Program: Botany (PhD)
Date: Fri Oct 17, 2014 - 10:20:30 am
1) Below are your program's student learning outcomes (SLOs). Please update as needed.
- Demonstrated mastery of subject area including methodology and techniques
- Demonstrated proficiency in oral and written communication
- Demonstrated ability to plan, conduct and analyze independent/original research
- Develop abilities to contribute as responsible and productive professionals in botanical sciences and related fields.
2) Your program's SLOs are published as follows. Please update as needed.
Student Handbook. URL, if available online:
Information Sheet, Flyer, or Brochure URL, if available online:
UHM Catalog. Page Number:
Course Syllabi. URL, if available online:
3) Select one option:
4) For your program, the percentage of courses that have course SLOs explicitly stated on the syllabus, a website, or other publicly available document is as follows. Please update as needed.
5) Did your program engage in any program assessment activities between June 1, 2013 and September 30, 2014? (e.g., establishing/revising outcomes, aligning the curriculum to outcomes, collecting evidence, interpreting evidence, using results, revising the assessment plan, creating surveys or tests, etc.)
No (skip to question 14)
6) For the period between June 1, 2013 and September 30, 2014: State the assessment question(s) and/or assessment goals. Include the SLOs that were targeted, if applicable.
To decide the evidence to collect to assess all SLOs and to develop evaluation tools.
7) State the type(s) of evidence gathered to answer the assessment question and/or meet the assessment goals that were given in Question #6.
The department decided to use dissertation and dissertation defense as the evidence to assess the SLOs. We also developed a rubric to assess all SLOs.
8) State how many persons submitted evidence that was evaluated. If applicable, please include the sampling technique used.
This will begin with upcoming defenses in 2014/2015.
9) Who interpreted or analyzed the evidence that was collected? (Check all that apply.)
Ad hoc faculty group
Persons or organization outside the university
Advisors (in student support services)
Students (graduate or undergraduate)
10) How did they evaluate, analyze, or interpret the evidence? (Check all that apply.)
Used professional judgment (no rubric or scoring guide used)
Compiled survey results
Used qualitative methods on interview, focus group, open-ended response data
External organization/person analyzed data (e.g., external organization administered and scored the nursing licensing exam)
11) For the assessment question(s) and/or assessment goal(s) stated in Question #6:
Summarize the actual results.
No results yet.
12) State how the program used the results or plans to use the results. Please be specific.
13) Beyond the results, were there additional conclusions or discoveries?
This can include insights about assessment procedures, teaching and learning, program aspects and so on.
14) If the program did not engage in assessment activities, please explain.
Or, if the program did engage in assessment activities, please add any other important information here.
We focused on developing the procedures and tools over this past year and will begin gathering and evaluating evidence this year. We will also draft and discuss the curriculum map.