Spalding 360
2540 Maile Way
Honolulu, HI 96822
Tel: (808) 956-7541

Associate Dean
Spalding 358
2540 Maile Way
Honolulu, HI 96822
Tel: (808) 956-7541

Graduate Student Services
Spalding 353B
2540 Maile Way
Honolulu, HI 96822
Tel: (808) 956-8544
(808) 956-8500
(808) 956-4257 (Voice/Text)
Fax: (808) 956-4261
Email: General Inquiries:
Current Student Inquiries:

Graduate Council

Graduate Council is a representative body of graduate programs at UH Manoa and serves as an advisory group to the Dean. In addition to graduate program representatives, the Graduate Student Organization and Manoa Faculty Senate each have two members on Graduate Council. Members of the Graduate Council serve terms of three years and rotate between the three standing committees: Administrative-Admissions-Advisory, Program, and Course Committees. The council meets regularly throughout the academic year.

Graduate Assembly

The Graduate Assembly is composed of the chairs of each graduate program. It functions as an advisory board to the dean on major policy matters and serves as a forum for discussion on matters pertaining to graduate study.

Chairs of the Graduate Programs

The chairs of the graduate programs serve as the liaison with Graduate Division in matters of policy, procedural changes, program effectiveness, and general graduate student affairs. They advise on the admission of graduate students, advise graduate students on their degree programs, review graduate student petitions, keep records on their graduate students, and certify that degree candidates have completed all requirements.

Graduate chairs are appointed by the Dean of Graduate Division with the recommendation of the faculty of the program and endorsement by the Dean of the academic unit.

Graduate Student Organization

See the “Student Life” section for information on this organization.

WICHE Regional Graduate Programs

See the “Tuition, Fees, and Financial Aid” section for information on these programs.

Academic Policies

The following regulations and procedures governing admission to Graduate Education at UH Manoa are subject to change without prior notice. Prospective students should consult with the website for updated policies.

Although UH Manoa attempts to accommodate the course requests of students, course offerings may be limited by financial, space, and staffing considerations or may otherwise be unavailable. Nothing in this Catalog may be construed to promise or guarantee registration in any course or course of study (whether required or elective), nor may anything be construed to promise or guarantee the completion of an academic program within a specified length of time.

Student Responsibility

It is the responsibility of students to know and observe all regulations and procedures relating to the program they are pursuing, as well as those of UH Manoa and Graduate Division. In no case will a regulation be waived or an exception granted because students plead ignorance of or contend that they were not informed of the regulations or procedures. Questions on regulations and their interpretation pertaining to studies at the graduate level should be addressed to the Dean of Graduate Division.

Students planning to graduate should familiarize themselves with the dates relating to application for graduation and other pertinent deadlines (see the “Calendar”). It is necessary to apply for graduation by the specified deadline in order to graduate in a particular term, whether or not the student plans to attend the commencement ceremonies.

Students must satisfy the degree requirements of the Catalog in force during the term for which they were admitted; or they may, with the consent of their advisors, meet graduation requirements by complying with the provisions of a later Catalog. Students readmitted to a degree program must meet degree requirements of the Catalog in force at the time of the later admission (or of a subsequent Catalog, as provided above). Aside from degree requirements, all students are subject to the regulations and policies stated in the Catalog currently in force. Exceptions to the regulations contained in the Catalog require the written approval of Graduate Division, unless otherwise stated in the Catalog.

All written work should observe high editorial standards, and high standards of academic honesty are expected. Though advisory services are provided to assist the student, the student alone is responsible for following the procedures and completing the steps required in the degree program. Requirements of Graduate Division, both procedural and substantive, may be waived only by written request of the student and/or committee and supported by the graduate chair concerned. Written approval from Graduate Division for all such requests is required. Petition forms are available in department offices, the Graduate Division Student Services Office, and online at

Academic Integrity

UH Manoa has adopted policies and procedures for dealing with academic (and research) misconduct by its students, faculty, and staff. The guidelines, which are available in department offices and in the office of the Dean of Graduate Division, pertain to the intentional commission of any academic misconduct, including falsification of research results, improper assignment of authorship, plagiarism, deceptive manipulation of experiments or of research procedures, and misappropriation of research funds.

If a graduate student fails to maintain the standards of academic or professional integrity expected in his or her discipline or program, the student’s admission to the program may be terminated. (See “Campus Policies” for further discussion of policy pertaining to academic honesty.)

Research with Human or Animal Subjects

Students intending to conduct research using human or animal subjects should be aware of federal, state, and UH Manoa regulations and review processes to ensure compliance with protective standards. These regulations cover research funded by non-UH Manoa sources, sponsored by UH Manoa, or conducted by or under the direction of any employee or agent of UH Manoa in connection with his or her institutional responsibilities or using any UH Manoa property or facility. These regulations also cover research involving the use of UH Manoa’s non-public information to identify or contact research subjects.

Students and UH Manoa employees should refer to the “Campus Policies” section for more information on federal research guidelines and check with their respective graduate chairperson for guidance.


Applicants for advanced degree programs must hold a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited U.S. college or university or its equivalent from a recognized foreign institution of higher learning. The standards of the degree in question must be equivalent in both the distribution of academic subject matter and in scholarship achievement requirements to those maintained at UH Manoa.

