with the Center for Pacific Islands ...
(5 most recent)
2020 LooChoo Identity Summit at Windward Community College
by okinawacollection on December 4, 2019 at 8:00 pm
The Ukwanshin Kabudan has announced its annual LooChoo Identity Summit details. Dates: March 6-8, 2020 Locations: March 6 & 7: Windward Community College, Kaneohe, HI March 8: Pagoda Restaurant […]
Kokoro Odoru Premiere at HIFF
by okinawacollection on November 2, 2019 at 1:30 am
A film titled Okinawan Blue (Kokoro Odoru) will be premiered at the 2019 Hawai’i International Film Festival (HIFF)! According to the HIFF site, the film is “[s]et in the quaint, […]
1930 UH Graduate won first Documentary Film Oscar in 1941
by UH Archives on October 18, 2019 at 11:07 pm
You may have seen the PBS documentary Finding Kukan, about the story of Li Ling-Ai, a female film producer from Hawai‘i who was uncredited for her work on an Oscar-winning documentary about […]
2019 Okinawa Karate Day
by okinawacollection on October 18, 2019 at 7:00 pm
In March 2005, Okinawa Prefectural Government decreed that October 25th is a Karate Day. This year there are some events planned to commemorate the Karate Day. Okinawa Karate Kaikan […]
Hajichi in Okinawa and Tattoos in Taiwan
by okinawacollection on October 1, 2019 at 4:30 am
The Asahi Shinbun Digital article has published an article on hajichi, tattoo practice, in Okinawa. The article’s headline reads,” […]