Program: Developmental & Reproductive Biology (MS)
Date: Tue Oct 16, 2012 - 11:19:45 am
1) Below are your program's student learning outcomes (SLOs). Please update as needed.
- To train educators in Developmental & Reproductive Biology to carry out the health science education mission of the Manoa campus (including the medical school), the Hilo campus, our community colleges, and colleges throughout the Pacific basin and elsewhere
- To train researchers in Developmental & Reproductive Biology who will contribute to human welfare in Hawaii and elsewhere through the creation of new knowledge
- To provide a sound Developmental & Reproductive Biology background for persons who will work with the public in Hawaii and elsewhere in the medical science or basic science fields, or other capacities.
2) Your program's SLOs are published as follows. Please update as needed.
Student Handbook. URL, if available online: http://www3.jabsom.hawaii.edu/Grad_DRB/students.html
Information Sheet, Flyer, or Brochure URL, if available online: http://www3.jabsom.hawaii.edu/Grad_DRB/students.html
UHM Catalog. Page Number:
Course Syllabi. URL, if available online: http://www3.jabsom.hawaii.edu/Grad_DRB/students.html
3) Select one option:
- File (03/16/2020)
4) For your program, the percentage of courses that have course SLOs explicitly stated on the syllabus, a website, or other publicly available document is as follows. Please update as needed.
5) Did your program engage in any program assessment activities between June 1, 2011 and September 30, 2012? (e.g., establishing/revising outcomes, aligning the curriculum to outcomes, collecting evidence, interpreting evidence, using results, revising the assessment plan, creating surveys or tests, etc.)
No (skip to question 14)
6) For the period June 1, 2011 to September 30, 2012: State the assessment question(s) and/or assessment goals. Include the SLOs that were targeted, if applicable.
Our four main courses, DRB613, DRB614, DRB 601, and CMB 621 all have course assessments by the students. We have also begun tracking our GRE scores of all applicants and all accepted students.
7) State the type(s) of evidence gathered to answer the assessment question and/or meet the assessment goals that were given in Question #6.
Questionaires, and GRE Scores
8) State how many persons submitted evidence that was evaluated. If applicable, please include the sampling technique used.
Four different persons submitted the evidence.
9) Who interpreted or analyzed the evidence that was collected? (Check all that apply.)
Ad hoc faculty group
Persons or organization outside the university
Advisors (in student support services)
Students (graduate or undergraduate)
10) How did they evaluate, analyze, or interpret the evidence? (Check all that apply.)
Used professional judgment (no rubric or scoring guide used)
Compiled survey results
Used qualitative methods on interview, focus group, open-ended response data
External organization/person analyzed data (e.g., external organization administered and scored the nursing licensing exam)
11) For the assessment question(s) and/or assessment goal(s) stated in Question #6:
Summarize the actual results.
The courses are being taught well, as judged by the students.
We have had an increase in GRE scores in the past year from our applicants. We deem this as due to the website that we maintain. This is an imporant major goal for our program, in that we have been trying to change it from primarily one that offers only courses to one that focuses more on research. Our applicants have increasingly stated that one reason they apply to our program is that there are so few in the country that specialize in developmental and reproductive biology.
12) State how the program used the results or plans to use the results. Please be specific.
1. We decided to limit the number of students to those for whom we could find support. This lowered the number of students that we would normally accept.
2. Classes are generally taught well, so no changes were made.
13) Beyond the results, were there additional conclusions or discoveries?
This can include insights about assessment procedures, teaching and learning, program aspects and so on.
We significantly altered our review of external candidates. We formed a more structured committee, and increased the efficiency of processing our applications.
14) If the program did not engage in assessment activities, please explain.
Or, if the program did engage in assessment activities, please add any other important information here.
In our program, the assessment for the PhD and MS programs are essentially the same because they have the same coursework.