All applicants should have outstanding academic records. The evaluation is based on the applicant’s academic record, as well as test scores, the statement of objectives, and where appropriate, professional experience. Applicants may submit unofficial copies of transcripts and test scores while applying for admissions. However, admitted students are required to submit official transcripts and test scores in order to enroll at UH Manoa.

Completed applications are screened by the Graduate Student Services Office. Applications that meet the requirements of Graduate Division are forwarded to the respective graduate program, where the standards applied may be more stringent than those set by Graduate Division. There the applications are subjected to a more comprehensive and intensive review by the graduate faculty. Where admission is intensely competitive, admission decisions are reached through a comparison of the relative merits of all applicants applying in the program or in an area of concentration, if applicable, for that particular semester. The graduate program then makes a recommendation to Graduate Division either to admit or deny the applicant. The final decision to make a formal offer of admission rests with Graduate Division, which takes into full consideration the recommendation of the graduate program. Admission is valid only for the semester in which the student was accepted.

Applicants may be denied admission for any number of reasons. Some of the more common bases of denial are undistinguished academic records and poor test scores, inadequate preparation and background for advanced academic or professional study, unclear or unfocused objectives for graduate study, or inability of the program to accommodate all qualified applicants due to limited space or lack of faculty to guide the students in specified areas of interest. It is suggested that applicants consult the chair of the selected program concerning their interests and availability of faculty members in their intended areas of study.

Graduate Student Services Office notifies each applicant of the decision. Official notification of acceptance or rejection is generally mailed between February and June for fall admission, depending on when the completed application is received and when a decision is reached. Most of the notifications are mailed in April and May. For spring, notification is generally between October and December. In programs with intense competition, selections are often made early. Applicants should not make definite arrangements to attend UH Manoa until they receive formal notice of acceptance from Graduate Division.

All applicants are required to specify on the application form all current and previous enrollment in any postsecondary institution. Any applicant who fails to inform UH Manoa of such enrollment or who submits or has submitted any required information or document that is fraudulent or that has been altered without proper authorization may be denied admission to UH Manoa. If the omissions and/or alterations are discovered after the student is enrolled, enrollment may be canceled and the student will be referred to UH Manoa’s Student Conduct Committee for possible disciplinary action.

Application Procedures and Deadlines

You may apply for graduate admission by downloading an application form or by electronic application from the website listed below. Specific program information should be obtained directly from the appropriate graduate program. For a listing of graduate programs contact information, visit the website: Communication should be addressed to the graduate chair of the appropriate graduate program.

For further information on general graduate admissions, write or email the Graduate Student Services Office at College/schools of business, medicine, and law are not part of Graduate Division. Applicants should apply directly to the Shidler College of Business, John A. Burns School of Medicine, or to the William S. Richardson School of Law.

Application Requirements

Students applying for admission to graduate programs must submit the following:

To Graduate Division

  1. On-line application form and application fee–no fee waivers;
  2. One official transcript from each postsecondary institution attended, sent directly from the institution to Graduate Student Services or received in a sealed institutional envelope. Transcripts are NOT required for course work completed at any of the UH campuses. The Graduate Student Services Office will obtain UH transcripts on behalf of applicants;
  3. Official Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or IELTS Academic Modules Test score report, if required (for international applicants, as well as some immigrant and U.S. applicants); and
  4. Verification of financial status (for international applicants).

If more than 25 percent of a student’s undergraduate course work at a U.S. institution has been graded under a nontraditional grading system (i.e., pass/fail, credit/no credit, satisfactory/unsatisfactory, etc.), then:

  1. Transcripts must be accompanied by official course performance reports, i.e., faculty evaluations (one copy each of transcripts and performance reports);
  2. Transcripts from nontraditional grading systems must include course descriptions and grade conversion information; and
  3. If the applicant must take the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) General Test, forward test results to Graduate Division. [Applicants to the School of Travel Industry Management may take the GMAT instead of the GRE.]

To the Graduate Program
Submission of all materials, unless otherwise indicated by the graduate program are via the Graduate Division Online Supplemental Document System. Access to this system follows the graduate admissions application.

  1. Letters of recommendation if required by the graduate program;
  2. One official transcript from each postsecondary institution attended, sent directly to the graduate program by the institution, if required by the graduate program;
  3. Standardized test scores (excluding TOEFL and IELTS) such as GRE, GMAT, if required by the graduate program;
  4. Special application forms, statement of objectives and long-range goals if required by the graduate program; and
  5. Samples of work (slides, manuscripts, portfolio, or tapes), résumés, and writing samples if required by the graduate program.

For details, refer to the specific graduate program brochure and application instructions. Materials submitted in support of an application are not released for other purposes and cannot be returned to the applicant. Failure to fill out the application completely according to instructions may result in delays and/or file closure.

Application Deadlines

Please refer to the Graduate Division Prospective Student section at or specific graduate program brochure for specific application deadlines. Each graduate program may have different deadlines and some programs do not have spring admissions.

