Program: Physics (MS, PhD)
Degree: Master's & Doctorate
Date: Sun Dec 05, 2010 - 4:57:39 pm
1) Below are the program student learning outcomes submitted last year. Please add/delete/modify as needed.
PHYSICS / STUDENT LEARNING OUTCOMES / Master’s and Doctorate
 Engage in advanced theoretical and experimental physics studies of core principles
 Establish expertise in focused areas of physical theory and experiment
 Exposure in current topics in theoretical and experimental physics in specific areas of physics research
 Produce directed study or original research in theoretical or experimental physics in a specific discipline
Student learning outcomes for individual courses are described in courses syllabi found on the departmental web site:
2) As of last year, your program's SLOs were published as follows. Please update as needed.
Student Handbook. URL, if available online:
Information Sheet, Flyer, or Brochure URL, if available online:
UHM Catalog. Page Number:
Course Syllabi. URL, if available online: http://www.phys.hawaii.edu/
3) Below is the link to your program's curriculum map (if submitted in 2009). If it has changed or if we do not have your program's curriculum map, please upload it as a PDF.
- File (03/16/2020)
4) The percentage of courses in 2009 that had course SLOs explicitly stated on the syllabus, a website, or other publicly available document is indicated below. Please update as needed.
5) State the assessment question(s) and/or goals of the assessment activity. Include the SLOs that were targeted, if applicable.
6) State the type(s) of evidence gathered.
7) Who interpreted or analyzed the evidence that was collected?
Ad hoc faculty group
Persons or organization outside the university
Advisors (in student support services)
Students (graduate or undergraduate)
8) How did they evaluate, analyze, or interpret the evidence?
Used professional judgment (no rubric or scoring guide used)
Compiled survey results
Used qualitative methods on interview, focus group, open-ended response data
External organization/person analyzed data (e.g., external organization administered and scored the nursing licensing exam)
9) State how many persons submitted evidence that was evaluated.
If applicable, please include the sampling technique used.
10) Summarize the actual results.
11) How did your program use the results? --or-- Explain planned use of results.
Please be specific.
12) Beyond the results, were there additional conclusions or discoveries? This can include insights about assessment procedures, teaching and learning, program aspects and so on.