Program: Marine Biology (BS)
Date: Tue Sep 14, 2010 - 12:44:56 pm
1) Below are the program student learning outcomes submitted last year. Please add/delete/modify as needed.
Student Learning Outcomes
Assessment Data-Collection Method
1. Students will be able to apply a scientific process.
Ø Design and conduct experiments
Ø Generate, test, and analyze hypotheses
Ø Develop laboratories techniques with laboratory safety
Ø Check students’ laboratory notebooks.
Ø Observe students as they perform a laboratory practical on a specific technique
2. Students will be able to communicate about biological science.
Ø Write scientific laboratory reports, research proposal, and poster boards.
Ø Demonstrate ability to use scientific journals, periodicals, and electronic media to access current biological information.
Ø Demonstrate ability to evaluate journal articles from the primary literature.
Ø Prepare and deliver oral reports on scientific findings.
Ø Review students’ written laboratory reports, research proposals, and poster boards.
Ø Evaluate students’ oral presentations in various courses
3. Students will be able to recall foundational biological information necessary for entering post-baccalaureate school or entering a career in the biological sciences.
Ø Demonstrate understanding of cell structure, cell physiology, and molecular processes of cells.
Ø Demonstrate understanding of the principles of organismal physiology, evolution, and ecology.
Ø Demonstrate understanding of the relationship between cellular/molecular and supraorganismic principles.
Ø Students’ answers on exams that are similar to the standardized tests.
Ø Obtain students’ results on different standardized tests.
Ø Senior capstone experience
Ø Research papers
Ø Student portfolios
2) As of last year, your program's SLOs were published as follows. Please update as needed.
Student Handbook. URL, if available online:
Information Sheet, Flyer, or Brochure URL, if available online:
UHM Catalog. Page Number:
Course Syllabi. URL, if available online:
3) Below is the link to your program's curriculum map (if submitted in 2009). If it has changed or if we do not have your program's curriculum map, please upload it as a PDF.
- File (03/16/2020)
4) The percentage of courses in 2009 that had course SLOs explicitly stated on the syllabus, a website, or other publicly available document is indicated below. Please update as needed.
5) State the assessment question(s) and/or goals of the assessment activity. Include the SLOs that were targeted, if applicable.
6) State the type(s) of evidence gathered.
7) Who interpreted or analyzed the evidence that was collected?
Ad hoc faculty group
Persons or organization outside the university
Advisors (in student support services)
Students (graduate or undergraduate)
8) How did they evaluate, analyze, or interpret the evidence?
Used professional judgment (no rubric or scoring guide used)
Compiled survey results
Used qualitative methods on interview, focus group, open-ended response data
External organization/person analyzed data (e.g., external organization administered and scored the nursing licensing exam)
9) State how many persons submitted evidence that was evaluated.
If applicable, please include the sampling technique used.
10) Summarize the actual results.
11) How did your program use the results? --or-- Explain planned use of results.
Please be specific.
12) Beyond the results, were there additional conclusions or discoveries? This can include insights about assessment procedures, teaching and learning, program aspects and so on.
13) Other important information:
Assessment Committee has been assigned and will convene to address needs of the department.