In many cases, admission offers include financial support, such as assistantships, scholarships, fellowships, and tuition waivers. Frequently, this support is awarded early to highly qualified applicants. Applications are processed by Graduate Student Services Office as early as August 1 for the fall semester and May 1 for the spring semester. It is recommended that a completed graduate admissions application be submitted as early as possible.

International Applicants

International applicants must submit official academic records in the original language accompanied by certified English translations. These translations must bear either the embossed seal or inked stamp of the issuing institution or governmental agency or the original signature of the translator, and they must be complete and exact word-for-word translations of the original documents.

The following lists the minimum academic qualifications expected of international applicants from the following selected countries or areas for admissions consideration. These qualifications must be completed prior to enrollment. Not all regions and countries are represented and admission eligibility is determined upon review of all required application materials.

  • Australia, Canada, South Africa: Bachelor’s degree requiring at least four years of study or an honours bachelor degree.
  • Baltic and East European States, former Soviet Republics: Diplom, Inzenyr, Magister, Oklevél: diploma requiring four to five years of post-secondary study.
  • Bangladesh, India, Myanmar, Nepal, and Pakistan: Completed master’s degree at the time of application or a four-five year bachelor’s degree such as the B. Engineering, B. Technology, or B. Agriculture.
  • United Kingdom and British patterned systems: Honours bachelor degree.
  • France or French patterned systems: Maitrise or title of Ingenieur; four-five year degree.
  • Germany: University Diplom, Magister Artium, or Staatsexamen. The vordiplom alone is not sufficient.
  • Philippines: Bachelor’s degree from chartered higher education institutions (state universities and colleges) or CHED approved institutions and degree programs or FAAP certified level II or III accreditation status.
  • Bologna-compliant three year bachelor degrees will be given consideration.

If admitted, international students must receive two clearances in order to register: (1) University Health Services clearance documenting adherence with health regulations; and (2) International Student Services (ISS) clearance documenting adherence to international student regulations and proof of adequate health insurance. Note: International applicants with a non-immigrant visa status other than student status should contact the ISS. Federal restrictions on full-time study may apply.

Concurrent Pursuit of Multiple Graduate Programs

Current UH Manoa graduate students who wish to pursue an additional graduate degree concurrently are required to obtain advance approval from their program chair and the Graduate Dean. Upon approval, students may apply for admission to an additional program after completing one semester of study in their initial program.

Students must submit the Petition to Apply for Concurrent Degree to their current program chair for approval prior to applying for an additional graduate program. It is recommended that the petition be submitted at least two weeks prior to the program’s admission deadline. The petition is located on the Graduate Division website at

Upon approval from the graduate chair, the student submits the approved petition, a new graduate admissions application, and the application fee to the Graduate Student Services Office. Approval of this petition only grants permission to apply and does not imply admission.

Approval is not required to apply to official dual degrees or to graduate certificate programs. Duplicate Masters and Doctoral degrees in the same field are not permitted. In addition, concurrent doctoral degrees are not allowed. To consider an additional degree in the same field, the course work must be different in its entirety and it must represent of a unique body of knowledge that is required. Relatedly, each dissertation, thesis, or project must be distinct enough from the first degree and cannot incorporate parts of the previously written work. Concurrent doctorates are not permitted and multiple doctoral degrees are generally not permitted. If approved, each degree must be distinct, and representing a unique body of knowledge. Each dissertation must be distinct and not incorporate parts of a previous dissertation.

Concurrent Graduate Certificates

Current UH Manoa graduate students who wish to pursue an additional graduate certificate concurrently are required to apply directly to the Graduate Student Services Office. The Concurrent Graduate Certificate Program application can be downloaded from the Graduate Division website at The application and application fee must be submitted to the Graduate Student Services Office, 2540 Maile Way, Spalding 353B, Honolulu, HI 96822.

English Language Institute

International and immigrant students admitted to UH Manoa whose native language is not English may be referred to the English Language Institute to determine if they must take the ELI placement examinations. If a student does not fulfill this obligation, ELI will place a hold on the student’s registration. Please refer to the “English as a Second Language” section within the Colleges of Arts and Sciences for additional information.

Standardized Examinations

Standardized test application forms are available at the Counseling and Student Development Center, (808) 956-3454. Out-of-state students and applicants from international countries should write to the address designated for each examination (see pertinent section).

Individuals with visual, physical, hearing, or learning disabilities who are required to take either the GRE or GMAT should contact the Educational Testing Service for information regarding special arrangements to take these examinations.

Graduate Record Examination

The GRE and subtests may be required by some graduate programs and recommended by others. For the requirements of the individual graduate programs, consult the relevant graduate program descriptions in this Catalog. The GRE General Test (Package 1) is also required by Graduate Division for students who have completed 25 percent or more of their undergraduate work at a U.S. institution under a nontraditional grading system. Test information is available through the Counseling and Student Development Center, (808) 956-3454. Applicants may request test registration forms directly from Graduate Record Examinations, Educational Testing Service (ETS), Box 6000, Princeton, NJ 08541-6000, web: Submit completed registration forms and test fees to ETS at least one month before the examination date.

