Program: Developmental & Reproductive Biology (MS)
Date: Fri Oct 04, 2013 - 12:31:50 pm
1) Below are your program's student learning outcomes (SLOs). Please update as needed.
- To train educators in Developmental & Reproductive Biology to carry out the health science education mission of the Manoa campus (including the medical school), the Hilo campus, our community colleges, and colleges throughout the Pacific basin and elsewhere
- To train researchers in Developmental & Reproductive Biology who will contribute to human welfare in Hawaii and elsewhere through the creation of new knowledge
- To provide a sound Developmental & Reproductive Biology background for persons who will work with the public in Hawaii and elsewhere in the medical science or basic science fields, or other capacities.
2) Your program's SLOs are published as follows. Please update as needed.
Student Handbook. URL, if available online: http://www3.jabsom.hawaii.edu/Grad_DRB/students.html
Information Sheet, Flyer, or Brochure URL, if available online: http://www3.jabsom.hawaii.edu/Grad_DRB/students.html
UHM Catalog. Page Number:
Course Syllabi. URL, if available online: http://www3.jabsom.hawaii.edu/Grad_DRB/students.html
3) Select one option:
- File (03/16/2020)
4) For your program, the percentage of courses that have course SLOs explicitly stated on the syllabus, a website, or other publicly available document is as follows. Please update as needed.
5) Did your program engage in any program assessment activities between June 1, 2012 and September 30, 2013? (e.g., establishing/revising outcomes, aligning the curriculum to outcomes, collecting evidence, interpreting evidence, using results, revising the assessment plan, creating surveys or tests, etc.)
No (skip to question 14)
6) For the period June 1, 2012 to September 30, 2013: State the assessment question(s) and/or assessment goals. Include the SLOs that were targeted, if applicable.
We collected student evalutations for three of our signature courses, DRB613, DRB614 and DRB601.
7) State the type(s) of evidence gathered to answer the assessment question and/or meet the assessment goals that were given in Question #6.
We asked the students questions about whether the material was relevant, whether the lecturer prepared their lectures well, whether they understood the material and how prepared they were for the material.
8) State how many persons submitted evidence that was evaluated. If applicable, please include the sampling technique used.
Two professors submitted evidence.
9) Who interpreted or analyzed the evidence that was collected? (Check all that apply.)
Ad hoc faculty group
Persons or organization outside the university
Advisors (in student support services)
Students (graduate or undergraduate)
10) How did they evaluate, analyze, or interpret the evidence? (Check all that apply.)
Used professional judgment (no rubric or scoring guide used)
Compiled survey results
Used qualitative methods on interview, focus group, open-ended response data
External organization/person analyzed data (e.g., external organization administered and scored the nursing licensing exam)
11) For the assessment question(s) and/or assessment goal(s) stated in Question #6:
Summarize the actual results.
For DRB613, the success on all the scores was 93%
For DRB614, the success was 87%
12) State how the program used the results or plans to use the results. Please be specific.
Since the reports were very good, we did not change our program.
13) Beyond the results, were there additional conclusions or discoveries?
This can include insights about assessment procedures, teaching and learning, program aspects and so on.
Our courses are now well tuned to the students. We are seeking improvements now in student enrollments, and are conducting a review of the first five years of our program to determine how we can improve our recruitment of high quality students.
14) If the program did not engage in assessment activities, please explain.
Or, if the program did engage in assessment activities, please add any other important information here.
I added information in question 13