Southeast Asia: Indonesia
Office: Sakamaki B202
Phone: (808) 956-6764
BA Yale, 1965; MA, PhD Cornell, 1969, 1971
Early modern history of Southeast Asia, particularly of Malaysia, Indonesia, the southern Philippines, and southern Thailand. At the moment, I am working on the history of eastern Indonesia by tracing the interlocking networks of economic, ritual, and religious networks in an area from Lombok eastward to the Birdshead.
BA in History, Yale University; MA, PhD in Southeast Asian history, Cornell University. Taught or held research positions at the University of Malaya, the Australian National University, and Auckland University prior to coming to Hawaiʻi.
History of Southeast Asia (undergraduate), Senior Tutorial in History (Asia/Pacific, undergraduate); History of Malaysia (undergraduate); History of Indonesia (undergraduate); History of Islamic Southeast Asia (undergraduate); Historiography of Southeast Asia (graduate); The Seas in Southeast Asian history (graduate).
- The Kingdom of Johor (1975)
- The Heritage of Arung Palakka: History of South Sulawesi (Celebes) in the Seventeenth Century (1981),
- A History of Malaysia (with Barbara Watson Andaya, 1982, revised edition, 2000)
- The World of Maluku: Eastern Indonesia in the Early Modern Period (1993)
- Leaves of the Same Tree: Trade and Ethnicity in the Straits of Melaka (2008)
- A History of Early Modern Southeast Asia, 1400-1830 (with Barbara Watson Andaya, 2015)