Evidence of English Language Proficiency

Applicants whose native language is not English must submit official Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic Modules test results. The TOEFL score report and IELTS test results must be from a test taken within the last 2 years. A minimum TOEFL score of 500/61 (paper/internet) or IELTS overall band test result of 6.00 is required. Many programs require higher scores. The minimum score for teaching assistantship applicants is 600/100 for TOEFL and 7.00 for the IELTS.

Applicants who have completed a bachelor’s or advanced degree program within the last five years at a regionally accredited/recognized institution in the U.S., Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, Singapore, or United Kingdom need not submit English language proficiency test scores.

Final admission requires submission of the official TOEFL/IELTS results. Applicants should, therefore, obtain the TOEFL Bulletin of Information early to check on the availability of the test and should take the test in time to meet graduate admissions application deadlines.

The TOEFL is administered at centers throughout the world. Applicants who wish to take the TOEFL outside the U.S. should obtain the TOEFL Bulletin of Information for Candidates, International Edition. This bulletin is generally available at U.S. embassies and consulates and at binational educational commissions and consulates abroad. Applicants may also order a bulletin directly from the representative who serves the area or country in which they plan to take the test. For complete information about the TOEFL, visit

International English Language Testing System (IELTS)

Applicants should contact the nearest British Council/Embassy/Consulate or IDP Education Australia Office in their country for the nearest testing center. It is advised that you also check the IELTS website for the most up-to-date information for testing centers. Web:

Additional Requirements and Information


Newly accepted students who do not register in the program during the semester for which they are admitted or who withdraw from all courses within the designated withdrawal period (see the “Calendar” for designated withdrawal dates) are considered no-shows and their admission status is rendered invalid. A new application is required for readmission consideration.

Change in Graduate Program

Applicants for a change in program are considered in competition with all other applicants to the new field. East-West Center students must consult their program officer before initiating any changes in graduate programs. The applicant must submit a Graduate Admissions application along with all documentation required by the new program (letters of recommendation, transcripts, test scores, etc.) to the Graduate Student Services Office within the standard admission deadlines for the graduate program. [If a change is granted, it becomes effective in the following semester contingent upon receipt of the Statement of Intention to Register (SIR) form.]

Students who are admitted to a new program are considered to be withdrawing from their current program. A student may return to the current graduate program only by petition to, and approval of, the graduate program and Graduate Division.


Classified graduate students who wish to re-enroll after a lapse in enrollment of one or more semesters must apply for readmission. The readmission application form is found at: The following documents must be submitted to the Graduate Student Services Office by the established deadlines:

  1. Application form;
  2. Application fee;
  3. Confidential Financial Statement for International Applicants (if applicable);
  4. Transcripts reflecting any studies since last admission to the UH Manoa Graduate Division; and
  5. Any other material requested by the graduate program (e.g., current test scores).

Students who are readmitted will be subject to the degree requirements in effect at the time of readmission.

Document Retention

Applications and supporting documents in the following categories are retained by the Graduate Student Services Office for limited periods as indicated:

  • Incomplete applications–two years.
  • Applications with no action taken by graduate program; denials (those denied admission); no-shows (those not enrolled in the semester of admission); transcripts and test scores (TOEFL scores, master file of GRE scores)–two years.
  • Academic records of graduated students–five years.
  • Academic records of inactive students–seven years.

Classification of Students

Only students who have been admitted to an advanced degree, certificate program, or special non-degree program by Graduate Division are designated as classified (regular or special non-degree) graduate students.

Regular Graduate Student

An applicant will be eligible for admission as a “regular” classified graduate student if he or she has the following:

  1. A GPA of 3.0 or better in the last four semesters or approximately 60 semester credits (or the equivalent in quarter credits) of work as an undergraduate;
  2. A master’s degree with a GPA of 3.0 or better; or
  3. A GPA of 3.0 or better in at least 12 credit hours of relevant upper division and/or graduate-level post-baccalaureate work.

Students who have taken courses after receiving a bachelor’s degree and whose GPA for 12 or more credit hours of upper division and/or graduate-level post-baccalaureate work is below 3.0 are not generally admissible even if they meet the minimum GPA requirements in category 1. International students with a GPA of less than a B average in their undergraduate work and/or less than a B average in 12 credit hours of post-baccalaureate work are generally not admissible.

Students whose bachelor’s and/or master’s degrees were incomplete at the time they filed applications for admission are “conditionally admitted” graduate students. They must submit an official transcript certifying completion of their degree to the Graduate Student Services Office. This must be submitted within 60 days after the award of the degree. Registration will be denied for the following semester to those who fail to meet this requirement.

Post-Baccalaureate Unclassified (PBU) Students

International applicants on an F-1 Student VISA are not eligible to apply. Interested students wanting to take classes as an unclassified student at UH Manoa must submit an online application, application fee, and an official transcript verifying degree conferral of a bachelor’s degree or advanced degree, from a regionally accredited U.S. college or university or its equivalent from a recognized foreign institution of higher learning. Applicants who are not international students but received their bachelor’s degree from a foreign institution are also required to submit official Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic Modules test results. Applicants may download the PBU application from the Graduate Division website at or complete the graduate online application and select Post-Baccalaureate Unclassified as their intended program. Admission as an unclassified post-baccalaureate student does not constitute admissions as a classified student, nor does it guarantee future admissions as a classified student to a degree program. PBU students may not be eligible for certain benefits and services such as Veterans Affairs benefits, social security benefits, some types of federal financial aid, etc. PBU students are subject to graduate tuition rates. PBU students will need approval to take 600-800 level courses at UH Manoa.

