History of the Mānoa Sophomore Experience
MSE Events & Services
- Panel series featuring current UHM students, current UHM faculty, and recently graduated UHM alumni
- Peer mentoring (individual appointments)
- “Success Tips” online resource
- Referral services
Research Basis for the MSE
The MSE program at UHM has developed in support of the university’s strategic plan to improve retention and through an examination of literature on sophomore related programming and best practices at universities across the nation. The following bibliography and links are provided for those interested in more information on sophomore literature and programming.
- Sophomore Slump Sneaks Up on Students Jessica Feinstein
- National Resource Center for the Sophomore Year
- Emory University Sophomore Year Web Site The Sophomore Slump
- Office of the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs Assessment
- University of Hawaii Retention Assessment, Teresa Farnum, 2006
- Lipka, S. (2006). After the Freshman Bubble Pops, Chronicle of Higher Education, Vol. 53 (3), p42.
- “I’m Not New Anymore, But I still Feel Lost!” Powerpoint Presentation by Gansemer-Topf & Stern, Grinnell College”
- Sophomores: The Struggles of the ‘Middle Children’ of College“, Maggitti, S.