Guidelines for Filming and Photography at the University of Hawaiʻi

Thank you for your interest in filming at the University of Hawaiʻi. Our 10-campus system is comprised of educational and recreational facilities across six islands servicing more than 80,000 students in Hawaiʻi.

For convenience, the word "filming" applies to Motion Pictures, filming, videotaping, still photography and digital imaging. The guidelines below will assist you in your request. The guidelines apply to all campuses, including the Lyon Arboretum, Coconut Island and the Waikiki Aquarium.

The general guidelines which follow apply to most film requests. Exceptions include requests for filming at Mauna Kea and at Haleakala. The respective contacts for those locations are as follows:

Office of Mauna Kea Management
Contact: Dawn Pamarang
Phone: 808-933-0734

Haleakala–Institute for Astronomy
Contact: Director’s office
Phone: 808-956-8566

License Requirements

Filming on university property is permitted only if it does not interfere with normal university business and previously scheduled events.

A license to film on university property for commercial or non-news purposes must be obtained prior to filming. The issuing of a license is coordinated through the University of Hawaiʻi Broadcast/Film/Public Information Officer and the Office of Risk Management (ORM).

To begin the process, submit a film request application (111 KB PDF) to the Broadcast/Film/Public Officer. The application will be reviewed in conjunction with the appropriate campus or facility and work with the applicant to ensure university requirements are met prior to issuing the license.

The license is issued by the Office of Risk Management (ORM) once all conditions are met to the satisfaction of the university.

A minimum of 10 business days is normally required to properly consider any request and process required paperwork.

If you have any questions, please contact the officer by phone at 808-956-7520, by fax at 808-956-4153 or via email at