Summer Session

Students who take course work at the graduate level in a summer session but who have not been admitted to an advanced degree program at UH Manoa register as post-baccalaureate unclassified students. However, appropriate but limited credit hours earned from summer session courses while in unclassified status prior to admission to Graduate Division are countable toward an advanced degree at the recommendation of the graduate programs involved. See “Post-Baccalaureate Unclassified Students” above.

Application for admission to a summer session should be made to Outreach College, University of Hawai ‘i at Manoa, 2440 Campus Road, Box 447, Honolulu, HI 96822. Admission to a summer session does not imply or guarantee eventual admission to Graduate Division.


Regular Registration

Information on registration procedures is contained with the Office of the Registrar at, which includes registration dates and instructions. The listing of course offerings with up-to-date class location and meeting times is found at the Class Availability website:

Late Registration

Students may register for credit hours through the last day of registration. There is a fee for late registration.

The late registration period is also the final time for classified graduate students to register to audit graduate courses, in accordance with the procedures outlined under “Course Auditing.”

Course Auditing

Classified graduate students may audit courses with the consent of the instructor. An audit approval form, available in the graduate program department office, must be completed and presented for registration. Audit courses are entered on student transcripts with a grade of L and are included in the tuition calculation. Audit courses may not be used for purposes of determining full-time or part-time enrollment status or graduate assistantship eligibility.

Course Changes

Refer to the Office of the Registrar for complete information regarding procedures for course changes.

Withdrawal from Courses

Refer to the Office of the Registrar for complete information regarding procedures for withdrawal from courses.

Complete Withdrawal

To withdraw from all courses prior to the beginning of classes, students should consult with the department and follow directions found in the Office of the Registrar.

Continuing students who withdraw from all courses after classes begin must obtain a Complete Withdrawal Form from the Graduate Student Services Office, obtain the necessary signatures as indicated on the form, and turn in the completed form to the UH Manoa Cashier’s Office, Queen Lili‘uokalani Center for Student Services 105. A semester in which a cancellation or withdrawal is made is considered a semester of nonattendance. Thus, students must petition for readmission or file a renewal application, whichever is appropriate, to return to their studies in the same program. Petitions for readmission and renewal applications are considered along with all new applications for that semester. Students who are readmitted will be subject to the degree requirements in effect at the time of readmission.

Newly admitted students who cancel or withdraw from all courses before the drop period ends (see the Office of the Registrar for the date) are considered “no shows,” and their admission status becomes invalid. To return, they must reapply for admission. Newly admitted students who withdraw after the drop period (see the Office of the Registrar for the date) must complete a Petition for Readmission form if they wish to return the following semester. Petitions for readmission are considered along with all new applications for admission for that semester. Students who are readmitted will be subject to the degree requirements in effect at the time of readmission.

Automatic Withdrawal

Faculty will verify attendance of students registered in their courses by the end of the first week of each semester. Students who fail to attend class (“no show”) will be dropped from that class and will have their financial aid recalculated accordingly.

Retroactive Withdrawals

Retroactive withdrawals are partial or complete course withdrawals processed after the semester has ended. UH Manoa is obligated to ensure the integrity of the transcript as an historical document, which must reflect the actual history of a student’s experience at UH Manoa. Because of this, the student who is requesting a retroactive withdrawal will need to present a convincing case and provide relevant documentation that supports the existence of circumstances beyond their control that prevented them from initiating the withdrawal request in a timely manner. Any request after two years of the course ending will not be reviewed. Should a retroactive withdrawal be approved, the action will result in the grade being changed to a W. Tuition refunds will not be considered and any academic action applied for that semester will remain on the student’s record. Students who were financial aid recipients during the semester in which they are seeking a withdrawal should check with Financial Aid Services to determine if this will result in a financial obligation or will result in future ineligibility for financial aid.

Failure to Withdraw

If students cease to attend classes without officially withdrawing, they will receive final grades at the instructors’ discretion. If the instructor does not award a grade, an F or NC will be assigned.

Denial of Registration

Graduate Education will deny further registration to any student whose course work is below the required level or who is not making satisfactory academic progress.

Enrollment Requirements

Continuing Enrollment

After admission, students must be enrolled at UH Manoa every fall and spring semester for course work, thesis, dissertation, or research credit. Students graduating in summer must be enrolled in at least one session. Students who are neither enrolled nor on approved leaves of absence will be regarded as withdrawn from their degree programs. They will be required to apply for readmission in accordance with established regulations if they wish to resume their studies.

Leave of Absence

A leave of absence for a period of time no longer than one calendar year may be granted to currently enrolled students in good standing (minimum GPA of 3.0) after (1) completion of at least one semester of course work relevant to the degree as a classified graduate student, and (2) upon recommendation of the chair of the graduate program and approval by Graduate Division. The date of return from a leave must be set at the time the leave is requested. Forms are available on the website.

