O-1 Workers

The O-1 nonimmigrant classification is for foreign nationals with extraordinary abilities in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics shown by evidence of sustained national or international acclaim in their field. As the employer, UH files O-1 petitions on behalf of eligible employees with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Individuals may not self-petition for O-1 classification.

Click on the links below for more information or directly access O-1 forms and templates.

Sponsoring O-1 Employment

Step 1: UH job offer
Step 2: Determine O-1 eligibility
Step 3: Prepare O-1 request
Step 4: FSIS processing
Step 5: USCIS processing
Step 6: Apply for O-1 entry (if employee is outside the U.S.)

O-3 Dependents

O-3 eligibility
Obtaining and extending O-3 status
Employment prohibited for O-3 dependents
Study permitted for O-3 dependents

Maintaining O-1 Compliance

O-1 duration
O-1 extensions
Changes to O-1 employment
Travel abroad and reentry to the U.S.
Reporting new home addresses to USCIS
Dual intent

Ending O-1 Employment

Resignation (voluntary termination)
Dismissal (involuntary termination)
Lawful permanent residence is obtained