Fifty Years as a Center of Our Lives: College/University of Hawai'i, 1907-1957

November 1, 2002-November 30, 2002
Location: Moir Reading Room

On 6 November 2002, the University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa rededicated Hamilton Library following the construction on phase III and the renovation of phases I and II. As part of the celebration, the University Archives mounted an exhibit documenting the early years of the Mānoa campus and focusing upon the role the University played in the lives of students, faculty and staff.

As part of the Archives contribution to and celebration of the Centennial of the University, much of the materials in this exhibit were mounted on the web. We welcome all potential patrons to come to the Archives to pursue research topics. For further information, please contact the University Archives and Manuscripts Department at archives@hawaii.edu.

Early College of Hawaiʻi football team practices outside the Maerten House, home of the College of Hawaiʻi, 1908 - 1912 (University Archives Photograph)
Football practice, 1908-1912

Hawaiʻi Hall Cornerstone Laying, 22 January 1912 (University Archives Photograph GPB-006)
Hawaii Hall Cornerstone Laying, 1912. University Archives Photograph GPB-006

Hawaiʻi Hall Cornerstone Laying, 22 January 1912 (University Archives, Photograph GPB-004)
Hawaii Hall Cornerstone Laying, 1912. University Archives, Photograph GPB-004

Hawaiʻi Hall shortly after construction, Front (Ewa side) View. This, as well as several other early images, is a glass plate photograph. This glass plate negative has been broken; the print was made after the plate was broken as shown by the lines above the building and along the right hand side. (University Archives Photograph GPA-005)
Hawaii Hall, Front View

Hawaiʻi Hall, rear view (Koko Head side), shortly after completion (University Archives Photograph GPA-002)
Hawaii Hall, Rear View

Commencement Ceremony, Hawaiʻi Hall, 1919. Sanford Dole handing diplomas to graduates (University Archives Photograph GPB-uncat)
Commencement, 1919

1919 Hawaiʻi Football Champions. College of Hawaiʻi Football Team on Koko Head side (rear) of Hawaiʻi Hall (University Archives Photograph OURD Football 1a & 1b)
1919 Football Team

Flag Rush, traditional competition between sophomore and freshman classes. Sophomores began the competition with a man and their class flag at the top of a pole. Freshmen tried to get past sophomores guarding access to the pole, to climb the pole and take the sophomore flag down, and to place the freshman flag on the top of the pole. Then the freshmen tried to defend their banner from sophomores trying to restore the sophomore flag. The earliest recorded Flag Rush occurred 1 October 1919. (University Archives Photograph GPB-011)
Flag Rush

Faculty, most of them at least, on the rear lanai of Hawaiʻi Hall. THis photograph was taken no earlier than 1920, since Dr. Romanzo Adams—standing third from right—came to UH that year. Are these two images the same photograph? No: Dr. Arthur Andrews, center front, looked the other way. (University Archives Photographs GPB-008 and GPB-009)

Aerial Views of Campus, 1910s - 1950s

Aerial view of campus, late 1910s, showing Hawaiʻi Hall and the first building of the Engineering Quad, the two oldest buildings still standing on campus. Beau Press currently (as of 2002) occupies this part of the Engineering Quad. (University Archives Photograph OURD 220)
Aerial view of campus, 1910s

Aerial photograph, 4 April 1926, shows George Hall (the Library) and Gartley Hall, the two newest buildings of the era. Note that University Avenue extends from Vancouver Highway in Mānoa Valley makai to Metcalf Street. (University Archives Photograph OURD 99B)
Aerial view of campus, 1926

Aerial photograph, 4 April 1932, shows several changes in the six intervening years: University Avenue extends all the way makai to Mōʻiliʻili; Wist Hall, Atherton House, Farrington Auditorium, and the Gymnasium have been built. (University Archive Photograph OURD 231A)
Aerial view of campus, 1932

Aerial photograph, 6 January 1937, shows Andrews Amphitheatre, old Gilmore Hall, an expanded Pineapple Research Institute (now Krauss Hall), and Campus Gate. Dole Street runs from McCully area (beyond the left margin of photograph) to University Avenue. Note also the distance between the quarry edge and Andrews Amphitheatre. (University Archives Photograph OURD 227A)
Aerial view of campus, 1937

Aerial photograph, 6 April 1939. Two years brought numerous changes. How many can you spot? (University Archives Photograph OURD 223B)
Aerial view of campus, 1939

Aerial photograph above Waʻahila Ridge, approximate date 1944. Note shadow of airplane in the lower right hand corner and edge of wing along the right margin (University Archives Photograph OURD 232B)
Aerial view of campus, 1944

Aerial photograph 1948/49. Addition to Hemenway Hall is nearly finished; construction of Bachman Hall has just begun. (University Archives Photograph OURD 242A)
Aerial view of campus, 1948/49

Aerial photograph, c 1955, showing development in the quarry was still limited: baseball diamond and tennis courts. The gymnasium just beyond Sinclair Library is still in use. (University Archives Photograph OURD 248)
Aerial view of campus, 1955

UH as a Center in the Lives of Americans of Japanese Ancestry, 1941-1945

Sam Mukaida leads fellow students at UH in song during a special rally on steps of Hawaiʻi Hall saying Aloha to the Varsity Victory Volunteers, Wednesday February 25th, 1942. (Hawaiʻi War Records Depository [HWRD] Photo #0765, Hawaiʻi Star Bulletin)
Mukaida leading singing

Coed Eloise McInery gives Varsity Victory Volunteers [VVV] leis at rally at Hawaiʻi Hall, Wednesday February 25th, 1942. (HWRD Photo #0761, Hawaiʻi Star Bulletin)
Coed giving VVV men leis

VVV men walking to Army trucks following farewell at Hawaiʻi Hall, Wednesday February 25th, 1942 (HWRD Photo #0760, Hawaiʻi Star Bulletin)
VVV men after farewell

VVV men in Army trucks at Varney Circle waiting for departure for Schofield Barracks, circa February 25th, 1942 (printed in the Star Bulletin on 27 Feb. 1942; HWRD Photo #0758)
VVV men in trucks

Col. T.H. Green inspects the Varsity Victory Volunteers, Wednesday February 25th, 1942 (printed in the Star Bulletin on 27 Feb. 1942; HWRD Photo #0757)
Col. Green

In addition to photographs from the HWRD, the exhibit included the 1942 and 1943 editions of the University's Ka Palapala yearbook, which contained pages on the VVV.
The exhibit also featured a scrapbook that 442nd Regimental Combat Team soldier John Tsukano created of his experiences during training at Camp Shelby, Mississippi. The first image is a portrait of John. Other images are scattered through the pages, which primarily contain news clippings of current events at the time.
John Tsukano Girl standing on beach Portraits of two soldiers Girl next to car and group of soldiers

Back To Top