Students must withdraw from courses if requesting a leave of absence. Students not returning from leave on time will be required to petition for readmission to UH Manoa in accordance with the established regulations. Students who are readmitted will be subject to the degree requirements in effect at the time of readmission.

Students on approved leave do not pay tuition or fees. No leave should be requested if the student will be using UH Manoa facilities or faculty or staff services. Time on approved leave is not counted against the seven-year limit for completion of degree programs.

Students on probation are not granted an approved leave of absence.

Credit Hours

One (1) credit hour over a standard 15-week semester is equivalent to:

  • One semester hour of direct instruction and two hours of out-of-class work, which may include reading, writing, and course-related assignments. (For example, a three-credit course will require three (3) semester hours of direct instruction (contact hours), and six (6) hours of out-of-class work per week.); or
  • Three semester hours of nontraditional course work, which may include laboratory work, internship, practicum, studio work, independent study, fieldwork, online and hybrid-delivered courses. (For example, a three-credit nontraditional course will require nine (9) semester hours of course work and/or direct instruction per week.)

Courses offered during Summer Sessions, Extension Semesters, and in other accelerated formats are prorated so that classes have the equivalent number of semester hours as if the course were scheduled during a regular 15-week semester.

Course Loads

Sixteen credit hours in a semester and 8 credit hours in a six-week summer session are considered maximum course loads and may be exceeded only with the approval of the graduate chair and Graduate Division. The minimum full-time load for graduate students is 8 credit hours of course work. Courses taken for audit do not count toward determining full- or part-time enrollment status.

Eligible doctoral candidates may be considered as carrying a full academic load (full-time status) when enrolled for 1 credit hour of Dissertation 800.

Eligible master’s candidates may be considered as carrying a full academic load (full-time status) when enrolled for 1 credit hour of Thesis 700F after completing all required credits for the graduate degree including the program’s requirements for Thesis 700.

For graduate assistants, the full-time load is 6 credit hours of course work relevant to their degree. Audit hours do not count toward the minimum. Because their duties ordinarily require 20 hours per week, they are restricted to a maximum of 9 credit hours. However, with special permission from the graduate chair and Graduate Division, graduate assistants may register for 12 credit hours, including audits.

Variable Credit Courses

The number of credit hours obtainable in most courses is stated in this Catalog. Certain courses, designated (V) in Catalog course listings, offer variable credit. Students in these courses usually pursue individual work. The number of credit hours a student will earn in such a course must be approved by the instructor at the time of registration. Students must register for a definite number of credit hours and may earn no more or less than the stated number.

Graduate Credit for Seniors

Seniors at UH may earn credit toward an advanced degree for some courses completed during their last semester as undergraduates provided (1) the courses taken are in excess of the requirement for the bachelor’s degree, and (2) such courses fulfill requirements in the prospective graduate field. A Petition for Submission of Credit Toward an Advanced Degree for Courses Taken by an Undergraduate form is available at the Graduate Student Services Office, Spalding 353B and on the web. It must be approved by the academic advisor, the college dean, and the chair of the department in which the course is offered, and it must be filed with the Graduate Student Services Office during the registration period. The granting of such permission does not guarantee that the credit hours taken will be accepted by a graduate program as fulfilling degree requirements. Courses taken under this rule are counted in the graduate GPA at the time of graduation. Failure to complete the baccalaureate degree as scheduled nullifies any approval granted by Graduate Division.

Credit by Examination

Graduate students may obtain credit by examination in courses numbered 300-498 (excluding 399) with the approval of the chair of the graduate program, the instructor concerned, and Graduate Division, subject to general UH regulations and procedures. There is no limit on the number of examinations that a graduate student may take during any one semester. Credit may not be obtained by examination in courses numbered 600 or above.

Extension and Correspondence Course Credits

No graduate credit is allowed for extension and correspondence courses.

Undergraduate Deficiencies

Undergraduate deficiencies are courses required by a graduate program, prerequisites, or other requirements for admission that the student did not complete prior to admission. Courses in directed research/reading are not to be used to make up deficiencies.

Transfer of Credits

Credits from institutions other than UH Manoa or taken as a post-baccalaureate unclassified (PBU) at UH Manoa can be considered for transfer upon submission of (1) a memo approved by the chair of the graduate program, or (2) the Petition to Transfer/Substitute Credits form, which is available on the web.

Courses being considered from institutions other than UH Manoa must be accompanied by an official transcript, transcript guide, and course syllabus if substituting for a required course.

Doctoral students may not transfer credits. Graduate certificate students may transfer six UH Manoa PBU credits.

