Sakamaki C303: 956-6081
BA 1956, National Taiwan University
MA 1958, University of Washington
PhD 1964, Harvard University
Professor Cheng’s chief research interests are in five areas: Chinese logic, the I Ching and the origins of Chinese philosophy, Confucian and Neo-Confucian Philosophy, the onto-hermeneutics of Eastern and Western philosophy, and Chan (Zen) philosophy. Recently he has worked on the philosophy of c-management and Confucian Bio-Ethics as they relate to the Chinese tradition, and on how Chinese culture fits into world culture. Professor Cheng serves as Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Chinese Philosophy.
- Phil 370 Chinese Philosophy
- Phil 406 Intro. to Chan (Zen) Buddhist Philosophy
- Phil 607 East Asian Philosophy
- Phil 671 Neo-Confucianism
- Phil 770 Seminar in Chinese Philosophy
- JOURNAL OF CHINESE PHILOSOPHY, Chung-ying Cheng as Editor-in-Chief, published by Blackwell Publishers, Melden and Oxford. Quarterly, new editions from 2000, 2001 and up to date.
- Contemporary Chinese Philosophy, edited by me with Nicholas Bunnin. Preface and Long Section on Afterwords by me. Malden and Oxford: Blackwell Publishing, 2002. 429 pages.
- Treatise on Confucian Philosophy: The Way of Uniting the Outer and the Inner, Beijing: China Social Scienes Publishers, 2001, 431 pages.
- Ontology and Interpretation, (in Chinese), Beijing: Sanlian Publishers, 2000. 382 pages. C Theory: Chinese Philosophy of Management>> (in Chinese), Shanghai: Xueling Publishers, 1999. 458 pages
- Light of Wisdom: The Contemporary Application of Chinese Management Philosophy (Ed. w/Zhou Hanguang). Shanghai: Chinese Textile University Press, 1997.
- “Transforming Confucian Virtues into Human Rights: A Study of Human Agency and Potency in Confucian Ethics” in Wm deBary (Ed.) Confucianism and Human Rights. New York: Columbia University Press, 1997.
- C lilun: Yijing guanli zhexue. [C Theory: The Yijing philosopy of management].Taibei: Dongda Tushu Chubanshe, 1995.
- Wenhua, lilun yu guanli: Zhongguo xiandaihua de zhexue xingsi. [Culture, Ethics, and the Philosophy of Management]. Guiyang: Guizhou Renmin Chubanshe, 1991.
- Shiji zhi jiao de jueze: Lun Zhong-Xi zhexue zhong de huitong yu ronghe. [Choice at the Turn of a New Century: On the Interflux and Integration of Chinese and Western Philosophy]. Shanghai: Zhishi Chubanshe, 1991.
- The Distribution of Power and Rewards: Selected Essays from the Conference on Democracy and Social Justice East and West (Co-ed. w/James Hsiung). Washington, DC: University Press of America, 1991.
- New Dimensions of Confucian & Neo-Confucian Philosophy, Albany: New York University Press, 1991.