(click on questions to view answers)

A Fleet Services vehicle may be used by an authorized state employee with a valid driver’s license.
Yes, if your university department grants you authorization, you have a valid driver’s license, and you are using the Fleet Services vehicle for university business purposes.
If damage occurs to a Fleet Services vehicle due to negligence, misuse, or abuse on your part, then you will be held responsible for it. Your university department will be assessed repair costs and these costs may be passed along to you. Failure to pay these costs may result in your university department losing its vehicle assignment and being barred from any future Fleet Services vehicle rentals or acquisitions.
Before leaving the lot, please check for—and report—any missing or damaged items to the Fleet Services Office. This will prevent your department from being charged for such items. Fleet Service personnel will inspect the vehicle upon its return. The cost of replacing or repairing any items will be assessed to your department. Your department may then pass these costs along to you.
If a passenger is an employee of—or essential to—your department, then he or she is an authorized passenger. Allowing unauthorized passengers to ride in a Fleet Services vehicle may result in disciplinary action.
Your university department will reimburse you for any reasonable parking fees (e.g. from a meter, lot, or toll booth) that you incur while operating a Fleet Services vehicle for university business purposes.
No, Fleet Services vehicles may only be used for university business purposes (e.g. picking up or dropping off documents, items, or people at work-related locations). Personal or leisure use (e.g. errands, medical appointments, and food runs) is not permitted
If one of the following situations applies to your job, you may submit an application for exception to the Commuter and Fleet Services Manager:

  1. Your position at the University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa requires you to respond to emergencies at any hour of the day or night, and when the use of a state-owned vehicle is essential to meet these contingencies.
  2. When state-provided vehicle storage facilities are unavailable, inadequate, or located in an unsafe area.
  3. When the nature of your work requires a state-owned vehicle before and after normal working hours on a regular basis.
  4. When it is impractical to require you to pick up and drop off a state-owned vehicle at a central lot.

If your application is approved by the Commuter and Fleet Services Manager, the Office of the President, and the Department of Accounting and General Services, you will be issued an official permit. The permit is effective from July 1 of the current year to June 30 of the following year and must be renewed on an annual basis.

Yes, if the vehicle is going to be used for university business, a written request is submitted in advance by your university department, and this request is approved by Commuter and Fleet Services Manager.
No, smoking is prohibited by both the driver and the passenger of a Fleet Services vehicle.
No, cell phone use is prohibited by anyone operating a Fleet Services vehicle. Passengers, however, may use their cell phones.