Policy Governing Transfer of Credits from Other Institutions

  1. The request for transfer of credit hours must be made during the first semester the student is enrolled in the program.
  2.  Only credit hours from an accredited university are transferable.
  3. Regardless of the number of credits transferred, more than half of the total number of credits used to fulfill master’s degree requirements must be earned at UH Manoa while enrolled as a graduate student. For example, if the master’s degree requires 30 credits total, 16 or more credits must be earned at UH Manoa while enrolled as a graduate student.
  4. With approval from the graduate program and Graduate Division, up to 6 credit hours of work completed at another accredited institution following advancement to candidacy at UH Manoa may be transferred, providing such transfer does not exceed the maximum allowable.
  5. Credit hours used to obtain a previous degree will not be transferred.
  6.  No credit hours may be transferred from another institution unless the grade is B- or better. Course grades of S, CR, and P are not transferable.
  7. Credit hours to be transferred must have been completed within seven years preceding the date upon which the advanced degree is to be conferred by UH Manoa.
  8. Quarter credit hours are converted to semester hours by using this formula: 2/3 times number of quarter credit hours equals number of semester credit hours (rounding off to the lower whole number). Conversion is done by the Graduate Student Services Office and is calculated for the total credit hours requested for transfer rather than for individual course credit hours.
  9. Credit hours earned in international institutions must be certified by the departments as to the equivalent level of the courses being transferred (i.e., whether 300-398, 400-498, or 600-798 level).
  10. The minimum residence requirement of full-time study must be upheld regardless of the number of credit hours transferred to UH Manoa.
  11. Transfer of courses to meet practicum, seminar, thesis, or dissertation requirements is not permitted.
  12. Extension credits from other universities are not transferable.
  13. Directed reading/directed research credits (x99) are not transferable.
  14. Transfer credits are not included in GPA calculations except for the final calculations when the student graduates.

If the petition is approved, the units (or UH Manoa equivalent) will be counted as part of the student’s degree program.

Double Counting

A student who pursues two distinct master’s degrees at UH Manoa, either simultaneously or consecutively, may apply to have up to 6 credit hours of graduate course work accepted for credit in both degree programs under the following provisions:

  1. The courses being double counted are electives in both programs;
  2. Written approval of the graduate chairs of both programs (only approval by the second chair is required if the degrees are being pursued sequentially) and Graduate Division is obtained; and
  3. The course work for each degree is completed within the prescribed time limits.

Dual Degree

A student in a UH Manoa-approved “dual degree” program who fails to meet the academic requirements specified for that program will be dismissed from the dual degree program and Graduate Division.


The schedule of final examinations is available at undergrad/schedule/. No examinations (other than laboratory tests and short quizzes) are allowed during the two weeks prior to the final examination period.


Student achievement is designated by: A+, A, A- (high achievement), B+, B, B- (meets expectations), C+, C, C-, (below expectations), D+, D, D- (inadequate performance), F (failure), CR (credit), NC (no credit), NG (no grade and work in progress), S (satisfactory), and I (incomplete). L is the designation given to audited courses. Grades lower than C may not be used to fulfill requirements for advanced degrees.

An I is given to students who fail to complete a small but important part of a semester’s work before the semester grades are determined, if the instructor believes that the failure was caused by conditions beyond the student’s control and not by carelessness and procrastination. Students are expected to complete all courses. Therefore, students receiving an I should contact the instructor to determine the steps to be taken to remove the I. The deadline for removing an I received in the fall semester is the following April 1; for removing an I received in the spring semester or the summer session, the deadline is the following November 1.

Instructors who record a grade of I for undergraduate courses (100-499) must also record the grade that will replace the I if the work is not made up by the deadline; that grade is computed on the basis of what grades or other evidence the instructors have, averaged together with Fs for all incomplete work (including the final examination, if it is not taken). This alternate grade may be the appropriate letter grade, or if the course was taken under credit/no credit (CR/NC). (The designation W cannot be used as an alternate grade.)

Instructors who record a grade of I for graduate courses (600-799, excluding 700) have the option of recording an alternate grade to replace the I if the work is not made up by the deadline. This includes courses taken for letter grade or for CR/NC. If the instructor chooses to record an incomplete for a graduate course with no alternate grade, the instructor may (1) allow the grade of I to remain permanently unaltered on the student’s record; (2) submit to the Office of the Registrar a Change of Grade form, with the grade computed on the basis of work completed by the deadline noted above; (3) after the deadline for removing the I, at the student’s request submit a Change of Grade form to the Graduate Student Services Office requesting a conversion of the I to a grade. Such conversions may be permitted on a case-by-case basis only during the two semesters immediately following the semester in which the I was received. After that period, the I will be permanent.

If work for a course in which an I has been assigned is completed prior to the deadline, the instructor will report a change of grade, taking the completed work into consideration. A grade of F or NC, as appropriate, will be assigned in those cases where an instructor has not assigned a grade to a student who has never attended or has ceased to attend class without officially withdrawing.

Change of Grades

Grades may be changed only within one full academic year following the end of the semester in which the course was completed. To change a grade, the course instructor completes and submits a Change of Grade form to the Graduate Student Services Office. The instructor must state the reason for the grade change on the form and sign the form. “Additional work submitted” is not an acceptable reason for changing a grade.

Repeated Courses

Solely for the purpose of graduate academic actions in the computing of the GPA of students who retake a course that is otherwise non-repeatable, only the most recent grade will be included.

Students switching from either Plan A or Plan B to Plan C must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 in all courses completed (300-398, 400-498, 600-798). Credit hours taken under the credit/no credit option (except 699) while under Plan C will not be counted toward degree requirements for either Plan A or Plan B.

