Program: Tropical Plant Pathology (PhD)
Date: Thu Oct 03, 2013 - 1:19:34 pm
1) Below are your program's student learning outcomes (SLOs). Please update as needed.
TPP students communicate effectively.
TPP studentsc are competent and knowledgeable biologists.
TPP students conduct research in plant pathology.
2) Your program's SLOs are published as follows. Please update as needed.
Student Handbook. URL, if available online: http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/peps/tppgradhandbook/Graduate_handbook_home.html
Information Sheet, Flyer, or Brochure URL, if available online:
UHM Catalog. Page Number: 351-355
Course Syllabi. URL, if available online:
Other: With graduate chair
3) Select one option:
- File (03/16/2020)
4) For your program, the percentage of courses that have course SLOs explicitly stated on the syllabus, a website, or other publicly available document is as follows. Please update as needed.
5) Did your program engage in any program assessment activities between June 1, 2012 and September 30, 2013? (e.g., establishing/revising outcomes, aligning the curriculum to outcomes, collecting evidence, interpreting evidence, using results, revising the assessment plan, creating surveys or tests, etc.)
No (skip to question 14)
6) For the period June 1, 2012 to September 30, 2013: State the assessment question(s) and/or assessment goals. Include the SLOs that were targeted, if applicable.
7) State the type(s) of evidence gathered to answer the assessment question and/or meet the assessment goals that were given in Question #6.
8) State how many persons submitted evidence that was evaluated. If applicable, please include the sampling technique used.
This is not applicable this year.
9) Who interpreted or analyzed the evidence that was collected? (Check all that apply.)
Ad hoc faculty group
Persons or organization outside the university
Advisors (in student support services)
Students (graduate or undergraduate)
10) How did they evaluate, analyze, or interpret the evidence? (Check all that apply.)
Used professional judgment (no rubric or scoring guide used)
Compiled survey results
Used qualitative methods on interview, focus group, open-ended response data
External organization/person analyzed data (e.g., external organization administered and scored the nursing licensing exam)
11) For the assessment question(s) and/or assessment goal(s) stated in Question #6:
Summarize the actual results.
12) State how the program used the results or plans to use the results. Please be specific.
After assessing our SLO on competency and knowledgeable in biology and concluding that our curricular offerings require modification, we have engaged in discussion of course revisions. The current discussion is moving towards a 2-semester course sequence that would incorporate the principles of plant pathology overlaid upon concurrent laboratories focused on pathogen biology. This is a disruptive proposal and requiring time to garner buy-in from participating faculty members.
13) Beyond the results, were there additional conclusions or discoveries?
This can include insights about assessment procedures, teaching and learning, program aspects and so on.
14) If the program did not engage in assessment activities, please explain.
Or, if the program did engage in assessment activities, please add any other important information here.
We are addressing the needed course modification identified previously. Once completed, we will begin gathering new data on student success. We are also continuing to seek extramural support for instructional innovation that we have identified in our assessment.