Reflections from the International Environmental Moot Court Team

From left to right: Xiao Yi Zhao, Nicole Harrison, and Alyssa Neri

In April 2024, Hawaiʻi law students Nicole Harrison, Alyssa Neri, and Xiao Yi Zhao represented the University of Hawaiʻi William S. Richardson School of Law in the 28th Annual Stetson International Environmental Moot Court Competition. Associate Professor and ELP Co-Director, Richard Wallsgrove ʻ08, coached the team. This year’s theme was “Mountain Gorillas and Impact Assessment” and involved a fictional case involving protections for endangered gorilla populations.

Richardson joined twenty-nine teams from across the world in Gulfport, Florida. Nicole said, “We had a great time meeting people from around the world and getting to see how they zealously advocate. I can now say I have friends from Ireland, the UK, India, Pakistan, Singapore, Colombia, and Brazil!” 

The team started preparing in January. Reflecting on the team’s hard work, Xiao Yi shared, “A lot of time was committed to researching near the beginning of the process, and then we spent more time dedicated to practicing once we submitted our memo. Like any skill in life, continuous practice helps you hone that skill.” 

Competitors from twenty-nine teams gather for a photo with judges and a gorilla.

Participating in the moot court is a valuable experience for law students. “I would recommend this opportunity to anyone,” shared Alyssa, “It was hard and a big commitment, but it was worth it if you want to do better as a speaker. It is also the only experience I have had in law school where I had to craft and memorize a convincing argument and I think that is invaluable regardless of your career path. I started out having always avoided any public speaking events, so I was very nervous to begin with. By the last practice, there was an immense difference in my level of comfort in front of a podium and by the time we competed I didn’t feel myself being nervous or worried.”

The team is grateful to the Richardson community for their support, which helped them prepare for the event. “We had excellent practices leading up to the competition with practice judges from the National Environmental Moot Court Team, multiple professors from the school, former members of the team, members of the Jessup team, and some community partners of the school,” said Nicole. “Each practice we had, our practice judges gave great advice and tips on things to work on— from how we deliver certain lines to asking us questions we had not thought of before. I am so glad that we were able to pull on the knowledge of so many people to prepare us for the international finals.”

ELP had the privilege of hosting the North American Regional Rounds in February.

Xiao Yi and Nicole pose with Stetson University Professor Royal Gardner.

MTW