Credit/No Credit Option

The major purpose of the credit/no credit option is to encourage students to broaden their education by venturing into subject areas outside their fields of specialization without hazarding a relatively low grade. Under the option, students receive grades of CR (credit) or NC (no credit). These do not carry grade points and, therefore, are not computed in the student’s GPA.

The option must be exercised at the time of registration and only under the following conditions:

  1. Except as noted, courses taken under the CR/NC option may not be applied toward the requirements for the master’s degree. Only 699 directed reading/research courses may be taken on CR/NC at the option of the graduate program and may be granted credit toward a master’s degree within the limits already prescribed by Graduate Division (see master’s degree requirements, Plan A and Plan B).
  2. A course for which a grade of NC is received may be retaken under the CR/NC option.
  3. The CR designation in the non-letter grade system denotes C caliber work or better.
  4. The NC designation and the course in which it is received will appear in official records as part of the student’s academic history.
  5. The NC designation affects neither the credit hour total nor the grade point total of the student.

Requirements for Continued Registration

Satisfactory Progress

To remain eligible for further graduate work and to be awarded a graduate degree, students must maintain progress towards completion of their programs and must have a B average (3.0 GPA) for all courses completed at UH Manoa applicable to the degree. Students must also have a B average for all courses taken as a classified graduate student and for all graduate courses numbered 600 and above.

Graduate Division disregards grades or credit hours for courses numbered 100-198, 200-298, 399, and 499, except those required to fulfill undergraduate deficiencies.

Satisfactory academic progress in a program also involves maintaining the academic and professional standards expected in a particular discipline or program; failure to maintain these standards may result in termination of student’s admission to the program.

Fulfillment of Credit Hour Requirements

Credit hour requirements for graduate degrees can only be fulfilled by grades of A, B, and C. Grades of A, B, C, and CR can be used to make up undergraduate deficiencies. Grades of CR for 699 directed reading or research courses are counted in credit hour requirements within stated rules but are not computed for GPAs. Grades of NC are neither counted nor computed. Grades of D and F are not counted toward the completion of requirements for advanced degrees but are computed in the GPA, along with grades for all courses taken to satisfy undergraduate deficiencies and courses counted toward advanced degrees.

Probation and Dismissal

A regular student whose cumulative GPA fails to meet the minimum requirements after completing at least 8 credit hours of course work will be placed on academic probation for the following semester. The student must be registered in the semester he or she is placed on probation.

If admitted by exception for GPA since admission fails to meet the minimum requirements after completing one semester of course work, the student will be placed on academic probation for the following semester. (ESL students are subject to dismissal.)

All grades for courses taken during the probationary semester, as well as the grades for all previously taken classified credits, will be included in calculating the GPA at the end of the probationary semester. No extensions of the probationary semester may be granted due to incompletes I.

A student on academic probation who fails to attain the minimum standards at the end of the probationary semester will be denied further registration in that program.

For purposes of these rules, a “semester” is the calendar period, regardless of the number of credit hours taken.

For students pursuing approved concurrent graduate degree programs, the requirements stated above are applicable to both programs but will be applied toward each program independently.

Policy on Reinstatement after Dismissal

To be reinstated to the same program after academic dismissal, the student must submit completed readmission forms to the Graduate Student Services Office and meet the standard admission criteria applicable to the graduate program. The graduate program must submit a petition to Graduate Division on the student’s behalf, providing strong justification for the action. If reinstated, all courses applicable to the degree are subject to the seven year rule (i.e., must be completed within seven years of the date the degree is to be awarded) and the student will be subject to the degree requirements in effect at the time of reinstatement.

To be admitted to a new program after academic dismissal or voluntary withdrawal, the student must submit a new application to the Graduate Student Services Office and meet the standard admission criteria applicable to the graduate program. Such students will be treated like new students.

Policy on Disciplinary Suspension

To be reinstated to the same program after suspension for disciplinary reasons, the student must submit completed readmission forms to the Graduate Student Services Office and meet the standard admission criteria applicable to the graduate program. Students suspended for disciplinary reasons must adhere to posted application deadlines and may not be re-admitted mid-semester.


The Graduate Application for Degree form must be filed at the beginning of the semester (see the “Calendar” for dates and deadlines) in which the student expects to complete the degree requirements. Students can also obtain a Hawaiian language version of their degree. Application forms may be obtained at the Graduate Student Services Office, and the fee paid at the Cashier’s Office or online through the student’s MyUH account.

Degree Checks

A degree check will be made for all students who file a degree application form.

Graduate Division may delete from the graduation list the name of any student whose final grade report contains either a grade of I (incomplete) or a missing grade, or whose records have any other discrepancies.

Conferring of Degrees

Degrees are conferred and diplomas awarded three times annually, in December, May, and August. Students completing their degree requirements may, upon request, receive certification from Graduate Student Services Office that the degree will be conferred at the end of the appropriate semester. Diplomas are issued by the Office of the Registrar. Inquiries regarding diplomas should be addressed to the Office of the Registrar, Queen Lili‘uokalani Center for Student Services, Room 010, 2600 Campus Road, Honolulu, HI 96822 [tel. (808) 956-8010], and not to Graduate Student Services.


Transcripts may be obtained from the Office of the Registrar.