Program: East Asian Lang & Lit: Chinese (PhD)
Date: Mon Oct 21, 2013 - 2:03:48 pm
1) Below are your program's student learning outcomes (SLOs). Please update as needed.
Ph.D. in Chinese Literature SLOs: 1. Demonstrate comprehensive knowledge of the history of Chinese literature and the relevant scholarship in the field of Chinese Literary Studies. 2. Be able to competently use and analyze sources written in Classical, early vernacular, and modern Mandarin, as well as evaluate them from an informed theoretical perspective. 3. Develop their field of scholarly expertise in the area of their concentration and be able to situate themselves within the critical field of Chinese Literary Studies. 4. Develop their own analytical and critical skills so as to be able to apply them to close textual readings of primary as well as secondary sources. 5. Be familiar with and able to use competently Chinese as well as Western theoretical literature, both modern and pre-modern. 6. Develop an interdisciplinary and cultural approach to the reading and teaching of literary texts. 7. Produce an original contribution to the scholarly discourse in their area of specialization. 8. Be able to handle professionally a conference talk or job interview.
2010: We deleted SLO # 8 because we did not feel we had sufficient evidence to assess this.
Ph.D. In Chinese langguage and linguistics SLOs (1) Demonstrate comprehensive knowledge about the field, especially in areas of their expertise and its connection of related areas of research (2) Evaluate the purposes, approaches, designs, and analyses of published research in areas of their expertise (3) Produce scholarly work at the level of quality adequate for publication (4) Establish membership in their field and develop their presence in that discipline (5) Design and teach graduate-level courses in the areas of their specialization (6) Handle a professional job interview and job talk
2) Your program's SLOs are published as follows. Please update as needed.
Student Handbook. URL, if available online:
Information Sheet, Flyer, or Brochure URL, if available online:
UHM Catalog. Page Number:
Course Syllabi. URL, if available online: NA
Other: will publish in our department website soon
3) Select one option:
- File (03/16/2020)
5) Did your program engage in any program assessment activities between June 1, 2012 and September 30, 2013? (e.g., establishing/revising outcomes, aligning the curriculum to outcomes, collecting evidence, interpreting evidence, using results, revising the assessment plan, creating surveys or tests, etc.)
No (skip to question 14)
6) For the period June 1, 2012 to September 30, 2013: State the assessment question(s) and/or assessment goals. Include the SLOs that were targeted, if applicable.
We examined student academic achievements which the Chinese language and linguistics SLOs are targeted. Particularly we are focusing on the following two SLOs: (3) Produce scholarly work at the level of quality adequate for publication (4) Establish membership in their field and develop their presence in that discipline.
7) State the type(s) of evidence gathered to answer the assessment question and/or meet the assessment goals that were given in Question #6.
We tracked students’ record of conference participation, abstract submission, presentation, and publication.
8) State how many persons submitted evidence that was evaluated. If applicable, please include the sampling technique used.
1 sample of student.
9) Who interpreted or analyzed the evidence that was collected? (Check all that apply.)
Ad hoc faculty group
Persons or organization outside the university
Advisors (in student support services)
Students (graduate or undergraduate)
Other: Chinese section head
10) How did they evaluate, analyze, or interpret the evidence? (Check all that apply.)
Used professional judgment (no rubric or scoring guide used)
Compiled survey results
Used qualitative methods on interview, focus group, open-ended response data
External organization/person analyzed data (e.g., external organization administered and scored the nursing licensing exam)
Other: Questionnaire survey
11) For the assessment question(s) and/or assessment goal(s) stated in Question #6:
Summarize the actual results.
We will not disclose the results due to the fact that there is only one student sample.
12) State how the program used the results or plans to use the results. Please be specific.
The current assessment provides insufficient information to evaluate student SLO in (1) and (2) and calls for development of rubrics to measure students’ academic achievements.
13) Beyond the results, were there additional conclusions or discoveries?
This can include insights about assessment procedures, teaching and learning, program aspects and so on.
We plan to develop criteria in rubrics for assessing PhD. oral defense presentation corresponding to SLOs in the current academic year.
14) If the program did not engage in assessment activities, please explain.
Or, if the program did engage in assessment activities, please add any other important information here.
After the developed rubrics for assessing PhD. student oral defense is approved, we will make the rubric online available for student to review and follow.