ʻAukake 22-26: Māhele 3 – Leka a Admirala de Tromelin iā “Monsieur le Consul”

August 22-26: Māhele 3 – Letter from Admiral de Tromelin to “Mr. the Consul”

Below are a few excerpts from a letter from Admiral de Tromelin to the Consul for Chile. In the letter, which is translated in The Polynesian, Tromelin apprises the Chilean consul that if Tromelin is not completely satisfied with the response from King Kauikeaouli, “it will only remain for me to reclaim by force, what I have demanded . . . . ” (The Polynesian, September 15, 1849, pg. 70). Tromelin continues, “In informing you, Mr. the Consul, of these dispositions, I ought to give you, here, the assurance that the French Republic has no view either to an occupation or a protectorate of the Hawaiian Archipelago, but only to a complete reparation. I shall give the necessary orders in order that, in the case of hostilities taking place, Chilean commerce and properties be respected, as ought to be those of a friendly nation.” Id.

Finally, Tromelin advises, “to carry these dispositions to the cognizance of your compatriots, that they may take, from to-day, the measures necessary to place themselves on their side, under cover (abri) from all the hazards which may result from the operations which I may be in the case of ordering against Honolulu.” Id. Below are a few snapshots from Tromelin’s letter.