Program: Public Administration (MPA)
Date: Thu Oct 07, 2010 - 1:07:02 pm
1) Below are the program student learning outcomes submitted last year. Please add/delete/modify as needed.
The overarching question is, "What do people in public service need to know to be effective in their work?
This question is currently addressed by our Capstone, the culminating experience where the learning outcomes include:
- Students can work effectively in teams
- They can make use of what they learned in the program
- They can make an original contribution to the public issue they are addressing
- Students can communicate effectively
- Students can think critically
- Students understand the political, legislative, and budgetary processes
- Students are familiar with administrative law procedures
2) As of last year, your program's SLOs were published as follows. Please update as needed.
Student Handbook. URL, if available online:
Information Sheet, Flyer, or Brochure URL, if available online:
UHM Catalog. Page Number:
Course Syllabi. URL, if available online: http://www.puba.hawaii.edu/Pages/program/courses.html
3) Below is the link to your program's curriculum map (if submitted in 2009). If it has changed or if we do not have your program's curriculum map, please upload it as a PDF.
4) The percentage of courses in 2009 that had course SLOs explicitly stated on the syllabus, a website, or other publicly available document is indicated below. Please update as needed.
5) State the assessment question(s) and/or goals of the assessment activity. Include the SLOs that were targeted, if applicable.
Are our current students prepared to work effectively in public service?
6) State the type(s) of evidence gathered.
1. Capstone work
2. Written narratives
7) Who interpreted or analyzed the evidence that was collected?
Ad hoc faculty group
Persons or organization outside the university
Advisors (in student support services)
Students (graduate or undergraduate)
8) How did they evaluate, analyze, or interpret the evidence?
Used professional judgment (no rubric or scoring guide used)
Compiled survey results
Used qualitative methods on interview, focus group, open-ended response data
External organization/person analyzed data (e.g., external organization administered and scored the nursing licensing exam)
9) State how many persons submitted evidence that was evaluated.
If applicable, please include the sampling technique used.
Those enrolled in PUBA 710 and PUBA 601--approximately 40.
10) Summarize the actual results.
Overall we are satisfied with our current students' level of work.
11) How did your program use the results? --or-- Explain planned use of results.
Please be specific.
We intend to use these results to move toward a more explicit statement of Program SLOs and the development of a curriculum map.