Visiting Scholar Applications

The Center for Korean Studies furthers its mission as an academic and research institution by inviting visiting scholars ("Visiting Colleagues") to the Center. Each year, scholars from universities and other institutions throughout the world come to the Center for periods ranging from a minimum of six months to a maximum of twelve months to carry out their research projects.

These researchers and scholars, representing various disciplines of Korean studies, are drawn to the Center for access to the research facilities of the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa. The visiting scholars, in turn, are expected to be a resource for the Center's faculty, students, and the Hawai‘i community as a whole.


Application Procedures for Visiting Scholars

The Center welcomes applications from scholars seeking to do research on Korea-related topics using materials and academic exchanges usually not available at the scholar's home institution.

The Center provides shared office space for visiting scholars, subject to availability, and assists them with access to the collections of the University's Hamilton Library. Visiting scholars who are accepted may be granted access to campus-wide wifi.

The Center does not provide financial assistance or housing accommodations for visiting scholars.

Prospective visiting scholars must make prior arrangements with at least one CKS-affiliated faculty member with whom he or she plans to work and should indicate that faculty member's name in his or her application. Click here for a current list of our faculty members and their fields of study.

Visiting scholars are expected to contribute to the Center's activities during their residence by giving a public lecture or presentation at the Center or to classes taught by the Center's faculty. In addition, they are expected to participate actively in the Center's programs and activities.

Persons interested in applying to the Visiting Scholar Program should address application materials to:
Director, Center for Korean Studies
University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa
1881 East-West Road
Honolulu, HI 96822

An electronic submission of Visiting Scholar Application is acceptable and may be addressed to

The application deadline for the fall 2024 semester is January 15, 2024 (The earliest start date is August 15, 2024).

The application deadline for the spring 2025 semester is August 15, 2024 (The earliest start date is February 1, 2025).

All application materials must be submitted in English. A complete application consists of a cover letter accompanied by the following documents:

  1. A cover letter.
  2. A completed Visitor Information Form. [Download here]
  3. A curriculum vitae or professional resumé (with the applicant’s date and place of birth and a complete list of publications).
  4. A detailed proposal (3–5 pages) outlining the research that will be undertaken while in residence at the Center. The proposal should include a statement of the objectives of the research, a description of the methodology, and a bibliography. It should also include a description of the academic and scholarly value of the proposal, a realistic plan of how the project will be carried out, justification for research at the University of Hawai‘i Center for Korean Studies, and the name of a CKS faculty member with whom the applicant has arranged to work.
  5. A brief description of a lecture or other presentation the applicant proposes to deliver or indication of other ways in which he or she plans to contribute to Center programs while in residence.
  6. Two letters of recommendation from scholars with expertise in the area of the applicant’s intended research.
  7. A certified statement of financial support from the applicant’s place of employment or financial institution. The statement must show support of a minimum US$2,000 per month for each month of residence for the J-1 visitor plus an additional $700 per month for the J-2 spouse and $500 per month for each accompanying J-2 child.
  8. Confirm English proficiency through the results of the TOEFL or IELTS or a signed certificate or letter from an academic institution or English language school no more than two years old. If you are unable to provide documentation of English proficiency, an interview conducted by UH is an option. In this case, please indicate that you would like an English interview on a separate sheet of paper when mailing application materials.
  9. Signed "Export Controls Screening Form for J-1 Exchange Visitor and J-2 Dependents" form. Please sign next to "J-1 EV's signature" line. Link to the form:
  10. Copy of passport biodata/expiration page(s) for J-1 EV and J-2 Dependents as required by the "Export Controls Screening" Form. If submitting an electronic application, please send copies via UH Filedrop ( to since it contains sensitive information.

Please note:

    • Please allow thirty business days after the application deadline before inquiring about the status of your application.
    • When visiting scholars publish the results of their research following their tenure at the Center, they are expected to acknowledge the Center in their publications.
    • Travel outside of Hawai‘i while a visiting scholar is allowed for academic and personal matters; however, the Center will allow travel outside Hawai‘i for no more than thirty days with the necessary approvals from the Center director and the University's Faculty and Scholar Immigration Services office.
    • No fee is required of those accepted as visiting scholars. In order to help defray the high costs of operations, we welcome visiting scholars' donations to the Center through the University of Hawaii Foundation.
    • If your institution requires a letter of acceptance more than six months in advance, it is your responsibility to apply for the appropriate application review deadline a year prior to your desired start date.


Questions related to visiting scholar application procedures should be addressed to:

Center for Korean Studies
University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa
1881 East-West Road
Honolulu, HI 96822 USA
Telephone: (808) 956-7041


Many of the technical questions you may have regarding J-1 exchange visitor visas may be answered by reference to the University's Faculty & Scholar Immigration Services site.

Scroll to Top